Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Brady

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Mills

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you aren't geeking out thinking about this offense then you are not a Patriots fan.

Graham has been the #1 in the past because of his excellent blocking skills, along with his acceptable reception skills. This is the type of TE that will get lots of reps in 1, 2 or 3 wide receiver sets. As a TE, Watson is a great receiver, and was our #1 or#2 receiver in 2006. We no longer need a TE who plays like a WR. We now have actual wide receivers. We don't even need a TE to be the slot receiver. We have one of those also (or perhaps two).

There are two wide receivers that I would put on the field with the three wide receiver set: Thomas or Brady. And I think that we will see many 3 wide receiver sets.

Shouldn't we expect to see a lot of Maroney or Faulk in the backfield with Tom Brady, the three wideouts and Kyle Brady or Thomas?

My guess is that our number one #1 will be Kyle Brady. We are paying him $2.65M a year to replace Graham. We expect him to do so. That being said, I have absolutely no problem with Thomas continuing to improve and beating Brady out for that role. I just don't think that it's likely. And on 3rd and one, I'd have both Brady and Thomas playing.

Graham has been the #1 in the past because of his excellent blocking skills, along with his acceptable reception skills. This is the type of TE that will get lots of reps in 1, 2 or 3 wide receiver sets. As a TE, Watson is a great receiver, and was our #1 or#2 receiver in 2006. We no longer need a TE who plays like a WR. We now have actual wide receivers. We don't even need a TE to be the slot receiver. We have one of those also (or perhaps two).

There are two wide receivers that I would put on the field with the three wide receiver set: Thomas or Brady. And I think that we will see many 3 wide receiver sets.

Shouldn't we expect to see a lot of Maroney or Faulk in the backfield with Tom Brady, the three wideouts and Kyle Brady or Thomas?

My guess is that our number one #1 will be Kyle Brady. We are paying him $2.65M a year to replace Graham. We expect him to do so. That being said, I have absolutely no problem with Thomas continuing to improve and beating Brady out for that role. I just don't think that it's likely. And on 3rd and one, I'd have both Brady and Thomas playing.

BTW--Benjamin Watson says hi. :)

Last edited:

Maybe you're right. However, I don't think you're giving Watson enough credit as both a blocking TE and a receiving TE. IMO, Watson's the most complete TE on the roster. As such, he's our #1.

And to elaborate on another point, I think we'll see enough situational 2 TE sets and even 3 TE sets despite the preponderance of good to great receivers on this squad.

Our base backfield set is two WR's, two TE's, a RB and a QB
On passing downs, we replace a TE with a WR; and sometimes sub for the RB
On short yardage, we replace a TE or a WR with a FB (or h-back)
On extremely short yeardage, we do go with 3 TE's, and a FB
And yes, we sometimes go with zero TE's and 4 WR's

We have many, many possibilities with our present offensive players.

Maybe you're right. However, I don't think you're giving Watson enough credit as both a blocking TE and a receiving TE. IMO, Watson's the most complete TE on the roster. As such, he's our #1.

And to elaborate on another point, I think we'll see enough situational 2 TE sets and even 3 TE sets despite the preponderance of good to great receivers on this squad.

Our base backfield set is two WR's, two TE's, a RB and a QB
On passing downs, we replace a TE with a WR; and sometimes sub for the RB
On short yardage, we replace a TE or a WR with a FB (or h-back)
On extremely short yeardage, we do go with 3 TE's, and a FB
And yes, we sometimes go with zero TE's and 4 WR's

We have many, many possibilities with our present offensive players.

Thanks, but I know.

I really don't understand all the Dave Thomas love on this board. 11 receptions for 159 yards and one good game against Jacksonville.... I have hope for the guy, but he's got a long way to go to compare to a Watson or even a Brady.

After all, Watson is on the cusp of a breakout season, for the third time. This time's a charm.

Take a look at the thread on over used football cliches!!

I really don't understand all the Dave Thomas love on this board. 11 receptions for 159 yards and one good game against Jacksonville.... I have hope for the guy, but he's got a long way to go to compare to a Watson or even a Brady.

As someone who copes with Dave Thomas Love, I'll give you two reasons: his hands. Unlike Graham or Watson, Thomas consistently caught everything thrown his way (as relatively rare as they were). I think he's a guy we'll be very happy to have for the next 3 years, and let's hope beyond that.

haha this thread gave me a good chuckle.

what's tomorrow, who is our #1 RB?

Hands down, lights out, no doubt, without a question it's Watson.

I'm glad to provide chuckles. IMHO, Kyle Brady will have more TD's and be generally more important to the team than Watson this year. Brady is replacing Graham in all his roles. He is also being paid $2.65M per year. Watson is a wide receiver in a TE's body. His role as a receiver will be greatly reduced by the acquisitions of quality receivers.

As has been pointed out, the real question is where Thomas is in his development. He is the other TE brought in to replace Graham. Watson should be able to get on the field (to the cost of Thomas). He is a fine talent. But, this year, he doesn't fit as well as Brady.

haha this thread gave me a good chuckle.

what's tomorrow, who is our #1 RB?

Hmm, I'll go out on a limb and say... Watson!! :D
Thomas was hurt and wasn't even in passing camp.
I don't think he'll be a threat this year.
If he gets healthy he could make for a very good #2 possession TE complement though.

I'm glad to provide chuckles. IMHO, Kyle Brady will have more TD's and be generally more important to the team than Watson this year. Brady is replacing Graham in all his roles. He is also being paid $2.65M per year. Watson is a wide receiver in a TE's body. His role as a receiver will be greatly reduced by the acquisitions of quality receivers.

As has been pointed out, the real question is where Thomas is in his development. He is the other TE brought in to replace Graham. Watson should be able to get on the field (to the cost of Thomas). He is a fine talent. But, this year, he doesn't fit as well as Brady.

Watson will be the team's #1 tight end. If this team didn't feel that Watson could handle the job, they'd have found a way to keep Graham around instead of going after an NFL senior citizen like Brady.

Thomas showed a lot in limited action and will be a credible force, Brady has tons of experience, but seems to have been brought here as more of a blocker, so I have to go with Ben Watson.. this will be a good year for him, he will see a lot of mismatches as our WR's are more dangerous than previously.

Well spoken gentlemen, a truly unreliable poll to ignore both of these players and Vrabel.

- Define #1 TE.

- With Grahambo's departure, I go along with Pony's estimation that Dave Thomas is most likely the best all around TE - the key for him is his rapport with Tommy, that foot injury didn't do him any favors.

- From what I've read Kyle Brady is now the team's premier blocker at TE, but he's also a pretty well balanced TE, his veteran status is going to earn him some critical situational roles, similar to Fauria's onside's kick and hail mary defender roles.

- Ben Watson is still the big play TE and the one who has the strongest relationship with Tommy.

- Garrett Mills is an unknown yet, it was my impression from the reporting that most of his reps came with Matt Cassel and not Tommy.

- Matt Kranchick played on a 2004-2005 Steelers' team that minimized the TE, whether this was due to Kranchick's limitations or Cowher's staff's limitations... Per NFL.com his one start for the Giants earned him his one Pro-reception (6 yds) and 3 tackles, presumably on Special Teams - I like seeing the tackle numbers...this 2004 item offers some hope for Matt: http://www.pennlive.com/weblogs/pas...s/penn_campbells/archives/2004_04.html#020669I suspect that his time with the Steelers greatly improved his development as a blocker. It looks like he may have another year of Practice Squad eligibility, it will be interesting to see how things work out for him. Per NFLDraftScout.com (pay site)CB in Prep school, DE in High school? He's either a specimen or somebody's smoking rope. Wants to join the FBI when he grows up. I hope he does have some Practice Squad eligibility, you have to like the potential here.

- Jake Nordin is the same size as Grahambo, played H-back & TE at Northern Illinois, MLB & Wingback in High School:
http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=32520Another kid with some nice potential, TE is pretty competitive this year.
I think the team is even stronger here than last year..and with two young prospects..

Graham was primarily a blocker. Was he the #1 TE?

Watson will be the team's #1 tight end. If this team didn't feel that Watson could handle the job, they'd have found a way to keep Graham around instead of going after an NFL senior citizen like Brady.

As someone who copes with Dave Thomas Love, I'll give you two reasons: his hands. Unlike Graham or Watson, Thomas consistently caught everything thrown his way (as relatively rare as they were). I think he's a guy we'll be very happy to have for the next 3 years, and let's hope beyond that.

I might have hands of glue but I wouldn't last one play in the NFL. I think Thomas has the makings of a decent possession TE but that's about it. I hope he proves me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes