PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When should the pats start resting starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would start resting the people who are Questionable or worse on the injury reports right now (they rarely play anyways if I am remembering correctly). I would want to spare Branch once everything is clinched given his injury history and McCourty I honestly would let him rest this week and keep resting that until we lose a regular season game.

Whenever the top seed is locked up. I'm not sure what the exact combination of wins and other teams losing is but if they win and the steelers lose this weekend (not counting on it, the Jets suck) the best the steelers could do is match records and lose on a head to head tiebreaker.

I don't suggest they take off the entirely of the last two games since that backfired on the Colts last year, but I don't want to see starters playing into the second half of the game against the Dolphins. Brady's home winning streak is nice but that is already at a lofty number, and I'd rather they get the hardware in February. I don't want to see Belichick making the same mistake as last year where a key player gets hurt in a meaningless game.

Our last two games are division/conference games. Any sense of what those mean?

I have a sense that the last game of the regular season will mean absolutely nothing.

The correct answer is:

It's the coaches decision and he knows a hell of a lot more about what's best for his team than any of us do.

Last edited:
Whenever the top seed is locked up. I'm not sure what the exact combination of wins and other teams losing is but if they win and the steelers lose this weekend (not counting on it, the Jets suck) the best the steelers could do is match records and lose on a head to head tiebreaker.

I don't suggest they take off the entirely of the last two games since that backfired on the Colts last year, but I don't want to see starters playing into the second half of the game against the Dolphins. Brady's home winning streak is nice but that is already at a lofty number, and I'd rather they get the hardware in February. I don't want to see Belichick making the same mistake as last year where a key player gets hurt in a meaningless game.

I don't think there is a debate. Once home field advantage is secured throughout the playoffs, you can then start sitting guys down. Until then, unless a player is banged up and some extra rest would take him from 70% to 99.9% effective in the playoffs, play 'em!

Last edited:
Week 17, after clinching everything the previous week, I'd like to see them role out an entirely new offense, with Edelman and Hoyer running Wildcat and similar plays, just to make the next team think about preparing for it.

Relax people. BB can rest anyone he wants after the Pats beat GB and the Steelers and Jets tie tomorrow.:cool:

Week 17, after clinching everything the previous week, I'd like to see them role out an entirely new offense, with Edelman and Hoyer running Wildcat and similar plays, just to make the next team think about preparing for it.

That would be pretty cool.

I think the Pats should rest their starters between about 10PM and 6AM nightly.
This. Plenty of time for them to rest after the first week in February.

Just after the Superbowl?

And if it works very well... even run it sometimes during the playoffs.

After the #1 seed has been clinched, then you pull the starters early in subsequent games, and completely rest guys who have particular needs to heal up.

But there aren't that many guys for whom you can go to the extreme of excusing them from practice/game prep/game day activation. We just aren't deep enough at many position groups to do that and still respect the game.

Even if Hoyer started, for example, Brady would have to be active because there's no true #3 QB.

I think all the starters should suit up for every game now, but they shouldnt finish games. If we clinch 1# seed then we should take starters out the 2nd half against Dolphins!

Play em all.....just get more plays for the backups.......

No rest until the 1st round bye week. Everyone who rests before then seems to forget how to play football.

Rest 'em all after the parade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back