PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which WR will be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not trade any of the top six until after the final preseason game. Presuming that the last two games won't influence the decision, the #6 as of now is insurance.

TO be clear, I wouldn't trade any of them for a conditional 5th now

I understand the distinction you are making... not that they have no trade value... but simply that you do not advocate trading any of them...

While I think we could very well get some decent value from an interested team, one needs to weigh the benefit of gaining a draft pick (say a 4th or 5th rounder) with the risk of a rash of injuries hitting towards the end of camp and being short changed.

That's something to consider... but I still don't understand why anyone would contend that very decent possession receivers have no trade value in the NFL when 3rd string CBs do.

The thing going against us in trading any of our WRs is that teams know it is likely we will cut one of them. That means they will be less likely to trade. Besides, there is no one in the WR situation we were in at this point last year.

It certainly could play out that way, but a 5th or a 6th is not much to give up either. If there is a team with an injury, a trade gives them certain access to the player, whereas a cut means they have to outbid any other team also short in that spot. Also, a trade could mean getting a guy into your camp a few weeks sooner than waiting for the rather late cut down date.

We traded a 5th last year for Doug Gabriel under similar (reverse) circumstances where we could have just waited a bit longer for cuts.

The only value you might get for any of these guys is if you can swing a conditional pick and then the WR does a lot.

IMHO, our receivers have trade value. They will be less after the last pre-season game. We are not talking about a rash of injuries. We are talking about one. For example, if Caldwell and Washington are competing for the #5 spot, either could be injuried in the week ending with last preseason game. I see no reason to take that risk.

I understand the distinction you are making... not that they have no trade value... but simply that you do not advocate trading any of them...

While I think we could very well get some decent value from an interested team, one needs to weigh the benefit of gaining a draft pick (say a 4th or 5th rounder) with the risk of a rash of injuries hitting towards the end of camp and being short changed.

That's something to consider... but I still don't understand why anyone would contend that very decent possession receivers have no trade value in the NFL when 3rd string CBs do.

Im in the group, that hopes Kelly Washington makes it along with Gaffney... Im in the camp that the team can give up on Reche... Also Donte Stallworth will be our number 1 reciever before the end of the yr..

Im in the group, that hopes Kelly Washington makes it along with Gaffney... Im in the camp that the team can give up on Reche... Also Donte Stallworth will be our number 1 reciever before the end of the yr..

I agree with you on Stallworth. I disagree with Caldwell over Washington. I think Stallworth may be our most talented WR at this point in their careers.

Caldwell is a hardworking overachiever and Washington is the classic underachiever. Washington has more pure physical talent, but his technique is bad and he is the slowest to pick up the offense of all the new guys. For a fifth WR give me a guy who is going to work his arse off and do the things that won't get you anything in the stats column like blocking on running plays.

Washington said that the hit he took in the preseason game was a wake up call to him. If that is true, then maybe my opinion will change. But I don't think the guy has the stones that I look for in a Patriots player. Caldwell, on the other hand, will go all out for this team. I think in the long run he will do more for this team than Washington could.

What about that don't you understand?

I don't understand why you think your opinion on this issues has been proven correct and the opposing view wrong based on an unrelated move.

Does that move suddenly make Kelly Washington have trade value? The trade value the Bengals tried desparately to get for him all offseason right up through the end of camp a year ago?

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5572

Does it suddenly mean Gaffney (who is going to make the team anyways) who had no value a year ago now has it? Let's not forget, not only was he cut by Philly without being traded but as an UFA he had only gotten a 1 year deal - not the kind of guy usually traded for a draft pick.

Does it make Caldwell suddenly a hot commodity after he wasn't one as a free agent a year ago and then the Pats did everything possible to make sure they wouldn't be counting on him this year?

Hopefully the Pats can trade one of these guys for a pick before they have to cut them. I'm not convinced it will happen. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Quote me on this: Gaffney will be our #2 receiver for the next 3 years

Totally co-signed. But, in receptions, not as the #2 reciever position-wise. He's not fast or big enough. I think he and Welker are going to make the most solid 3/4 WR corps in the league. If Moss sticks around we've got a #1, so it's just a matter of filling the #2 spot. It's not going to be Stallworth. Reche's got a chance, but maybe that's where Jackson comes in, depending on his progress next year.

I don't understand why you think your opinion on this issues has been proven correct and the opposing view wrong based on an unrelated move.

Does that move suddenly make Kelly Washington have trade value? The trade value the Bengals tried desparately to get for him all offseason right up through the end of camp a year ago?

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5572

Does it suddenly mean Gaffney (who is going to make the team anyways) who had no value a year ago now has it? Let's not forget, not only was he cut by Philly without being traded but as an UFA he had only gotten a 1 year deal - not the kind of guy usually traded for a draft pick.

Does it make Caldwell suddenly a hot commodity after he wasn't one as a free agent a year ago and then the Pats did everything possible to make sure they wouldn't be counting on him this year?

Hopefully the Pats can trade one of these guys for a pick before they have to cut them. I'm not convinced it will happen. Time will tell.

You're point about Gaffney not being traded last year has been thoroughly undermined, so I see you've moved on... and now you say Gaffney's going to make our team...

But apparently even though you think he'll make the team he's so bad he would have no trade value????? What's wrong with Bill Belichick that he's keeping guys that no other team would want?

And I'm not sure who is suggesting that Caldwell is a "hot commodity" - I've only said that he has trade value. Last time I checked a guy who's making pretty low NFL money who can catch 60 passess or more does have trade value - not to mention a few other of our WRs who are showing they can contribute in big ways in the NFL.

Apparently no one is going to convince you that any team would have any interest in trading for decent WRs - and yes, the guys competing for spots 4, 5 & 6 on our roster are decent - probably good enough to be a #2 or #3 WR on another team.

More and more I tend to agree with mgteich that BB will forgoe getting something in trade for the assurance that he will have significantly more depth than he had at WR last year... he'd rather have depth than a draft pick, and I can understand that.

But that's a lot different from suggesting that our WRs have no trade value.

I think we've got one of the deepest WR corps in the NFL right now, and I don't think I'm alone. You clearly do not agree, clearly stating that no team would have any interest in trading for our 4, 5 or 6 WRs. You're entitled to your opinion, but I think you'd be in the minority on this one.

You're point about Gaffney not being traded last year has been thoroughly undermined, so I see you've moved on... and now you say Gaffney's going to make our team...

But apparently even though you think he'll make the team he's so bad he would have no trade value????? What's wrong with Bill Belichick that he's keeping guys that no other team would want?

Kelly Washington made Cincy last year and had no trade value. By his own admission the Bengals tried to trade him and couldn't. There is a big difference between having a guy who other teams would want and having a player other teams would trade draft picks for.

There will be hundreds of guys who make teams in the NFL that would not bring a pick back in a trade - and more than handful of them are going to be right here in New England.

More and more I tend to agree with mgteich that BB will forgoe getting something in trade for the assurance that he will have significantly more depth than he had at WR last year... he'd rather have depth than a draft pick, and I can understand that.

That sure sounds like a hedge. Now you think the Pats are going to just cut at least 1 guy that is "probably good enough to be a #2 or #3 WR on another team?" Why would they do that?

If in fact as you say, the Pats have a #2 or #3 WR sitting there going to be cut they will certainly attempt to trade him before cutting him. They would be stupid not to and the Pats are not stupid. Assuming he has this value you keep talking about, I can't figure out why they couldn't get a conditional pick for him even at that late stage. Just last year Oakland got one for Doug Gabriel, Lelie was dealt in a 3 team deal, the Pats got a #1 for Branch, and the Saints got a player and a pick for Stallworth. All of this took place at the end of August/first week of September timeframe. It seems the "too late to trade" argument only impacts certain guys but not others. Why would it impact a #2 or #3 WR?

Last edited:
I am a Reche Caldwell fan yet I thought he looked very average in the preseason opener. He probably is in danger of being traded.

Kelly Washington made Cincy last year and had no trade value. By his own admission the Bengals tried to trade him and couldn't.

Are you talking about the same Kelly Washington who was coming off a 2005 season in which he only played in 7 games and had 10 catches all season? :rofl:

Yeah, I think I might have a theory as to why no GM was willing to give up a draft pick for him!

And THAT'S your comparison as to why Caldwell with 61 regular season catches and Gaffney who averaged 7 catches a game in the playoffs have no trade value? :rofl:

Thanks for clearing that up!

That sure sounds like a hedge. Now you think the Pats are going to just cut at least 1 guy that is "probably good enough to be a #2 or #3 WR on another team?" Why would they do that?

I'm not sure who you think suggested cutting Gaffney, Washington or Caldwell, but it wasn't me.

As mgteich suggests, if we carry 6 WRs as I think we might, I can see Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Caldwell, Gaffney and Washington all making the team - with Brown and Jackson on the PUP.

That leaves Bam and a few other training camp WRs out in the cold but I don't think anyone was suggesting that Kight has any trade value - we're talking about Caldwell, Gaffney and Washington here.

And as has been pointed out to you on numerous occasions, waiting to forge a trade once training camp is over and the regular season is starting does make it tougher to find a partner, as with Gaffney.

Does that clear things up?

When I think of the receivers that I want on the field in a 5-wide, it's Moss, Welker, Stallworth, Gaffney and Brown. If we carry six, it's got to be Caldwell.

However I slice it, Washington and Childress are SOL. Childress will find a home on our shadow roster, but I think Washington will be looking for a team to latch on with (a la Gaffney, last year).

I can't wait to drag up this thread in four months and laugh my ass off at all the erroneous predictions. :D

Is there an animated icon for two guys pissing in a field? :rolleyes:

I can't wait to drag up this thread in four months and laugh my ass off at all the erroneous predictions. :D

Yep, I'm only sorry that I make my erroneous predictions in pixels rather than print. Otherwise they'd make a nice bonfire!
Burning.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes