PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who do you expect to lead the team in sacks this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how are the pats really going to go sackless?

by following in your footsteps?

dont worry,they will get a sack

just because Mommy told you that when you turned 13 doesn't mean it's true...as you well know

how are the pats really going to go sackless?

by following in your footsteps?

dont worry,they will get a sack

just because Mommy told you that when you turned 13 doesn't mean it's true...as you well know

wow!you guys are brutal

I agree with this position.

If Cunningham is as effective at OLB as Tully, we should be in good shape. I am not one that measures this by sacks, but that it is another thread.
The most effective pass rushes we have had over the years were not the ones that necessarily got the most sacks, but these 3 facotrs:
1) Rodney Harrision blitzed out of sub packages more than any S I have ever seen. Harrison rarely got a sack, a tipped ball, or even a hit on the QB. But he came at 100mph and there were literally hundreds of times that I saw a QB get rid of the ball before he wanted to because Rodney was bearing down so hard that he couldnt wait to see whether the RB would make the block or not. That alone is a trait that should put Rodney in the Hall, btw.
2) Mike Vrabel had a ton of 'near miss' pass rushes. Rushes where he was 'blocked' but kept momentum toward the QB and wouldnt let himself get ridden totally by, and could stay close enough to at least swat at the QB. A rusher that many, many times influenced the QB by being a danger even if 'blocked'.
3) Seymours inside pressure in sub packages made an enormous difference in our D. When he was not in, not 100% or just not effective we were a different defense than when he was dominating the G trying to block him, again whether he actually got to the QB or not. (He had a ton of hits after the QB released the ball, a clear sign of influence on decision making)

In the NFL now, I think that at least half the passes are plays that it is impossible to get a sack on any way. WR screens, slants, 3 step drops, etc. are half the pass plays and unless an inside guy just doesnt get blocked there is no way to stop that play with a sack.
On the other half, QB are trained to chuck it into the stands if the rush gets near them. Disrtupting and rushing the decision making of the QB results in incomplete passes, 3rd down stops, and Ints. I'll take the most disruptions regardless of where I rank in sacks, every day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
Back