PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who is on the roster bubble?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
At this point a lot of this has played out already (Langi and Butler have become locks) and it is not unusual for the Pats to cut the 52 and 53rd guy all year long. That being said who is worth watching in the last preseason game?

RB - Bolden - We know what he brings so not much to watch here but he is on the bubble. Whether he makes it or not probably depends more on how other guys do particularly on STs than how he does. Sadly it appears Foster has little to no shot at this point.

WR- Carr/Lucien - It looks like Slater will be good for week 1 or close to it. This means there is probably just room for one. I think Carr has the edge but Lucien isn't far behind. It is possible neither make the team but it depends on Mitchell's health and much much they plan to use their RBs.

OL - Cole Croston - He can play guard and OT which is a sticking point and has held up well. If the Pats decide to keep 9 OL he probably makes it. Also if the Pats decide to IR Garcia (I don't think they will but they may figure this is a lost year anyway with how behind he is) I think Waddle could make it.

DL - Keionta Davis - EDIT - seems like I confused him for another player. Nevermind.

LB - Trevor Bates/Van Noy/McClellin/Roberts - Right now I would say there are 3 spots here for 4 guys and I would not be surprised at whoever is cut. Bates seems to be the odd man out but I wouldn't be sure. I could see any of the following being cut for him but Roberts be a bit more surprising than others. Personally I would keep Bates and cut one of the others.

DB - Kenny Moore/Damarius Travis = Moore has cooled down a bit after a great start but still is a guy to keep an eye on and Travis with only 3 safeties on the team you really want to see the field (all due respect to Ebner) has made a good case. There may be room for neither or both.

Anyone worth adding or do you think I should take some players off?

Last edited:
Jacoby Brissett?

I think you've hit the major positions Bob. I would also add the TE position...does O'Shannessey edge out Hollister and does Bill even carry 3 tight ends going into the first game.

McLellin hasn't practiced in weeks. Possibly going to IR.

Keionta Davis ...

Davis hasn't been medically cleared to practice (AFAIK), so I'm not sure when he would have "shown" anything. He's probably going to Reserve/NFI.
I expect mcclellin and solder both to be back after Thursday and ready to go week 1. Or soon thereafter.

22 players on the bubble competing for the final nine roster spots.

Working on the following assumptions:
- Edelman, Rivers and Garcia will be placed on IR
- Davis and Jelks begin the season on the NFI list
- McClellin does not begin the season on IR
- Langi and A Butler are among those elevated to 'locks'
- If you want to keep Garcia and/or McClellin for in-season IR then they must make the 53-man roster first - and you need to initially cut one other player

First, any of the following would be a shock to make the 53-man roster - in other words, they are not 'on the bubble'.
  • RB LeShun Daniels
  • FB Glenn Gronkowski
  • TE Sam Cotton
  • WR Cody Hollister
  • WR K.J. Maye
  • WR Tony Washington
  • C James Ferentz
  • G Jason King
  • T Max Rich
  • DT Josh Augusta
  • DT Darius Kilgo
  • DT Woodrow Hamilton
  • DE Mikey Bart
  • DE Nick Usher
  • LB Brooks Ellis
  • LB Christian Kuntz
  • S David Jones
  • S Jason Thompson
  • CB D.J. Killings
  • CB Will Likely

If my math is correct that brings the roster down to 66 players. That in turn means that nine players from the following group make the roster, and the remaining 13 do not.
  • QB Jacoby Brissett
  • RB Brandon Bolden
  • RB D.J. Foster
  • TE Jacob Hollister
  • TE James O'Shaughnessy
  • WR Austin Carr
  • WR Devin Lucien
  • OL Jamil Douglas
  • OL Cole Croston
  • OL Conor McDermott
  • OL LaAdrian Waddle
  • DE Geneo Grissom
  • LB Marquis Flowers
  • LB Elandon Roberts
  • LB Trevor Bates
  • LB Jonathan Freeny
  • S Jordan Richards
  • S Damarius Travis
  • CB Justin Coleman
  • CB Cyrus Jones
  • CB Jonathan Jones
  • CB Kenny Moore

If Lewis doesn't make the team, that would be the biggest shock of the year!!!!

There are always surprise cuts - I would say Dion Lewis is fighting to make the team (will probably be there)

McLellin hasn't practiced in weeks. Possibly going to IR.

Keionta Davis ...

Davis hasn't been medically cleared to practice (AFAIK), so I'm not sure when he would have "shown" anything. He's probably going to Reserve/NFI.

I thought he was out there. Maybe I got his number confused with someone else. My bad there.

Lewis must have run over somebody's dog (OT: my brother's wife did that. Ran over bosses dog in front of the kids) with folks posting he's on the bubble as a possible cut. Possibly he could be traded, but I would not do so.

I thought he was out there. Maybe I got his number confused with someone else. My bad there.

No problem. With the crappy camera work during the Pats' pre-season games (been that way for years), it's really difficult to see any player's number clearly. I frequently mis-identify players, though not as often a Fauria and Roche do.

As recently as the last home practice of last week, Davis was still on the sideline in shorts. Never having practiced to this point, I kinda doubt that the Pats would put him in now when they can NFI him and evaluate him during THREE weeks of practice later (and after his neck has had more time to heal).

Lewis must have run over somebody's dog (OT: my brother's wife did that. Ran over bosses dog in front of the kids) with folks posting he's on the bubble as a possible cut. Possibly he could be traded, but I would not do so.
He is our best RB

If Lewis doesn't make the team, that would be the biggest shock of the year!!!!

To an extent but he's had some bad injuries and had a couple of fumbles late last year. Rumor has it that forte will be cut and BB might want a blocking in the tackle runner.

But I hope dion makes it

To an extent but he's had some bad injuries and had a couple of fumbles late last year. Rumor has it that forte will be cut and BB might want a blocking in the tackle runner.

But I hope dion makes it

Why cut him when you can trade him for a player or a maybe a pick? I am still not buying it. The guy's a very good player when healthy. He will make this team or be traded. That's the only two scenarios i see.

There are always surprise cuts - I would say Dion Lewis is fighting to make the team (will probably be there)

Why do you think he'll be cut?

I'll give you two reasons he won't

1) With JE11 going down, he's now your primary KR until Cyrus proves he can handle it.

2) He won't be cut because he's good. If he's good, that means he'll stay on the roster or be traded for a player/position that BB sees as more desperate of a situation than RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe