PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

When can we call Marquise Hill a bust?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
He hasn't done or even shown that he will do much of anything plus we just got Sullivan, giving us 2 backups/situational guys in Green and Sullivan locked up for awhile.

If you ask me this guy is just about done in New England, so don't get your hopes up.

When can we call him a bust?

When there are enough injuries for him to actually see the field.

This is one of the few cases where drafting for value can come back to bite you (although at the time, Wilfork had just been drafted, Warren was just emerging, and Green and Seymour had yet to be locked up).

Last edited:
I would say, that if he does not see more time in the DL rotation this year, he would be a bust. This is barring a nagging injury.

I still do have hopes for this kid though.

Last edited:
Maybe next year...year after..a LOT depends on his attitude and whether he is in a backup role and can be relied upon in case of injury...BJ did make big plays..and was a solid KR..but he lacked a lot of things..to the point where he was inactive when there were injuries...

I remember watching him in TC last summer and thinking man this guy is going to be a beast. That having been said, it was during TC and he hasn't really seen any playing time. I still have to think that on a different team which lacked such a high level of play from is d-line, he might have already flourished. Maybe that is too optimistic, but hey, why not?

Who is he going to sub for and when? The guy could be all world and not play here. Seymour and Warren are both monster talents. I don't think this is as much an indictment of Hill as it is an acknowledgment of how good Seymour, Warren and Green are. They are great. I think Marquise Hill is a good player and will get better. 6'7'' 310 lb people aren't very common, and he was a terror at LSU...

Hill's getting another year, IMO. He has been disappointing, even considering the tough competition in front of him, but his talent deserves a little more leeway than most. If not, we're obviously covered.

PATSNUTme said:
I would say, that if he does not see more time in the DL rotation this year, he would be a bust. This is barring a nagging injury.

I still do have hopes for this kid though.

But there aren't any players instead of him seeing time in the rotation. There's no need for him to. Seymour should and is out there every play. Warren and Wilfork give way to Green on most 3rd downs. Hill isn't a Jarvis Green type of player. He's not a 3rd down pass rusher. He's much more of a run stopper who sees his time on the goal line. But there's no reason to take playing time away form the best and one of the better DEs in the league (Seymour, Warren)

PonyExpress said:
Who is he going to sub for and when? The guy could be all world and not play here. Seymour and Warren are both monster talents. I don't think this is as much an indictment of Hill as it is an acknowledgment of how good Seymour, Warren and Green are. They are great. I think Marquise Hill is a good player and will get better. 6'7'' 310 lb people aren't very common, and he was a terror at LSU...

Right on!

Last edited:
Too soon

There is simply too much veteran talent on the line to call him a bust. He did get some PT last season, which is a good sign. BB rewards good practice time during the week with increased PT on Sundays. The jury's still out on Hill. Dont think that the Sullivan deal had anything to do with Hill's prospects. BB's just being opportunistic. Not every day you have the option to trade for a top-10 draft talent, in exchange for a guy you were probably thinking of cutting.

You don't have to say it...

because the FAT LADY has already sung it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Last edited:
If it was simply a case of Hill being held back by the talent in front of him, he would have played when Seymour was out for 4 games. Instead he was inactive for 1 and an active DNP in another.

dhamz said:
If it was simply a case of Hill being held back by the talent in front of him, he would have played when Seymour was out for 4 games. Instead he was inactive for 1 and an active DNP in another.

You just won the Troy Brown "BINGO" Award.
Congrats for rational thinking.

Possibility 1: BB reallllly likes the idea of a ton of talented big guys at defensive line, possibly so he can get a Big Man Dance Challenge ring.

Possibility 2: BB is sick of Hill, who he does not see as productive (this possibility is only borne out with Sullivan at end, not NT)

Possibility 3: BB does like what he sees of Hill thus far, cannot get him on the field, and sees Green as getting way too expensive for a backup.

Possibility 4: The 3-5-3 defense, in which two linebackers are massive D-line guys in the middle, two are pass coverage aces, and one is a roving disrupter.
This is not a serious suggestion but I will say it was if anybody ever uses it.

Maybe Mrs. B will have some words of wisdom on this one come July (if it's still a topic of conversation...)

PFnV

dhamz said:

Totally agree, I'm not sold on the theory that Hill's not a bust because he never sees action. That seems a little backwards to me...I worry that he could be a bust because he never sees action.

In general, as we read the Foxboro tea leaves none of the signs look great for Hill. Jarvis Green was signed to a decent-sized extension to play ahead of this 2nd-round pick. Mike Wright made the gameday roster rather than activating Hill and using Green or Warren to back up the middle. No dribbles of positive buzz coming from the media. Etc. At the very least, it seems clear that he's not setting the world on fire.

I am, of course, wildly eager to be proven wrong! Hill certainly looks like a spectacular specimen...at TC you always hear murmurs through the crowd: "Wow!! Who's number 91?"

PatsFanInVa said:
Possibility 1: BB reallllly likes the idea of a ton of talented big guys at defensive line, possibly so he can get a Big Man Dance Challenge ring.

Possibility 2: BB is sick of Hill, who he does not see as productive (this possibility is only borne out with Sullivan at end, not NT)

Possibility 3: BB does like what he sees of Hill thus far, cannot get him on the field, and sees Green as getting way too expensive for a backup.

Possibility 4: The 3-5-3 defense, in which two linebackers are massive D-line guys in the middle, two are pass coverage aces, and one is a roving disrupter.
This is not a serious suggestion but I will say it was if anybody ever uses it.

Maybe Mrs. B will have some words of wisdom on this one come July (if it's still a topic of conversation...)

PFnV
Possibility 5: BB likes to have quality backups. Should the DLine ever get the injury bug like DBs have been, it will be nice to have a backup rather than go out and try to sign a DE in December, when the only guys available are Steve Martin and Bernard Holser.

spacecrime said:
Possibility 5: BB likes to have quality backups. Should the DLine ever get the injury bug like DBs have been, it will be nice to have a backup rather than go out and try to sign a DE in December, when the only guys available are Steve Martin and Bernard Holser.

Way too logical.

Not that you want to rank close to the bottom of anything, but I think BB is probably a tad happier with the 2005 horrible pass D than the 2002 horrible run D.

But be fair - that really is part of Possibility 1, Big Man Dance Challenge aside.

PFnV

When?

How about after his 4th Pro Bowl!!! You heard me, PRO BOWL!!!

Oh, sorry, getting a little carried away.

Keep the faith on this kid. He could still be all right. We'll know this year.

Looks like he'll have a LAP RUNNING PARTNER in Sullivan.

drew4008 said:
He hasn't done or even shown that he will do much of anything plus we just got Sullivan, giving us 2 backups/situational guys in Green and Sullivan locked up for awhile.

If you ask me this guy is just about done in New England, so don't get your hopes up.

I don't see how trading Johnson (who probably wasn't making the team anyway) for Sullivan (A certified bust) has anything to do with Marquise Hill.

I'd say we have to give the guy another year. If at this time next year we still don't know if he is any good (or we know that he stinks), then it is time to talk about him being a bust.

This is too soon IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference