PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which Pat Had the Worst Performance Against The Eagles?

Not to diss your thread but really this ought to be about expectations vs what was shown. To that end, Tebow's performance really wasn't a shocker by any means. On the other hand our kicker and backup QB blows and our secondary has fallen off from last year, if that's humanly possible.

Agreed, but I'd be happy with that. I think Mallett is suffering from an expectations gap based on pre-draft hype, rather than draft-day reality. If you just take him at face value as a mid-round pick with excellent size and arm strength who has held down the backup QB job at short money, it's hard to complain.

Pretty decent point, patchick.

I think we still need to hope that Mallett works out as that reliable backup in an actual gameday situation, but obviously none of us really want to see that happen due to the implications of what it'd mean.

One thing I do know--I have a newfound appreciation for Mallett being retained as our QB2 though.

Agreed.

If Mallett were a 5th or 6th rounder, then discussions regarding our backup quartebacks might be more reasonable.

Agreed, but I'd be happy with that. I think Mallett is suffering from an expectations gap based on pre-draft hype, rather than draft-day reality. If you just take him at face value as a mid-round pick with excellent size and arm strength who has held down the backup QB job at short money, it's hard to complain.

Not to diss your thread but really this ought to be about expectations vs what was shown. To that end, Tebow's performance really wasn't a shocker by any means. On the other hand our kicker and backup QB blows and our secondary has fallen off from last year, if that's humanly possible.

All due respect I think your points are way off for a multitude of reason.

1. Mallett is a very good backup quarterback, he is easily in the top 10 in the league; his disappointment revolves around the fact many expect him to either net us a high draft pick in a trade or clearly distinguish himself as heir apparent to Brady.

2. The secondary consisted primarily rookies and career special teams players, we were without are 2nd and 4th cornerbacks, and are top secondary player in McCourty.

3. Gostkowski did struggle; he does however have one of the best conversation percentages in NFL history, he has not kicked in a game setting in nearly 8 months and we do not know if there was something in particular he was working on from a technique perspective that caused his results to suffer.

Remember this is preseason football, things are not done in an effort to win during the preseason they're done to prepare for the regular season, sometimes initial results may suffer in an effort to critique something for long term improvements.

I gotta agree with everyone....Take a chill...Goosefraba Goosefraba

As mentioned the secondary was without two quality starters. RID is back (for how long we dont know) Talib is Talib and I think we have some good safety options. Not too shabby there particularly if RID can play.

Ghostowski does not blow. Overpaid? Sure...as mentioned he has the numbers. Most important there is nobody else who can do better regardless of cap savings.

Our bakup QB does kinda blow however....Or the problem is Brady has spoiled us for so long anyone you put in there is going to look second rate next to him.

I know that Cole is a special teamer / bubble player and all, but he didn't stand out to me as having a poor game. On the contrary, he made a few nice pass-breakups and i thought he held his ground.

I saw a couple of terrible plays, against the Eagles. Marquis is a game, fast, but too small, smurf CB, who has stayed in the league as a ST gunner. He can't cover, and was barbecued by the Ravens when he was forced to play when Talib went down.

Our bakup QB does kinda blow however....Or the problem is Brady has spoiled us for so long anyone you put in there is going to look second rate next to him.

Bingo. For perspective on backup quarterbacks, here's a question: would you trade Mallett for any of the past young QBs who have been Brady's primary backups, as they looked to us at the time?

- Mallett looks better than Cassel ever did in preseason and practice. (Remember Cassel's dreadful 2008 preseason that had fans screaming for an alternative?)

- Brian Hoyer had a steadiness about him so that you'd feel confident about him stepping in for a few series. But if you needed a QB to step in for a few games, Mallett's tools are vastly superior.

- Rohan Davey. Enough said.

Correct. And the other problem is that PS is PS. Its really not a good way to gauge anything. No game plan, no exotic schemes, not the right player combos, they are trying things out, experiments...etc

So you really need a real game to measure anything and TB never comes out of games.

I guess it would be "worst performance" vs "most disappointing performance".

Probably two different sets of answers...

yeah, i don't follow the draft very much anymore because all I end up doing is getting mad when the Patriots pass on David Terrell to pick Richard Seymour.

So I just come here and read the varied opinions and there was nary a negative word said about Ryan, I remember a number of people felt like we got back on track after the 'horrible' Harmon pick.

Now all the 20/20 hindsight types show up with their history eraser buttons and suddenly the Ryan pick was the worst thing since Chris Canty.

Ryan was picked 8 spots ahead of Harmon. FWIW, I remember plenty of negative words about Ryan. There was a lot of doubt, starting immediately after the pick was made, as to whether he can be a viable cornerback in the system that the Patriots play. He's at his best when the play is in front of him and lacks the speed to keep up with fast receivers on deep balls. When he was drafted, I assumed he was a safety conversion project, maybe with the Pats figuring that he could be 80% of the safety that McCourty is and allow the team to move McCourty back to corner. Once Harmon was picked, though, that indicated pretty strongly that they intended to keep Ryan at corner, at which point I (and some others) immediately disliked the pick. Best case scenario, I think we're looking at Arrington's backup.

I missed a chunk of the game that corresponded with most of Mallett's snaps. Based on feedback here, I expected ugliness. So I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw on rewind: a reasonable-looking NFL backup quarterback. Strong arm, decent mechanics, didn't look flustered or overwhelmed. Field vision and timing/accuracy were just so-so, but he was also under more pressure than Brady, playing mostly behind o-linemen who will be out of work in a few weeks. And count me in the camp that puts most of the blame on Boyce for the endzone miss. He looks better to me than Cassel ever did in preseason, at least.

I'll agree on the last part - Cassel always looked terrible in the preseason, which in a nutshell is why I never panic anymore about the backup QB situation based on preseason play. If someone who looked as bad as Cassel did can manage when thrown into the fire, then who's to say that anyone else can't?

That said, in my eyes Mallett had a bunch of 'as expected/competent' plays, a couple of good ones, and a couple more bad ones. Mostly adequate with more bad than good thrown into the mix. Specifically, there were a couple of plays where I really didn't like what I saw. On second down of his first drive, backed up in his own end zone, he threw the ball way behind Dobson, then on the next play he threw it well ahead of Vereen, leading directly to a three and out and great field position for the Eagles. He wasn't under a lot of pressure on the second throw, and on the first he was under a bit, but he still had a good opportunity to make that play. He was throwing to real receivers, and if he'd completed either throw, that drive gets sustained.

On the following drive, he realized that the Eagles couldn't cover Fells, and that allowed Mallet to hit him repeatedly even without being as accurate as you'd like. His second throw on that drive was really good, and I'm not against blaming Boyce for the missed deep throw. Looked to me like Mallett overthrew it, but it would still have been catchable if Boyce had done a better job adjusting to the ball. I don't blame Mallett for the subsequent plays either (ditching the ball under pressure, Edelman fumble). By the drive after that, it just looked like he was playing pitch and catch with Dobson and Sudfeld, who just couldn't be handled by the guys who were supposed to be covering them.

Basically, what I saw was a QB with a strong arm who was pretty decisive but had so-so accuracy. and was pretty average under pressure. In short, he has the same limitations that Brady has, but nowhere near the exceptional accuracy, and the jury's still out on how quickly he makes his reads and his pocket presence. By the time he came out, I found myself disappointed with the overall body of work, although even at the time I realized that it was at least in part because I was comparing him to Brady, which is just unfair for any QB. We're used to seeing our QB hit easy throws 99 times out of 100, and even fairly difficult ones 9 times out of 10.

I agree that what we saw from him is plenty acceptable as a backup QB on a rookie contract, but count me among those who were hoping that he would be more than that and, to date, have been disappointed. Perhaps this is an unreasonable expectation, which is why I acknowledged that in the same post where I said that I was disappointed. We're used to seeing A+ play at quarterback, and he's nowhere near an A+. If we'd spend the last five years watching Mark Sanchez, he'd look like a godsend, and if we'd spend the last 5 years watching Ryan Fitzpatrick, he'd look fine.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back