• Other

Votes: 4 7.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGodInAGreyHoodie

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I am assuming 3 of NE 53 rosters spots will not be used to have "depth" at punter. So who will be our punter?

I am assuming 3 of NE 53 rosters spots will not be used to have "depth" at punter. So who will be our punter?

Our last kicker/punter from the Dakotas didn't do to badly while he was a Patriot.........

Drago if he can work out his stride issues and stuff - even if he's pretty much even with the other guys I think they'll give it to him just based on age - if he's a solid punter we can have him locked up for a while.

One thing about Drago is he has played in bad weather unlike hanson who for some reason didn't wear gloves last year and promptly fumbled the ball during the first bad weather game.

Hulk Hogan

One of the major issues of deciding keeping which punter will be his ability to hold for placekicks.

One of the major issues of deciding keeping which punter will be his ability to hold for placekicks.

Not really, if punter sucks at holding for place kickers and can punt like hell, you can use someone one else to hold. In fact many teams don't use the punter, but a backup QB as the holder. Makes it easier to do a fake FG and then a passing play or a fake PAT and go for 2 points.

Not really, if punter sucks at holding for place kickers and can punt like hell, you can use someone one else to hold. In fact many teams don't use the punter, but a backup QB as the holder. Makes it easier to do a fake FG and then a passing play or a fake PAT and go for 2 points.

Point well taken. Pats usually have used the punter though.

But you are correct in your comment.

More than likely it will be Drago. Remember last year it was Baugher's to lose, than he has that incident with his father and is cut. The financial savings on Drago vs. the other 2 vets is probably not too significant but somethingt that also factors into a decision. O'Connell could also hold, it is a small way of getting him some 'game' time, though not significant

When is the last time a backup QB was the holder for the Pats in the BB era. Anyway, I think it all depends on the combination of factors: obviously leg stregth, technique (which Drago, as of now, is last), hang time, placement, AND holding ability. My early vote is for Hanson, but it will all be decided in TC and first few preseason games maybe so anyone can win or lose the job depending on perfomance, IMO.

Last year. Matt C. held for awhile and then one fumbled snap led to Hanson.

Sorry, must have missed that I guess. Anyway, my early guess is still the same for now because at this point, Drago's technique with slow delivery scares me since that speaks blocked punts right away. However, if with some coaching he can drastically improve that area, he will certainly make it interesting, just depends how long it will take him to adjust. Player is intriguing to me only because of his helmet. To be fair, I don't know why his net avg was so low throughout his career (bad special teams coverage or more of his fault) but either way it is definetely an important stat in my book and that is why I ruled him out right away. We'll see what happens.

When is the last time a backup QB was the holder for the Pats in the BB era. Anyway, I think it all depends on the combination of factors: obviously leg stregth, technique (which Drago, as of now, is last), hang time, placement, AND holding ability. My early vote is for Hanson, but it will all be decided in TC and first few preseason games maybe so anyone can win or lose the job depending on perfomance, IMO.

Not that I am questioning the brilliance of the great hooded one, but it seems illogical to use the punter as the holder instead of the back up QB unless the back up QB is inept at being the holder.

First, because you might want to run fake, and the back up QB ought be a better passer/rusher than your punter or you need a new back up QB.

Second, most of the time the punter is the back up kicker and the kicker is the back up punter. Which means that if your kicker is injured you are going to be using a backup kicker and backup holder (not a good combo).

Not that I am questioning the brilliance of the great hooded one, but it seems illogical to use the punter as the holder instead of the back up QB unless the back up QB is inept at being the holder.

First, because you might want to run fake, and the back up QB ought be a better passer/rusher than your punter or you need a new back up QB.

Second, most of the time the punter is the back up kicker and the kicker is the back up punter. Which means that if your kicker is injured you are going to be using a backup kicker and backup holder (not a good combo).

That's a great point you make. Not sure why BB does that either. My guess is that he doesn't really like to go for fake FGs, he either goes FG or just goes for it on 4th down thinking that the best chance to get a 1st down is to put his best players (Brady and Co.) out there versus trying to suprise the other team with the backup QB throwing or running when they are rusty from holding the clipboard all game. Probably just playing percentages. Who knows.

When is the last time a backup QB was the holder for the Pats in the BB era.

When is the last time in the BB era that a LB was drafted before the 4th round? Let alone 2 LBs?

If we've learned anything over BB's career, it is to never assume he will not pull a 180.

Last edited:
More than likely it will be Drago. Remember last year it was Baugher's to lose, than he has that incident with his father and is cut. The financial savings on Drago vs. the other 2 vets is probably not too significant but somethingt that also factors into a decision. O'Connell could also hold, it is a small way of getting him some 'game' time, though not significant

This has been addressed previously, but you have the timeline backwards: Baugher was released before the incident with his dad, not the other way around.

Welker doesn't think that'll be an issue. :D

Punting is for ****ies. I say we go for it on every 4th down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand