PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Where does Brady rank all-time now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
montana once had a great quote on elway's large number of 4th Q comebacks... he laughed at the stat and said something to the effect of "you have to be LOSING in the 4th Q to make a 4th Q comeback"

I hate to break this news to you, but that is an absolutely STUPID comment by Joe Montana. What is the great insight in this comment? It doesn't matter if a team is losing in the 4th quarter...it says nothing about the team or the QB. The ONLY thing that matters is the score at the end of the game. So 4th quarter come-backs are a huge statistic that says a lot about a QB...his leadership ability & his ability to cope under extreme pressure. It is one of the great separators between good QB's and the great ones.

Last edited:
Here's another thing to think about. Brady has never missed a game due to injury or any other reason. Brady has now started 111 consecutive games. Montana missed tons of games due to injuries/etc. Montana only had 2 season in which he started/played in every game. Thats pretty bad. I understand that they had Steve Young coming up and all, but if Montana was really the GOAT or even close, why would you EVER play someone else during Montana's prime? I'll ask you this, would you ever start any other QB over Brady?

That would all depend on who you are:

If you are a Patriots fan the greatest QB ever is Tom Brady.
Dolphins - Marino
49ers - Montana
Steelers - Bradshaw or Unitas
Cowboys - Staubach
Packers - Farve or Starr
Broncos - Elway
Colts - Manning

Almost every poster on this thread loses credibility if he doesn't put Manning in at least the top five, if not the top three, of all time. I suspect that there is a large dose of irrational feeling toward Manning simply because he is Brady's contemporary and major rival. But Manning is absolutely in the same stratosphere as Brady; whether he is equal is almost impossible to assess since they are so close.

Some posters toss out Manning's stats as irrelevant (actually, I pretty much agree -- see below), but if you do that, you also have to discount big wins, which some posters use to make the case that Brady is better than Manning. You can't simply use playoff success as the deciding factor between the two of them. Yes, it is one factor, but not the overwhelming factor since neither QB plays defense or special teams. They have less than 50 percent influence over whether their teams win. (And Manning, you will recall, has had a worse defense in Indy in almost every year he has been Brady's rival. That is every bit as important an issue in this discussion as Manning's having had better receivers in many years.)

Stats, as some have noted on this thread, are also misleading. I agree that you should discount Manning's gaudy stats vs. Brady's simply good stats (before this year). There are too many variables that contribute to stats. (Witness Rivers' QB rating.)

Furthermore, to not consider old-time QBs like Unitas in this discussion is like saying you can't put Bill Russell in a discussion about the greatest centers of all-time. That strikes me as crazy. (Unitas was a contemporary of Russell's.)

I think it mainly comes down to what you see with your own eyes. You throw out the stats and wins (if you put huge weight on wins, some great athletes never get into the Halls of Fame in all sports), and mainly decide who would give your team the best chance of winning, all other factors being equal.

Unitas belongs in that discussion. As does Starr. Maybe Elway (kind of erractic). And certainly Montana, Brady and Manning.

In a year or two, Brady may be clearly out in front.

On second thought, i'm re-ranking my top Quarterbacks.

#1) Billy Joe Hobert
#2) Billy Joe Tolliver

and rounding out my heroes at number 3 we have Tom Brady.

I don't think you lose credibility if Manning isn't in your Top 5. There's LOTS of great QBs that have played the game. If you narrow it down to modern QBs the result might be different. But with guys like Sammy Baugh and Bart Starr and Johnny Unitas, it's definitely possible for Manning not to crack the Top 5.

1. Brady
2. Montana
3. Unitas
4. Elway
5. Staubach

How could there be this much seperation between Brady and Manning? Rings.

I hate to break this news to you, but that is an absolutely STUPID comment by Joe Montana. What is the great insight in this comment? It doesn't matter if a team is losing in the 4th quarter...it says nothing about the team or the QB. The ONLY thing that matters is the score at the end of the game. So 4th quarter come-backs are a huge statistic that says a lot about a QB...his leadership ability & his ability to cope under extreme pressure. It is one of the great separators between good QB's and the great ones.
You never know if it was taken out of context, or even if Joe said it. I did hear Joe say recently when asked about Brady's performance this year and how it compared with anything he did, and Joe said he didn't come close to this. He about said Brady's better. Joe is and always has been a humble guy, and always my second favorite QB ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes