PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Three Tight Ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your roster. I have two issues as I struggle with the final two "cuts".

ISSUE ONE
Alex Smith is better than a couple of players at the bottom of the roster. In any case, I expect us to trade one of our TE's for a 5th. Both Watson and Smith would be bargains since their bonuses have been paid by the patriots.

ISSUE TWO
While I also have Lenon for now, he may go if we are really going to play a lot more 4-3. 15 players for the front seven may be sufficient. Of course, it is Crable that is the question mark. He may need another year of development before contributing much. If that is the situation, I want to keep Lenon to add flexibility in our linebacking corp.

BOTTOM LINE
With no trades, Smith could easily be the best 53rd choice instead of Alex Smith. Of course, Belichick is likely to keep only 52 of what we have, with the 53rd player coming from another team's final cuts.

OK, I've learned my lesson about posting a partial roster! I'm believe I had same 53 as Reiss minus Alex Smith and BJGE, plus Paris Lenon and an OT.

So LK Smith, HD Jones, BJGE and T Williams had all been cut already.

Here's an exercise to try...to get down to 53, you have to cut 5 of the following:

Rich Ohrnberger
Ryan Wendell
Russ Hochstein
Myron Pryor
Mike Wright
Jarvis Green
Tully Banta-Cain
Shawn Crable
Paris Lenon
Brandon McGowan
Sam Aiken
Ray Ventrone
Matt Slater
4th Tight End
This is next to impossible for me to answer since I don't know who the other 48 are that already made the final cut. For example, McGowan's name is on the list but not Williams; does that mean Tank is already included on the roster - or is not up for consideration? If Williams is already on the roster then I don't keep McGowan too, but if he is not then McGowan is one of my five picks.

But even without knowing the rest of the roster, my most likely cuts would be Wendell, Pryor, Ventrone, TBC, and a TE. Most likely to stay would be Wright, Aiken, Green, Crable and Hochstein.

Sure. I could only carry 3 TEs (see "cut-down" post above). Baker is my lock; Thomas seems to be being groomed for more of a hybrid HB/FB role; that left Smith and Watson. Neither is signed past this season; neither has shined in camp; both have had similar careers to this point. But Watson has more experience in this offense and Smith yields a slightly higher cap savings, so I cut Smith.

I don't see how Thomas can be the hybrid blocker/catcher; every time I watch him I'm very unimpressed by his blocking.

Im doubtful that four tightends will make the roster. I would rather keep five rb's. we may have a commitee of runnnig backs but they are all injury prone. My prediction is that either watson or thomas will be traded. wichever one brings higher trade value.

Considering these 2 pts

1)Baker was covered by a backup LB as their starter was out

2)watson played 76% of snaps last year where he was asked to block

3) Smithwas got for a 5th ....people make it sound like we never cut a 5 rd player.
Smith gets cut

how can some say baker is better when he was again covered by eagles Backup players due to the ILB sitting out of injury?

Last edited:
Im doubtful that four tightends will make the roster. I would rather keep five rb's. we may have a commitee of runnnig backs but they are all injury prone. My prediction is that either watson or thomas will be traded. wichever one brings higher trade value.

The problem with that is, the 4th TE, whoever it is (whether Smith, or Thomas), is significantly better than the 5th RB, BJGE. Not to mention, finding RBs mid season is MUCH easier than finding TEs.

Finding a #3 TE during the season is NOT difficult at all. DeVree says hi!

However, I think that you setting up a straw man. I don't think we need a 4th TE. I also don't think we need a 5th RB.

The problem with that is, the 4th TE, whoever it is (whether Smith, or Thomas), is significantly better than the 5th RB, BJGE. Not to mention, finding RBs mid season is MUCH easier than finding TEs.

Reiss and others have said that Smith was used most at H back in pre season, and played well overall.

Clearly Baker is the #1, and Watson is the likely best back-up for him.

Thomas's big issus are: he has trouble staying healthy, and he can't block my grandmother, and she's been dead since 1946. His cap number is negligable, so if they cut to 3, he would be the one I think.

I hate Watson, but, if Baker gets hurt the depth is so bad if Watson is dealt, so I think you have to keep him.

p.s. - BJGE will be on the roster but won't dress until the one of the top 4 backs goes down - and they will.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call