PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where is Brandon Merriweather?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you talking about? Last time I checked, 1st rd picks are suppossed to be more talented than the Eddie "I can't cover a grill" Jackson's of the world. Your point was that 1st rd picks don't play in New England, while you conveniently ignored the FACT that 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and UFA ROOKIES have played signficant time in their rookie season. That, my friend, was MY POINT about the fact that BB does play ROOKIES and doesn't sit 1st Rd picks just because they are ROOKIES. Case closed.

Your "point" is nothing but misdirection, as usual, since Meriweather, in fact, HAS played this season. You've now fallen to arguing "significant" which will, of course, allow you to define "significant" in any manner you choose. I guess when the facts are against you, you just keep moving the goalposts, right? You also seem to be ignoring the fact that he's a rookie trying to learn the Patriots system, and acting as if having initially been worked as a corner before being moved to safety shouldn't make any difference in his learning curve at safety.

By the way, in the Miami game, Meriweather played 27 out of 70 snaps, according to Reiss.

And, as Dean Pees noted in his press conference:

Q: What is your assessment of Brandon Meriweather up to this point, defensively?

DP: Brandon is still learning. I think the thing about Brandon is, any time you get a rookie, I don't know a lot about the University of Miami's scheme, I just know our scheme, and I know that it's not easy sometimes even for a veteran defensive back coming from another professional team to our team to always just grasp everything that we do on defense, so I think it's even harder sometimes for a college guy to do that. I think he's progressing, he's working hard - that's all we can ask of him - and he's working hard every day and trying to get better every day. So, at this point in time, I'd say he's getting better all the time and we'll keep playing him more as we see fit to do that.

Q: Has it been a luxury of sorts that you've been able to go gradually with him because you have some depth there and some more experienced players?

DP: I think that's always the case. Again, whether it's a veteran player or whether it's a rookie, any time that you can kind of wean them into a position and let them learn a little bit really by watching a lot and then getting a little bit each day, kind of piecemeal, I think that's always going to be better for any player. I think always when you throw somebody into a situation - and we've had a couple of those in the past, where even if they were veterans and it's all new, it's tough. So, yeah, it's been nice. I think for Brandon it's been good for us and, like I said, he's been working hard.

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=29094&pcid=82&rss=1

I know, I know, more of those pesky facts getting in the way of your ravings.

Your "point" is nothing but misdirection, as usual, since Meriweather, in fact, HAS played this season. You've now fallen to arguing "significant" which will, of course, allow you to define "significant" in any manner you choose. I guess when the facts are against you, you just keep moving the goalposts, right? You also seem to be ignoring the fact that he's a rookie trying to learn the Patriots system, and acting as if having initially been worked as a corner before being moved to safety shouldn't make any difference in his learning curve at safety.

By the way, in the Miami game, Meriweather played 27 out of 70 snaps, according to Reiss.

And, as Dean Pees noted in his press conference:

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=videonewsdetail&pid=29094&pcid=82&rss=1

I know, I know, more of those pesky facts getting in the way of your ravings.

Again, when has a coach on this team EVER badmouthed a player in public? It has never happened and never will. Therefore, their comments on players are useless. They reveal no information. Meriweather played in the Miami game? Great. So he plays when games are out of hand and is nowhere to be seen when we really need him in games like Indy and Philly. Woohoo, that gets me excited!:rolleyes:

Again, when has a coach on this team EVER badmouthed a player in public? It has never happened and never will. Therefore, their comments on players are useless. They reveal no information. Meriweather played in the Miami game? Great. So he plays when games are out of hand and is nowhere to be seen when we really need him in games like Indy and Philly. Woohoo, that gets me excited!:rolleyes:

Who cares whether or not you're excited? All that matters is whether or not the team is winning while doing things in the manner they are. That's what you don't seem to grasp when you piss and moan about everything. The team is 11-0 utilizing the running and passing game as it has, and playing games with the personnel choices that have been made. Jarvis Green doesn't play on every down, but that doesn't make him a stiff. You are not privy to the discussions and dealings going on in Patriots land, yet you spout off as if you're Belichick's best buddy and know all the inside stories. I don't know if Meriweather will pan out, and neither do you. However, your making asinine comments about him because of his amount of play as a rookie on what may turn out to be the greatest team of all time says a lot more about you than it does about him.

Who cares whether or not you're excited? All that matters is whether or not the team is winning while doing things in the manner they are. That's what you don't seem to grasp when you piss and moan about everything. The team is 11-0 utilizing the running and passing game as it has, and playing games with the personnel choices that have been made. Jarvis Green doesn't play on every down, but that doesn't make him a stiff. You are not privy to the discussions and dealings going on in Patriots land, yet you spout off as if you're Belichick's best buddy and know all the inside stories. I don't know if Meriweather will pan out, and neither do you. However, your making asinine comments about him because of his amount of play as a rookie on what may turn out to be the greatest team of all time says a lot more about you than it does about him.

So, because we are 11-0, no player can be questioned? Absurd. Guess what? Whether you like it or not, this team is NOT perfect. We have issues. Unlike you, I don't just take a short term view of things. I look at the short term and long term. We are in great shape this season.. However, if we keep drafting players that give us NOTHING in their first season(Meriweather) or first two seasons(Maroney, Jackson), than we won't be able to keep this train moving along. We better start drafting better or else this party will come to an end sooner than we expect.

Last edited:
it ends when Brady retires.

but if the sky is falling in your world, by all means...bawk it up, Chicken Little

it ends when Brady retires.

but if the sky is falling in your world, by all means...bawk it up, Chicken Little

Was Brady good enough to get the Lombardi the last 2 years? Ummm, I didn't think so. The guy needs help. He needs weapons. If we keep drafting the Maroney's, Jackson's, and Bethel Johnson's of the world with 1st and 2nd rd picks, than we are going to be mediocre with or without Brady.

So, because we are 11-0, no player can be questioned? Absurd. Guess what? Whether you like it or not, this team is NOT perfect. We have issues. Unlike you, I don't just take a short term view of things. I look at the short term and long term. We are in great shape this season.. However, if we keep drafting players that give us NOTHING in their first season(Meriweather) or first two seasons(Maroney, Jackson), than we won't be able to keep this train moving along. We better start drafting better or else this party will come to an end sooner than we expect.

You don't "question" Maroney, for example, you declare flat out that he's a bust. So let's not pretend that you have a leg to stand on with that first attempt to make me out to be the bad guy and you the sympathetic figure. As for the "short term view" argument, that is PRECISELY the type of view you take, and that's why you repeatedly come off looking like an idiot. It's not even the end of Meriweather's first season, and Jackson's been injured, yet you're already lining them up for 'bust' status, and you're claiming that I'm the one looking short term? That's rich, thanks for the giggles.

Well, no, Wilson didn't start. You seem to forget that Wilson didn't play until the 2nd game of the season. And that was only out of shear desperation since the Pats had let Milloy..

How is Meriweather behind the curve moron? Because you say so? Damn you are an imbecile. Meriweather has been getting reps throughout. To say he's behind the curve shows you haven't been following the team at all.

You really need to put a lid on the name calling.

I believe it's against forum policy.

You don't "question" Maroney, for example, you declare flat out that he's a bust. So let's not pretend that you have a leg to stand on with that first attempt to make me out to be the bad guy and you the sympathetic figure. As for the "short term view" argument, that is PRECISELY the type of view you take, and that's why you repeatedly come off looking like an idiot. It's not even the end of Meriweather's first season, and Jackson's been injured, yet you're already lining them up for 'bust' status, and you're claiming that I'm the one looking short term? That's rich, thanks for the giggles.

Jackson's been injured? No kidding, really????:rolleyes: He's been injured for 2 years now and he's not a bust? Puhleaze. I know a BUST when I see one. Bethel Johnson was a BUST and so are Jackson and Maroney. Meriweather is not yet, although it is a RED FLAG when Eddie "I can't cover a grill " Jackson is getting more reps.

you never answered my challange you claim the 3 of them are busts and yet you can't say who you would have had instead

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News