PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where the Houston game will be Won/Lost IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be won in Gillette Stadium.

I am so confident we will win that I am willing to put my posting career on Patsfans on the line. If we lose, I will openly quit Patsfans.

I guess houston will attack van noy and Mcellin. Thats probably the only place we might have regressed from week 3 when collins was unreal. According to volin, van noy has regressed and lost playing time to roberts but its volin so who knows...

van noy has regressed

Depends on the definition of regressed. Like a lot of guys (Hey Mingo!) he came in looking to "make his mark" and had one of those "wow" games. Adrenaline, confidence, and wanting to make a good impression making him both emotionally sky high and mentally hyper focused.

Then life takes over. For all but the GOAT type players, the above is the peak, not the wide plateau of an entire career. Almost all come back to their mean type play, but that's where this is an unknown. Is this the mean, or just as much of the high of the "wow" game is a valley game that can follow? Tough week at home (kid got suspended at school...car accident...cleaning the gutters...whatever), rough practice, didn't sleep or a myriad of other things (not to mention just playing to regular talent level) can impact a player.

Here's the good thing - BB plays the guys who practiced the best the week before. This is likely the first playoff action for him - which hopefully triggers another "wow" game to again try and make an impression of being worthy of participation. Maybe not, maybe he had his one and the rest is just his standard level of play from now on. We need a much bigger sample size to be sure.

I don't like this one-sided thinking one bit. The opponents' coaching staff knows Belichick and Brady better than any in the NFL. These guys will be prepared and pissed at how they are being described in the media.

Bill O'Brien, Romeo. and Vrabel will put in a Seattle game plan that frustrated the Patriots, and kept up with them score for score. It's not arguable that the Texans front seven is better than the Seahawks, and their offense has weapons that can be effective if Osweiler plays at the top of his game.

Wilfork, McKinney, Mercilus and Clowney is a terrific front four that can stop the run and collapse the pocket. The OP is right about the Pats OL needing to play well.

Hit the brakes on this blowout, people.

Belichick 9/29: "We need to do everything better"

Raiders looked their best running hurry-up offense against that D. And this was without Penn at LT.

I'm guessing Del Rio didn't feel confident running the offense more that way with Connor Cook at the helm. Stupid decision, but not surprising after watching how unprepared they played in Denver in week 17. Carr makes Del Rio look much better than he is.

Pats don't have a backup LT going against Clowney. Pats don't have a QB they're afraid of taking off the leash. Pats don't have Del Rio.

Regards,
Chris

The real debate should be will JJ Watt have his very own booth, camera and microphone for this game? Will he go for nachos or an Italian sausage with peppers and onions at halftime? Mr Pibb or Mountain Dew?

Just think of the ratings.

I think most of us on this board have seen enough games through the years to know that you have to execute well on Game Day to beat any NFL team. The Pats are in a great position to do that but Houston is going to give it everything they've got if BOB has done his job this week.

I don't know the football aptitude of the the Texans, but perhaps BOB will install TWO game plans, one for each half, similar to what Mangini did when he was coaching the Jets. IIRC, it surprised the Pats and won the day for NY.

That said, I think this Pats team is on a mission. Can't wait for Saturday night!

Go Pats!

He took down the Pats in that game by having the team decimated by injuries before the game. They were not healthy anywhere and they barely beat them.
This team is head and shoulders above last year team. They went out and got a good TE in case Gronk was hurt. They got Hogan, they strengthen the OL thru the draft as well as picking up a quality rookie WR. The DB's are deeper and better, the only thing the same as last year is the goat!

it's the big runs that killed the pats....not osweiler

It must be very difficult for people to pretend to be worried about such an awful team coming in and winning tomorrow night. Arguably the most annoying lead-up to a playoff game in a long time

The difference between the Patriot staff who will be taking the game seriously, and those fans who think we just need to turn up, is that the staff are relevant.

The game was won exactly where I said it would be. The Pats O-line versus the Houston D-line/Front Seven. And it wasn't until the Pats forced Houston to stop using twists and stunts that they pulled away from Houston.. Anyone who can sit there and claim this wasn't a tough game for the Pats didn't watch the game..

The game was won exactly where I said it would be. The Pats O-line versus the Houston D-line/Front Seven. And it wasn't until the Pats forced Houston to stop using twists and stunts that they pulled away from Houston.. Anyone who can sit there and claim this wasn't a tough game for the Pats didn't watch the game..

Agreed...we had self inflicted wounds, but if Griffin makes the catch, it is game on.

Agreed...we had self inflicted wounds, but if Griffin makes the catch, it is game on.

If Griffin makes the catch.. If Fuller makes the catch..

If I'm Bill O'Brien, I don't want Clowney up against Cannon. I line him up against Solder and Thuney. I probably also like Wilfork up shaded to Andrews left, again putting pressure on Thuney.. Then I have McKinney come in late through the Right side A-gap.. Mercilus will be the Wild Card.. If you have him lined up next to Clowney, you're over-loading that side.. If you put Mercilus on the to Brady's right, he'll typically line up against a TE and may have the advantage over the likes of Bennett or Lengle.

Whatever happens, it's going to be a tough game..
Romeo Crennel is that you? Nice plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference