PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which horse do you put out to pasture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Patriots need a good young body on hand before they

cut someone.

Our offense is better than any of these other than the saints, and figures to be better than any of these in the future.

Why would I want to do anything other than bring in the usual 1-2 new running backs each year, along with the needed 2-3 receivers, and the usual one new offensive lineman.

I see no need to change the nature of the offense.

Is the "I don't want a committe, I want to see 1 feature back" a fantasy football thing? Almost no one does it that way anymore. Every down backs are pretty rare. Almost all the best running teams in the league used multiple backs.

Top 10 rushing teams:
Jets - Jones/Green/Washignton
Ten - Johnson
Car - Williams/Stewart
Mia - Brown/Williams
Balt - Rice/Mcgahee
Saints - Thomas/Bush/Bell
Dallas - Barber/Jones/Choice
Cle - Harrison/Lewis
Cincy - Benson
Jax - MJD

Certainly if you have a special player like a Chris Johnson or an Adrian Petersen you don't want to see a committee approach but there isn't one of those guys on the roster and isn't likely to be one in 2010. The committee approach itself isn't the problem. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to some upgrades of the members of the committee.

I'd also like to see some better blocking and play calling in the running game.

Last edited:
Draft a back.
1.CJ Spiller
2.Jahvid Best
3.Jonathan Dwyer
4.Toby Gerhart

Draft a back.
1.CJ Spiller
2.Jahvid Best
3.Jonathan Dwyer
4.Toby Gerhart

Why would we draft a running back? We already have 5 RB's on the roster. We do not need to add a 6th. I assume you would say we would get rid of another or multiple backs that we already have, but we already know what the RBs we have can do. Any back that we draft we do not know what they can do, for all we know they could be a bust. We have many more needs that are more important than the running back position, so why use one of our top picks on a running back?

This is what I want in the offseason (doubt it will happen).

Morris-Gone
Taylor-Gone
Maroney-Gone

Draft a power back: Toby Gerhart, Johnathan Dwyer, etc.

Depth Chart example:

1. Toby Gerhart (main back)
2. BJGE (5-8 carries, change of pace back)
3. Kevin Faulk (same role he's always had)

No more committee, I want a back I can count on to run 20 times a game.

First of all, the idea that BJGE is a change of pace from Toby Gerhart is funny. They are both North/South Power runners.

As for having a back you can count on to run 20 times a game, why? A RB running the ball 20 times a game doesn't necessarily balance this team out. You need a RB who can run and catch out of the backfield. That same RB needs to be able to pick up the blitz as well. That will help in not telegraphing the plays to the defense.

Why would we draft a running back? We already have 5 RB's on the roster. We do not need to add a 6th. I assume you would say we would get rid of another or multiple backs that we already have, but we already know what the RBs we have can do. Any back that we draft we do not know what they can do, for all we know they could be a bust. We have many more needs that are more important than the running back position, so why use one of our top picks on a running back?

Trade Maroney for a third.
Resign Faulk.
Drop Morris.
Keep Taylor.
Draft a back.

We would have a good solid three man rotation with Spiller-Taylor- Faulk.

Let them all go.

Trade Maroney for a third.
Resign Faulk.
Drop Morris.
Keep Taylor.
Draft a back.

We would have a good solid three man rotation with Spiller-Taylor- Faulk.

Spiller will be gone long before the Pats pick in the first round, so cross him off your list.

The Pats have more needs that are more important than the RB position that need to be addressed in the early rounds. Any RB that we draft in the later rounds is very unlikely to make an impact this season if at all. Not worth the pick.

Why not stay with the players that we have now and have a 3 man rotation of Maroney-Taylor-Faulk?

Toby Gerhart as a feature back in the NFL? Thanks, I needed a laugh.

Keep Maroney - relatively young, affordable, showed flashes this year, work with him on fumbles
Keep Faulk - still one of our most dynamic offensive weapons, ideal 3rd down back
Keep BJGE - young, cheap, knows system

Get rid of Morris & Taylor to make way for younger legs.

A feature back (Spiller (1st), Best(early 2nd), or Dwyer (later 2nd))
A true fullback (6th round) - 5th round if we had a pick in that round

While I agree with the idea we don't necessarily need a feature back on the team, I think more young talent is called for to hedge our bets.

Chester Taylor ran pretty well for the Ravens and then the Vikings and they still drafted Adrian Peterson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News