PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Will Be Our Starting Secondary Tomorrow???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPatBoy

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I mean are we really thin back there. ..........I know Samuel will be 1 corner, and Harrison and Sanders at Safety.......Will Chad scott be our other corner with Poteat and Hawkins as our only reserves????If someone else should get injured we are really hurting. This is like last year, we had to play back ups who weren't 100% last year because of injuries and it just led to more injuries. One thing is clear is that we can't go into another season counting Gay as a contributor, he is very fragile.....Anyway just was trying to figure out what our actual Starting secondary was going to be tomorrow!!

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/ - here are some ideas..

honestly i dont think the corners wouldve made a huge diff...our secondary with wilson and hobbs in is 27th or 28th in the league against the pass.
More concern is the O-line, need to run block and pass block better if we need brady and the RB's to be effective.

Poteat is best playing nickel. If Hawkins can go, I'd put him outside and use Chad at FS - otherwise, Chad gets the outside slot. In addition to considering bringing Spann up from the Practice Squad, signing someone like Ray Mickens might be a good option. He played last season with Cleveburgh and would have familiarity with Cincy and maybe some with the defensive scheme from Romeo's system.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Poteat is best playing nickel. If Hawkins can go, I'd put him outside and use Chad at FS - otherwise, Chad gets the outside slot. In addition to considering bringing Spann up from the Practice Squad, signing someone like Ray Mickens might be a good option. He played last season with Cleveburgh and would have familiarity with Cincy and maybe some with the defensive scheme from Romeo's system.

You have a good point Box Ray Mickens might be a good option it will be interesting to see what secondary help the team will be going after soon
because this is starting to remind me of last year and we can't afford to send Troy to the secondary right now.

What we know for certain:

CB - Samuel
SS - Harrison

What we don't know:

CB - ?
FS - ?

Who's Available:

Chad Scott
Artrell Hawkins
James Sanders
(Willie Andrews)
(Don Davis)
(Troy Brown)

Most likely scenario:

CB - Samuel
CB - C. Scott
FS - Hawkins
SS - Harrison

NB - Poteat
DB - Sanders

Heh Mike, don't forget Alexander is a former SS and Vrabel has played back as a SS to mess up Rothlesberger - not that Palmer is that goofy.

Edit: How did we forget - BAM!!!!

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Heh Mike, don't forget Alexander is a former SS and Vrabel has played back as a SS to mess up Rothlesberger - not that Palmer is that goofy.

Well I guess if we add Bam, who is on the practice squad, we'd have to add Antwain Spann too.

But I doubt we see a roster move tomorrow.

I can't see Vrabel playing SS at this stage, and I don't see Alexander defense-ready just yet (stick to special teams).

Although we'll never know what BB has up his sleeve.

pats1 said:
Well I guess if we add Bam, who is on the practice squad, we'd have to add Antwain Spann too.

But I doubt we see a roster move tomorrow.

I can't see Vrabel playing SS at this stage, and I don't see Alexander defense-ready just yet (stick to special teams).

Although we'll never know what BB has up his sleeve.
But "we" don't have to be right, it's interesting tossing out the various options with some connection to past secondary play.

Box_O_Rocks said:
But "we" don't have to be right, it's interesting tossing out the various options with some connection to past secondary play.
who knows ..troy brown may play in the secondary tommorow and willie andrews moves to receiver and we discover an unknown potential in the passing game ;)

Put Brady in at CB. He obviosuly can't play QB anymore.

SVN said:
who knows ..troy brown may play in the secondary tommorow and willie andrews moves to receiver and we discover an unknown potential in the passing game ;)
Never say never in BB-land. :D

The big question to me is Hawkins. Is he healthy finally? A healthy Hawk next to Harrison and I'm much less concerned with the DBs, even with Scott at CB. The one thing Scott does very well is play the bump and run, if he's jamming at the line with competent safety help over him, I'm still biting my fingernails... but that's better than the gnawing to the phalanges that will happen with anybody else we have at FS.

Box_O_Rocks said:

You just gave me a thought. Don Davis plays some.

RayClay said:
You just gave me a thought.
:eek: I didn't mean to, I'm so sorry, does it hurt much? :(

;)

I think that you have it right if Hawkins is healthy. I would bring up Childress and have Davis available at safety. I suspect that Davis is a better option than Spann, as is Andrews. However, Spann might be brought up to play Special Teams, instead of having Childress as the emergency defensive back, using Andrews in that role instead.

I would sign one of the available free agents, but what do I know? I would have done that when Jones was put on IR and when Mitchell was put on IR. In training camp, we had depth at safety and on special teams, and then we didn't when we didn't replace those two (and when we lost Beisel and Gardner two more Ster's).

Just BTW, we didn't have better than this last year when the defense looked pretty good, certainly good enough to win. Sanders and Poteat played nickel and dime respectfully most of the season. Hawkins was starting. So, now we have Harrison and Scott. Last year, we had Wilson and Hobbs. This is OK in general but we don't match up well against Cinci.

pats1 said:
What we know for certain:

CB - Samuel
SS - Harrison

What we don't know:

CB - ?
FS - ?

Who's Available:

Chad Scott
Artrell Hawkins
James Sanders
(Willie Andrews)
(Don Davis)
(Troy Brown)

Most likely scenario:

CB - Samuel
CB - C. Scott
FS - Hawkins
SS - Harrison

NB - Poteat
DB - Sanders

Am i the only one that is excited to see how Hawkins and Harrison play side by side??

I liked what i saw last year with Hawkins.

With more guys gone from the secondary (nothing new in the past few years),there is one way to play this game defensively - GAMBLE = BLITZ - BLITZ - BLITZ! Better get there too! - I plan on Pees doing this more most of the game than the previous games so far this year.

Keegs said:
Am i the only one that is excited to see how Hawkins and Harrison play side by side??

I liked what i saw last year with Hawkins.

This would work I think, Harrison and Hawkins, hit them all day long back there, as the front 7 applies heavy pressure - but above all, must stop Rudy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News