PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does Brady rank all-time now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brady is by far the smartest QB (best at reading defenses and getting safeties/etc to cheat to where he wants them) . He's the most accurate QB. He has the best pocket pressence by FAR. He has a great deep ball, he's got the arm and accuracy to throw perfect deep passes. He can scramble for a first down when necessary. He is the best QB at managing the line of scrimage and calling audibles.

So yea, that, along with 3 rings, stats, and the greatest single season ever, makes him #1.

Last edited:
Brady is by far the smartest QB (best at reading defenses and getting safeties/etc to cheat to where he wants them) . He's the most accurate QB. He has the best pocket pressence by FAR. He has a great deep ball, he's got the arm and accuracy to throw perfect deep passes. He can scramble for a first down when necessary. He is the best QB at managing the line of scrimage and calling audibles.

So yea, that, along with 3 rings, stats, and the greatest single season ever, makes him #1.

And chicks dig him in a big way. That's got to factor into any analysis.

:agree: :ditto: :yeahthat:

brady, number one...no more to say...

except that right now it can be argued...when brady retires, such arguments would be pointless...

so let me guess, you never saw montana, right? im as big a brady fan as anyone, but what you just wrote should have been about montana, except change the 3 rings to 4.

I don't understand the compulsion to rank athletes. All these QB's are great.

It's a weird fan ego thing where people live vicariously through sports heros and that in turn gives some added meaning to their mundane lives. The "my dad can beat your dad up" complex.

Brady will forever be mentioned as one of the greatest ever. But in order to reach "Jordan" territory he needs five rings. It's that simple.

so let me guess, you never saw montana, right? im as big a brady fan as anyone, but what you just wrote should have been about montana, except change the 3 rings to 4.

It can be said about Montana... back when he played. Brady is better than Montana in every category and Brady is about to get his 4th ring.

Now that is no knock to Montana, he is close behind Brady and is still one of the greatest to ever play the game, but Brady is better.

Last edited:
It can be said about Montana... back when he played. Brady is better than Montana in every category and Brady is about to get his 4th ring.

Now that is no knock to Montana, he is close behind Brady and is still one of the greatest to ever play the game, but Brady is better.

I understand that as a Pats fan that is the expected response, but for a variety of reasons it's pretty much impossible to fairly rank players across eras and say one guy who was great in his era is better than another guy who was great in their era. You simply acknowledge the greatness of each era and leave it at that. Some reasons are the game changes and evolves, statistics don't always translate across eras, the competition is different in each era, there are training and nutrition regimen advancements, etc.

Last edited:

i like brady better... but tell me why you think he is better than montana.
which categories are you talking about? i dont have time to look up stats, but id guess montana has a better passer rating (plus, for his era/rules/etc, i think montana FAR dominated brady.. id guess montana's rating is at least 10-20 points higher than his contemporaries (elway, marino, etc)... brady is even, or below manning... tom and joe are both are amazingly clutch... passing rating in playoffs/SB's? id just guess really close... joe has 4 rings, tom has 3... to me that is the difference... i rated joe as 1a, tom as 1b... i think if we win this year that switches... i think no qb in history is even close to these two... i think if tom wins 5, the discussion is over.

Brady's edge over Montana in any given year is, on average, small.

So Montana remains ahead of Brady until Brady's durability has held up for yet a few more years.

I think Brady has already passed everybody else.

Manning deserves top-five consideration too, by the way. He's close to Brady, and he has a ring now too.

I think Brady will end up as # 1 with Montana # 2, but right now it's reversed.

It's a weird fan ego thing where people live vicariously through sports heros and that in turn gives some added meaning to their mundane lives. The "my dad can beat your dad up" complex.

I think you hit the nail on the head. :)

Before this year, I would have put Brady behind Montana, but now Brady is #1. The very first year Brady got a great set of WRs (Branch was great, but not a top dog) he played the greatest single season ever by a QB. I don't think that a coincidence. Just imagine what kind of numbers he might put up if we have Moss and Welker for a bunch more years.

Montana and Brady compare well. Prior to this season, Brady hadn't thrown more than 30TDs a season and Montana only reached 30+TDs once (31 in '87). But now Brady has something no other QB has, a near perfect single season performance.

Just let this sink in. Montana had Jerry Rice to throw to throughout most of his career. Brady put up numbers similar to Montana WITHOUT a top WR (let alone aclaimed GOAT). Every single great QB has had a top WR (deep threat) EXCEPT Brady prior to this year. Do people honestly think he's gonna go back to throwing 28TD - 14INT a year with Moss and Welker? I certainly don't.

Last edited:

and dontc forget something about Montana. Early in his career, he was a GREAT scrambler, and was a huge threat running the ball. Watch tapes of the 1984 49ers, and the SB when the 49ers beat the Dolphins. That might have been the best all-around QB play ever. Is like young people who only saw the later years of Larry Bird with the short hair, i tell them, go watch his "long hair" early days. 1981, 1984, 1986. same with Montana. Great in 1989. incredible in 1984.

that being said, like Madden said, in 2007 nobody has played the position better than Brady. ever.

Elway?

What did Elway ever do to put him ahead?

You are either a bean-counter, or you simply don't know how good John Elway was.

Also, why include Unitas? If you include Unitas, might as well put Otto Graham up there.

Remember, back then they didn't have high completion percentages because the passing game did not utilize the short passes of today's teams. The number of passes, and the completion percentages, and even the TDs were affected by the run mentality.

When you compare great QBs you cannot simply bean-count. It's a gross injustice to players who were at the top of the game for years.

There isn't a way to settle this argument in a way that satifies everybody except to bean-count and stick to that.

I think if you do that you run into problems with Starr though because I believe he won NFL championships right before he won two straight SBs, right? He may be the only QB on the list to dominate 3-4 championships in a row like that.

But that's another set of circumstantial beans to be counted by people who never stop trying to prove points that can't be proven. I would suggest a moratorium on ranking players for the sake of enjoying them for who they are or who they were. To say anything negative about a player like Elway is just forcing you to dumb yourself down and miss the point about how good Elway was.

Same for any of the truly great ones. They were great, our guy is great, they are all great, and that is not something they will say about Chad Pennington.

Bart Starr won three championships ('65, '66, '67) in a row. Who else did that?

Come on, you're not going to ever rank players who have done outstanding things at the highest level, and settle any arguments.

In the old days they didn't throw the ball short like we do now. Now we have many more completions, more yardage, more TDs because of the way we use the passing game. Bean-counting is a losing battle. You are minimizing a player's actual achievements and worth.

Brady is one of the best ever - but we knew that already. The fact that he hasn't won three straight doesn't actually diminish his achievements, but the fact that Starr didn't throw 50 TDs doesn't diminish his achievements either. Lots of numbers are simply a result of how the game is played, the venue, the luck, the offensive scheme, the supporting cast, the coaches, etc.

Brady is one of the best ever. But we knew that!

Brady is the GREATEST of ALL TIME. End of story. Throw stats in the garbage where they belong. You got 1 game to win. Who do you want running your offense? Give me Brady anyday of the week. The guy is MONEY.

Before LAST YEAR's season, I had him #2 behind Montana.

After last season, I had him #1 all time.

He seems to be getting better and better as he gets into his prime years.
This regular season was ridiculous! Imagine what's ahead!

For me, BEST EVER, no question.

Right now i think hes moved past Bradshaw, Staubach, Starr and Favre and i put him at #4 behind only Montana, Unitas, and Elway.

if he wins his 4th Super Bowl I move him up to # 3.

5 more years and he'll be # 1

Why one earth would you put him behind Unitas & Elway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News