PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When should the pats start resting starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Pats should rest their starters between about 10PM and 6AM nightly.

True, but remember what happened to welker last r year when the pats had nothing to play for.

both arguments are valid in their own right... we won't rest anyone untill 2nd half of the last game i would think... then agin BB want "60 F@*king minutes" hahah would be good to rest people with injuries and maybe get fred taylor some reps no?

But i also don't think we even get close to that until we have locked up the bye and the 1st team puts points on the board in the final game

If we get past Green Bay and Buffalo, and go up multiple scores on Miami before halftime (like today), I wouldn't mind seeing a few guys rested (Brady, Welker, Branch, Wilfork, McCourty, etc.) in the second half. We rested guys in 2005. That move had absolutely ZERO impact on our exit from the playoffs. Conversely, we didn't rest guys in 2006 against the Tits and lost Rodney. That move had direct impact on our exit from the playoffs. Unless you think that Rodney couldn't have done a better job on Dallas Clark than Eric Alexander did.

i agree with this line. Start the 1st team... don't take them out till they put a TD on the Dolphins then take out Brady et al. I want to see tate, edelman, hernandez, butler, taylor e.t.c getting some reps in game to get ready for the playoffs

Who won't play if Game 16 has no bearing on post season?

First, let's get the legal disclaimer out of the way.

***The OP is not affiliated with the New England Patriots as a player, coach or other official staff member. Discussion or expression of thoughts and opinions regarding regular season games beyond the next immediate contest has no bearing on the actual outcome. Message board members who are therefore uncomfortable with such discussions on the belief that what they type violates the “one game at a time” philosophy mandated by the actual team itself are encouraged to discontinue reading beyond this disclaimer. Thank You.*** :D

Ok, so now onto my question. The Pats are in great shape to wrap up the #1 seed in the next 2 weeks. Doing so would render the final home game against Miami meaningless for the Pats. If that happens, the obvious question leading up to that game will be who should see the field at all. I'm sure last year's incident with Welker will be brought up that entire week and Belichick will likely stick with his response that all players should be ready to play. However, there is some precedent here from 2005 when Cassel played the final 3 quarters of that Dolphins game.

Granted, they can't sit everyone and an injury could happen at any time, but it would seem the only way to guarantee that the critical starters don't miss the playoffs would be to keep them on the sideline.

Perhaps they can still help out by making a wall during punt returns! ;)

Re: Who won't play if Game 16 has no bearing on post season?

No-one will not play for reasons other than injury or depth.

Last edited:

I would hope all players play at least part of the game. We seen too many times in the past few years where a team rests it's players just to be knocked the F-out when their playoff games comes. Especially if you have a first week bye.

***The OP is not affiliated with the New England Patriots as a player, coach or other official staff member. Discussion or expression of thoughts and opinions regarding regular season games beyond the next immediate contest has no bearing on the actual outcome. Message board members who are therefore uncomfortable with such discussions on the belief that what they type violates the “one game at a time” philosophy mandated by the actual team itself are encouraged to discontinue reading beyond this disclaimer. Thank You.*** :D

:youtheman:

I didn't get past that part. Now I will have to read what the thread is all about.

No-one will not play for reasons other than injury or depth.

Agreed. The members of this team will take days off after the playoffs end, not before that date. If the final regular season game is well in hand, then players might find the bench. That's about it.

Belichick embraces the "sleep when you're dead" credo, so I don't expect a change of heart at this stage of his coaching career.

Last edited:

I can see the Pats resting guys if they had to play wildcard weekend (like they did in 2005), especially with the early bye week this year. However, with a first-round bye, I suspect BB will be wary of the team being too cold after not playing a game for 3 weeks. I don't think anyone will be rested.

Regards,
Chris

Patriot players WANT to play....BB isn't the type of coach who usually gives players a game off......Let Brady play until halftime......if the game is in hand, Hoyer can play.....if it isn't, Brady gets one series in second half....

Maybe we have a Taylor Price sighting vs Miami......

I think all of the other rookies have seen the field this season at one time or another except Price....

Lets beat GB first...and then the Bills in Buffalo (should be a hard fought game).

Everybody that doesn't have an injury concern will play.

Who won't play? The 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Final game, in the 3rd or 4th quarter. Doubt even that happens though.

The pats should only rest starters if they are injured.... With how this team is playing right now. Why the f*ck would you mess up their rhythm and timing? Or their karma for that matter.

True, but remember what happened to welker last r year when the pats had nothing to play for.
Football players play football.
It is absolutely worth the risk of an injury to kepe your team sharp.
I don't want a 100% healthy, rested, out of sync, flat team that loses its first playoff game.

Ok, so now onto my question. The Pats are in great shape to wrap up the #1 seed in the next 2 weeks. Doing so would render the final home game against Miami meaningless for the Pats. If that happens, the obvious question leading up to that game will be who should see the field at all. I'm sure last year's incident with Welker will be brought up that entire week and Belichick will likely stick with his response that all players should be ready to play. However, there is some precedent here from 2005 when Cassel played the final 3 quarters of that Dolphins game.

Granted, they can't sit everyone and an injury could happen at any time, but it would seem the only way to guarantee that the critical starters don't miss the playoffs would be to keep them on the sideline.

Perhaps they can still help out by making a wall during punt returns! ;)
There aren't enough players to sit all of the starters.
Putting some starters on the field with a bunch of reserves increases the chance of injury.
But, keeping the team fresh, even at the expense of an injury is what matters most. It wont matter who didnt get injured if resting players leaves you out of sync and losing.

They really should start resting up after the packer game imo.
Worst concept if ever there was one.

Better concept is getting the reserves in on some packages here and there.

there's a great business school case that is still taught about the Challenger in '86.

I don't want to ruin the ending for you, but the crux of the exercise becomes clear when you look at the O-ring data. If you look only at the data from the launches that had the common outcome (i.e. successful launch), you come to the conclusion that the everything is good to go with the launch.

Then only a small percentage of the best students overlay the O-ring data of the failed launches and realize something is terribly wrong. They would never launch.

So in football, if you say "hey look, when did BB ever rest his starters in 01,03,04?" you will invariably start ridiculing other posters with totally invalid data. He always wins superbowls without resting his starters, right, 100% of the time.

hint: throw in 06 (rodney) and 09 (welker) - its the O-ring data you aint looking at.

For all the reasons noted in this thread, this is the most absurd.

Imagine the death stare BB would deliver to someone even suggesting this reasoning.

full tilt..they will have a week off before their playoff game

there's a great business school case that is still taught about the Challenger in '86.

I don't want to ruin the ending for you, but the crux of the exercise becomes clear when you look at the O-ring data. If you look only at the data from the launches that had the common outcome (i.e. successful launch), you come to the conclusion that the everything is good to go with the launch.

Then only a small percentage of the best students overlay the O-ring data of the failed launches and realize something is terribly wrong. They would never launch.

So in football, if you say "hey look, when did BB ever rest his starters in 01,03,04?" you will invariably start ridiculing other posters with totally invalid data. He always wins superbowls without resting his starters, right, 100% of the time.

hint: throw in 06 (rodney) and 09 (welker) - its the O-ring data you aint looking at.

Throw in the data from 05. Rested anyone with as much as a papercut, pulled Brady. Didn't win superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes