PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When should the pats start resting starters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In any of the other SB runs, when have the Pats rested their starters for more than a half?

there's a great business school case that is still taught about the Challenger in '86.

I don't want to ruin the ending for you, but the crux of the exercise becomes clear when you look at the O-ring data. If you look only at the data from the launches that had the common outcome (i.e. successful launch), you come to the conclusion that the everything is good to go with the launch.

Then only a small percentage of the best students overlay the O-ring data of the failed launches and realize something is terribly wrong. They would never launch.

So in football, if you say "hey look, when did BB ever rest his starters in 01,03,04?" you will invariably start ridiculing other posters with totally invalid data. He always wins superbowls without resting his starters, right, 100% of the time.

hint: throw in 06 (rodney) and 09 (welker) - its the O-ring data you aint looking at.

Last edited:
That freak accident could happen at practice. So you don't want the starters to practice either?

Amazing isn't it...they can grow up here and go to 19 games and never learn a damn thing about BB and his football philosophy. Football players play football. For 60 minutes too. That's been a point of emphasis all season. They only mastered it recently.

If there is nothing to be gained regarding seeding, he will rest those who need it because of injury who probably wouldn't play other than if it were a playoff. For everyone else it's business as usual. This remains a young defense and developing offense who need every rep together they can get. That's why he left Brady in today until he connected with Tate. Then he sat him. Brady and Tate may need that play down the road...

Last edited:
Pull them out late in the game if we are dominating. Otherwise, keep the starters in because we don't want to screw up their momentum. I think rotating players properly is the key so nobody is getting pounded on.

They really should start resting up after the packer game imo.
Too soon to even talk about it. We're could still lose the top seed to Pittsburgh. Hell, even to the Jets. Jacksonville?

Im just saying for two years some dumb ass fluke injury happened to the pats.

I DON'T WANT THIS YEAR TO BE A THIRD

They really should start resting up after the packer game imo.
Are you serious? Rest players. They can have some rest during the first round by week.

So now Brady shouldnt have played opening day in '09? Injuries happen, they are part of the game. You play with the cards you are dealt

I here you, IMO its a fine line to walk. I certainly hope that nothing bad happens but there are times where Brady and co are still in the game when the outcome is pretty much decided. Id like to see guys like welker get some rest at the end of some of these games. Mayo, Willfork, Chung..etc could also use some rest come late december.

If we get past Green Bay and Buffalo, and go up multiple scores on Miami before halftime (like today), I wouldn't mind seeing a few guys rested (Brady, Welker, Branch, Wilfork, McCourty, etc.) in the second half. We rested guys in 2005. That move had absolutely ZERO impact on our exit from the playoffs. Conversely, we didn't rest guys in 2006 against the Tits and lost Rodney. That move had direct impact on our exit from the playoffs. Unless you think that Rodney couldn't have done a better job on Dallas Clark than Eric Alexander did.

Last edited:
The only players I would want to rest are the ones that appear on the injury report (talking about Quest/doubt,really banged up) and Deion Branch since he's so delicate.

With a bye week, the team will have plenty of rest.

I'm just amazed we're even having this conversation this season, feels aweosme :D

Last edited:
Aaron rodgers most likely won't play next year and the jets have to face the steelers.

What's your point? That just means one of the Jets or Steelers will keep pace with us, either for the division or the #1 seed.

Way too early to talk about resting starters. And that's even before we get into whether we SHOULD rest our starters, which is a separate argument in itself.

What's your point? That just means one of the Jets or Steelers will keep pace with us, either for the division or the #1 seed.

Way too early to talk about resting starters. And that's even before we get into whether we SHOULD rest our starters, which is a separate argument in itself.

Yeah, but watching brady and the offense still throwing with a 20 point lead in the final 8 minutes is kinda crazy. Can't help to think that some angry defender will take a cheap shot.

When should they start resting people? Not until the bye week when there is no game.

It's never been Belichick's style to take the foot off the gas pedal, and I don't think he starts this year. ESPECIALLY with this young defense, you want to keep the momentum going.

I'm not averse to resting players. We could have used Welker last year, could have used Rodney in '06, etc. etc. I wouldn't want to see the Pats resting guys too early though; for week 17, at the absolute max. Definitely not before they've locked up the #1 seed, and definitely not for more than 1 week since they have the bye week anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back