PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which WR will be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't you read other threads? It's been stated pretty clearly that there IS NO trade value for our WRs. ;)

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=57616&highlight=trade

I argued pretty hard that SOME team might be interested in the depth we have at this position, but I was pretty much over-ruled that it would be stupid to trade for a player - and that other teams would just wait for us to cut our WRs.

Apparently Belichick is the only GM who trades for players during camp, giving up what is reportedly a conditional pick for a backup CB - unfortunately starting caliber WRs like Gaffney and Caldwell have no trade value whatsoever, which is unfortunate for us. ;)

Last edited:
The thing that could possibly work in our favor is if a injury would occur to a team not that deep at receiver then maybe we could pull a 4th round pick or defensive back for that said reciever.

All that being said I think Washington makes it, he's struggled in practice but shown good hands and elusiveness in the first true practice of the season all being it was buchanon on the coverage.

You have to remember a few things he was arguably the best ST player in Cincy
he has been saying all the right things so far sounding like a patriot.

I'd rather see him double up at reciever and special teams instead of seeing a scrub out there on st duty.

I realize the love for Izzo but i'd like to see a young player beat him out for his spot.

He can't play linebacker to effectively his value on special team has kept him on.

I can't see how a Mel Mitchel who has value on defense on a dante wesley can not fill his gap.

Don't you read other threads? It's been stated pretty clearly that there IS NO trade value for our WRs. ;)

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=57616&highlight=trade

I argued pretty hard that SOME team might be interested in the depth we have at this position, but I was pretty much over-ruled that it would be stupid to trade for a player - and that other teams would just wait for us to cut our WRs.

Apparently Belichick is the only GM who trades for players during camp, giving up what is reportedly a conditional pick for a backup CB - unfortunately starting caliber WRs like Gaffney and Caldwell have no trade value whatsoever, which is unfortunate for us. ;)

So all it takes is another thread about the same thing to validate your opinion and discount the opposing view? Shouldn't you maybe wait until there is an actual trade to post an I told you so?

As long as Gaffney makes it I don't care.

But what could we even get for Reche Caldwell?
a 4th rounder at most?

As long as Gaffney makes it I don't care.

But what could we even get for Reche Caldwell?
a 4th rounder at most?

at most a sixth or seventh rounder. the later in the preseason it gets, the less valuable a wr is going to be. If we got a 4th round pick, as Tom Casale would say, where do I sign?

at most a sixth or seventh rounder. the later in the preseason it gets, the less valuable a wr is going to be. If we got a 4th round pick, as Tom Casale would say, where do I sign?

yeah i know 4th seems like way too much, but i was thinking the best case scenario, and if we robbed a real desperate team.

I would take anything for Caldwell.

That theory annoys me, too. All it takes is ONE team thinking there's one other team that wants a guy that they believe can help them. I'm not guaranteeing a trade will occur, but the "why would they trade him instead of waiting for him to be cut?" line always and forever reeks of shortsighted cluelessness.

Last edited:
The next preseason game is against the Tennessee Titans. That would be the receiver-needy Tennessee Titans. This game seems like a good chance for the Pats to showcase their reserve wideouts for a possible trade for a conditional late-round draft pick, instead of the inevitable release of a guy who might help another team. Considering Chad Jackson may be available to come off PUP after week 6, the team isn't worried about depth at WR even if an injury occurs. Which guy do you think the Pats would deal?

I figure Moss, Stallworth and Welker are locks to make the team. Considering Belichick has said it on multiple occasions, I figure Troy Brown is in the mix somewhere as well.

That leaves Caldwell, Gaffney and Washington as the top contenders for remaining 2 possible slots. On the surface, Washington would seem the most likely to go, since the other two are more proven as receivers and know the offense better. However, I am going to have the Pats keeping Washington, since his contribution as a ST-er gives him an edge over the other two as a reserve. I realize many will not agree with this, but I think ST is an important factor for these players.

That leaves Caldwell and Gaffney. Caldwell did play some ST last year, while Gaffney is not a ST-er at all. Gaffney is having a great camp, and really seems like he can contribute to the offense after a strong playoff performance last year. He really seems to fit the offense. Caldwell had a good year for the Pats last season, but Gaffney just seems like a better fit on the team, especially since Moss and Stallworth play a deep threat role that he seems to complement well.

So, I pick Caldwell as the guy who gets traded. Based on his performance last year, he would be able to help a team like the Titans, but on the Pats he is a bit of a luxury.

Gee when I started reading I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED the outcome [sarcasm off].

Baloney. If the Pats trade a receiver, it wil be who the new team wants. If given a a choice I would give up on Donte Stallworth. Not performing, expensive, and the most logical guy from a talent similarity viewpoint for Chad Jackson to replace when /if he comes off PUP.

Nice try, though.

Gee when I started reading I NEVER WOULD HAVE GUESSED the outcome [sarcasm off].

Baloney. If the Pats trade a receiver, it wil be who the new team wants. If given a a choice I would give up on Donte Stallworth. Not performing, expensive, and the most logical guy from a talent similarity viewpoint for Chad Jackson to replace when /if he comes off PUP.

Nice try, though.

his opinion must be wrong and yours must be right (because you said so)

Thanks for clarifying that.

Last edited:
If given a a choice I would give up on Donte Stallworth. Not performing, expensive, and the most logical guy from a talent similarity viewpoint for Chad Jackson to replace when /if he comes off PUP.

Kneejerk says hi. Goodness. Donte Stallworth "not performing?" "Expensive?" I suppose his having been on PUP makes the first one literally true - while being a WILD stretch. As for the second point, he is NOT expensive. At all. He may earn his way to becoming expensive next year, but if he's so good that he warrants the Pats picking up the option, I'll TAKE expensive.

I think those 21 playoff receptions by Gaffney count for something.
10 came in one game

Bam Childress led the Patriots in receptions one game two years ago

Having one good game in a year does not help, even if the game was a playoff game.

In another thread there was talk about getting a second round pick for Gaffney. Silly talk.

The guy was a street FA before he came here and he'll likely leave the same way. Ditto for Washington IMO.

Unless there is a team as desperate for a WR as we were for a CB, there is little chance at getting a decent pick for Gaffney or Washington, and a first day pick is laughable.

My opinion only, but just because it is only my opinion doesn't mean it's wrong :D

We all seem to accept three locks...
Moss, Stallworth, Welker

Hm. I dont consider Stallworth a lock. I'm not saying that he's gonna get cut, just that I dont think it's decided. How surprising would it be, really, if BB decides DS is not picking up the O. Stallworth only has a 1 year deal in any case. I think it's his to lose, but if Gaffney and Caldwell continue at their current level, he still has to prove something.

Hm. I dont consider Stallworth a lock. I'm not saying that he's gonna get cut, just that I dont think it's decided. How surprising would it be, really, if BB decides DS is not picking up the O.

Super-duper surprising, IMO. Impossible? Of course not. But I think it would take a mammoth failure on the part of Stallworth -- who managed to integrate himself into Philly's offense quickly and successfully -- for the Patriots to decide he holds less promise than Kelley Washington.

A failure for Stallworth if he's cut? He'd still have $2.9M of bonus money and can then look elsewhere.

Super-duper surprising, IMO. Impossible? Of course not. But I think it would take a mammoth failure on the part of Stallworth -- who managed to integrate himself into Philly's offense quickly and successfully -- for the Patriots to decide he holds less promise than Kelley Washington.

10 came in one game

Bam Childress led the Patriots in receptions one game two years ago

Having one good game in a year does not help, even if the game was a playoff game.

In another thread there was talk about getting a second round pick for Gaffney. Silly talk.

The guy was a street FA before he came here and he'll likely leave the same way. Ditto for Washington IMO.

Unless there is a team as desperate for a WR as we were for a CB, there is little chance at getting a decent pick for Gaffney or Washington, and a first day pick is laughable.

My opinion only, but just because it is only my opinion doesn't mean it's wrong :D
But he had more than 1 good game last year.

Your post implies that he only had 1 good game last year.

Typical of the pro-caldwell side to leave out information.

I feel bad for Bam, I thought his chance was last year with the wr-less roster. Kelvin Kight got the start ahead of him.

Sorry for Bam but there is no way he plays more than 1 game this year, if any.

Quote me on this: Gaffney will be our #2 receiver for the next 3 years

My prediction is that Stallworth will be released.

Leaving:
Moss
Welker
Gaffney
Caldwell
Washington

With some combination of these guys rotating through the roster.

Troy Brown
C. Jackson
Childress

That's funny jimmy my prediction is that Stallworth leads all recievers on the team in yards per catch.

No offense but i hope mine is closer to reality.

Quote me on this: Gaffney will be our #2 receiver for the next 3 years

I'd agree based on his production coming in part way through the season and Stallworth and Moss will need to be renegotiated if they plan on staying and most likely won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes