PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Which current playoff bound teams we can beat ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Just wanted to get thoughts on these...there are about 8-10 good playoff teams , which ones do you think we can beat? ..surely we "can" beat all of them but realistically which games do you think objectively that we can win for sure or its a 50-50 thing or it would be a difficult chance...here go my thoughts

1.Colts -Tough game to win-Regardless of what someone may say, playing indy in indy without mcginiest ,harrison(possibly), deion etc considering stokley etc will be back will be a very difficult challenge. Our defense put a lot of pressure on manning but lacks speed at the front seven.If we had the chargers LB on sunday night executing the same plays, manning wouldve been sacked more IMO.
2.Chargers -This team scares me the most .Brady has beaten them only once in the past when it was his first season and they are the worst matchup for us .The defense is very fast and very good. Rivers maybe a rookie but he is playing quite well.
3.Denver -Honestly, i think denver is beatable - very difficult but beatable, i dont buy "they are in our head theory" , just like we are in the colts head theory.In other words, i would rather face denver than san diego.
4.Baltimore- I like our chances with baltimore, their defense is very good but a little overhyped too plus a slow offense negates it quite a bit.
5.Chicago - Should beat them.Defense is good but can be exposed ,if spread out..similar to minn plus ronnie brown run on them for 150 yards !
6.Giants-Tough offensive matchup with all the receivers and our secondary ,i guess its a toss up.
7.Jaguars- We should be able to beat them i think, their defense is hurting a bit plus QB conterversy is on
8.Saints-Probably most diff match IMO in the NFC.Brees always has great games against us.

thoughts ?

There are no playoff bound teams that the Patriots can't beat. And yet few that can't beat them either.

Denver's great record against the Patriots is a combination of lots of games played in Denver; better Denver clubs in the Elway years; and Shanahan's coaching.

The Colts are the worst undefeated club I have ever seen!

Just how many times will the Patriots give up five turnovers? Just twice that I can think of ... Denver in the playoffs and the Colts this past week. Denver played a wounded club that couldn't run then; and the Colts caught the Patriots on a short travel week and an immature receiving club.

I like their prospects against either in a rematch.

The only true tough club is San Diego, IMHO. They might get beat up in the AFCW though. :cool:

I don't think Baltimore or Jacksonville could beat us in the playoffs, and I think we could handle Chicago. All the others would be a toss-up, with nods going to Denver and Indy.

San Diego is the most inconsistant team. Who knows who will show.

No I was wrong Chicago is the most inconsistant team. come on - Phins and Cards made them look bad

Denver has no offense should be beatable

Indy is tough as long as Payton is there.

No one else scares me.

Tunescribe said:
I don't think Baltimore or Jacksonville could beat us in the playoffs, and I think we could handle Chicago. All the others would be a toss-up, with nods going to Denver and Indy.

I'd say more Denver than Indy but i agree with you. I don't think we need to fear any NFC team. In fact i find it ironic that a team that would give us the absolute most problems would be Atlanta...scrambling QB's tend to give us trouble, like Carolina did in he SB. But they are not strong enough so who cares.

Quick answer: All of them!

I have not seen any team that I think is just an automatic loss for us. WE can beat any of them.

On the other hand, I have not see an current contending team who can beat us if we don't paly well and turn the ball over.

I think the past tells us that and also Never count out the Pats
We can beat all of them! The NFC is no match imo to the AFC

However; unless we improve anybody except the Colts/Denver

SVN said:
Just wanted to get thoughts on these...there are about 8-10 good playoff teams , which ones do you think we can beat? ..surely we "can" beat all of them but realistically which games do you think objectively that we can win for sure or its a 50-50 thing or it would be a difficult chance...
I think we can beat all of them if we're on our A-game.

Perhaps the question might be... which of those teams can beat us?

Any of the playoff teams can be beaten if we play our game as we played against the Vikings. If we play like Bills 1, any team can beat us.

From USA todays Inside Slant:

New England is now 4-9 against teams with winning records over the
past two years and 12-0 against teams below .500.

5 turnovers, the Patriots couldn't beat Temple Owls with 5 turnovers.

3 turnovers and the Pats would have beaten the Colts.

0 turn overs and the Pats can beat anyone on this list.

By the way, does anyone know why Belichick wanted to shoot it out with the Colts? Why was the running game an after thought? The could have ground them down if the stuck with the run earlier.

Last edited:
2006 Pats are able to beat all of them - i have no doubt

but we have to play really much more better then the way we playied against Den and Ind

if we are able to play a 'disciplined' game the Pats are very dangerous and i am sure the other teams knows it very very well

but now...Jets...a W is very important on sunday imho

I look down that list and I think one of the better match ups would be San Diego - they have a great RB, but the Patriots have athe 3rd best run D in the league and just dont look like giving up a big day against anyone on the ground.

The Chargers look solid against the pass, but I would back Brady et al against pretty much anyone in the post season to make the throws when required.

The Colts will indeed be tough, and only get tougher if we let them score first and stay ahead - ball control with a lead or tie-game will wear that team down - Peyton makes his mistakes when he is forcing the issue from behind.

Again Addai will do nothing against this run D.

I dont believe in 'curses' - so I think Denver represent a good match up for us in terms of our D vs their O - surely Plummer has to revert to type against us sooner or later?

We moved the ball with relative ease against their 'suffocating' D last year only to fumble/pass the ball away at crucial moments.

Again the Ravens have a very good D, and we would probably struggle to put points on them, but what can the Ravens really expect to achieve against our D realistically? I would back Brady to make the game breaking play over an ageing McNair (if he is even fit at that stage)

NM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference