PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where is Cassel's most likely landing spot in 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.
If McDaniels becomes a head coach of a team, Cassel goes with him. If not, I see Cassel going to the 49ers for their first round pick or the Lions for a second round pick.

Miami after Chad Pennington's year is not looking for a QB at the moment. Chad Pennington could be their band-aid for atleast three years in the mean time they can groom a couple of young kid's for the future.

If McDaniels becomes a head coach of a team, Cassel goes with him. If not, I see Cassel going to the 49ers for their first round pick or the Lions for a second round pick.

The Lions Second Round pick? why...i say how about the Lions First Rounder in 2010...they are still going to suck!:cool:

Comments on Box O Rock's analysis

San Francisco - Shaun King has been playing well for Singletary, but they may want something more.

Agree. I think this is Cassel's likely landing spot since they can offer a decent first round pick.

Minnesota - They've been trying to get by on the cheap.
Would be another good fit. I am unsure if their draft pick will be rich enough.

Detroit - Complete chaos.
I see them going with a college QB like Bradford or Stafford.

Teams with a question at QB, HC, or GM:

Kansas City - A new GM, Herm may or may not be around, and Tyler Thigpen may excite Herm, but he's a big question mark.
See Detroit. They will have a top pick.

St. Louis - A new GM, a new HC, and Bulger didn't set the world on fire.
Could go the college route if McCoy comes out or Graham Harrell moves up the board

Tampa Bay - Garcia is most likely gone.
Does Cassel want to audition with six other QB's like Gruden likes to do.

Philadelphia - McNabb is gunning for a new contract and who knows if Kolb is any good?
They are going to keep McNabb or go with Kolb unless Andy Reid is fired.

New York (J) - :rofl:
Not a chance if Cassel is franchised

Carolina - Delhomme stayed healthy this year, but he's been a concern.
Carolina is the dark horse in the Cassel race. They will have a high 1st round pick so they might lack the compensation

Tennessee - Collins is UFA, Vince Young is MIA.
Vince Young will be given every opportunity to win the job. However, they will likely bring in a veteran back up like a Delhomme if available.

Washington - Does anyone know what is happening in Washington?
Too much invested in Jason Campbell.

Dallas - Chaos central.
Romo may be awful in December but the contract is prohibitive.
[/QUOTE]

An omission: Chicago. They need a QB and they will be a playoff team. However, they break QB's.

Minnesota was willing to pay the price for favre, but Green Bay was unwilling to deal within the division. I think the Vikings are the most likely landing spot.

Number two would be Tampa Bay. Garcia's getting old and can't throw long at all. Gruden would love to have a QB like Cassel.

The other teams all seem to be in a position to keep the QB they have and improve elsewhere, or are teams so bad off that (a) it doesn't make sense for Cassel to want to go there, and (b) th team needs to spend their money on other areas first, like the OL, DL, and LB positions.

Would someone mind telling me what the hell this even means?
It relates to Mexican prison gangs. Either that or spitting milkshakes at each other.

Would someone mind telling me what the hell this even means?
He's trying to say NoCal = Northern California (SF) and SoCal= Southern California (LA). While we sometimes have a tendency to lump California all together as one area, LA to SF is about the same distance as Boston to Washington DC. The two areas don't consider themselves the same at all.

Last edited:
Either that or spitting milkshakes at each other.

:rofl::rofl:

umm, ok, on a serious note.

I think the Vikes are still seeing potential in Jackson....I know, I know, that would be stupid, but we've seen this before. Chicago anyone? Some teams just don't know when to cut the cord, see Grossman.

S.F., I agree, they seem to be happy with the direction they're going with Shaun Hill/king (whatever).

Detroit............no comment. (I would feel bad for Matt if that happens)

Has anyone mentioned the Jags? They were a very good team, with a bad QB. Ive never been a fan, and I thought his performance last year was very, Anderson like.lol. I wonder what their paying him next year.

I'm gonna predict that the Bucs get him, after all the dust has cleared. Lets face it, they had 5 qb's in training camp this year, and still went with the old injury prone QB. Sounds like they're just not set at that position. It would be funny if Matt went there, being that he would be replacing the QB that many here on this board thought BB should trade for, after Brady went down. lol. How's that looking now? :D

Tampa Bay is a very possible landing spot. I think Jacksonville may be out of the picture though; as I recall the Jags just signed Garrard to a big contract last spring.

Garrard is a decent to pretty good QB, compared to Leftwich who really sucks.

Is this going to become a weekly tradition where we have to have yet ANOTHER thread rehashing the previous 20-30 threads on where Cassel might land next year??? Could we get a thread MERGE please since this isn't a new subject?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...17-cassels-stock-tag-trade-ability-level.html

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/191348-shefter-qb-market-offseason.html

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...0/190152-how-many-teams-would-bid-cassel.html

All of them are talking about where Cassel would go. The last one is probably the most appropriate one to merge this one into

Last edited:
Pats have to franchise Cassel and trade him out of the division if not the conference. This kid is very good with the potential to be a top 5 QB in the league if he isn't playing at that level already. Think of all the NFC teams that would willingly give a #1 for him. If I'm Tampa, I sign Cassel long term and go to the SB.

Teams who currently don't have a QB:

Philadelphia - McNabb is gunning for a new contract and who knows if Kolb is any good?

A sign and trade to Philly works on multiple levels.
1) It keeps him out of the conference and sends him to a playoff-ready team
2) Philly loves to trade first round picks and might be willing to throw in a discontented ( from lack of playing time) cornerback ( 27 years old) Lito Sheppard which helps the Pats out
3) McNabb's contract isn't so bad that if he's cut after this year, the cap hit is only about 1-2 million and Kolb doesn't seem to be the answer...

Is this going to become a weekly tradition where we have to have yet ANOTHER thread rehashing the previous 20-30 threads on where Cassel might land next year??? Could we get a thread MERGE please since this isn't a new subject?

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...17-cassels-stock-tag-trade-ability-level.html

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/191348-shefter-qb-market-offseason.html

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...0/190152-how-many-teams-would-bid-cassel.html

All of them are talking about where Cassel would go. The last one is probably the most appropriate one to merge this one into

I agree.

I expect that New England would use the exclusive tag if Belioli were to think that the Jets or Dolphins would sign Cassel to that sheet.

why wouldn't you want to first round picks? cassel is not peyton manning. if he traded beldsoe to buffalo i could easily see him going to miami or the jets for two first rounders.

why wouldn't you want to first round picks? cassel is not peyton manning. if he traded beldsoe to buffalo i could easily see him going to miami or the jets for two first rounders.

Except that they should know they're likely digging themselves into a hole by doing so--look at the Welker trade. Even if the LOLphins improved as a result, the Patriots improved even more. So one of those two teams gets Cassel--while the Pats turn to their "fallback" option (Brady) and get an extra first-rounder?

Except that they should know they're likely digging themselves into a hole by doing so--look at the Welker trade. Even if the LOLphins improved as a result, the Patriots improved even more. So one of those two teams gets Cassel--while the Pats turn to their "fallback" option (Brady) and get an extra first-rounder?

who is digging themselves a hole? the pats, fins, or jets?

I would absolutely take two first rounders.

the way the Pats get first rounders right goes in their favor. who have been their not so stellar picks? watson and maroney?

we could easily upgrade our defense and o-line in two seasons.

plus you get these first rounders for relatively cheap contracts versus trying to trade for a suggs and giving him a huge contract.

besides i think the pats believe they could groom oconnell the way they groomed cassel, granted the learning curve needs to sped up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes