Welcome to PatsFans.com

What upgrades are essential to the offense?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +400 / 33 / -5

It seems likely we will sign a FB, likely Evans. Given that addition, where do see the greatest needs for the success of the 2009-2010 season or even beyond? Are any serious enough to make it a high priority for free agency and/or the draft?

For all the grinding and gnashing of teeth, I see only two upgrades that meets that standard. The rest seem to be wants not needs. These minor additions should make our offense one of the best in the league for the next couple of years.

1) We need to sign a receiver or two. As it stands, if Moss or Welker are out for a few games, we're toast. Gaffney is certainly likely to be on the short list.
    2) I would also like to upgrade Connolly/Wendell with a high draftee who could start at guard in 2010.

JANUARY 31 ROSTER - OFFENSE
    QB - 3 Brady, O'Connell, Gutierrez
    RB - 4 Maroney, Faulk, Morris, Green-Ellis
    FB - 1 (Evans/fa)
    C - 2 Koppen, Connolly/Wendell
    G - 3 Neal, Mankins, Yates
    OT - 4 Light, Kaczur, LeVoir, O'Callaghan
    WR - 5 Moss, Welker, Washington, Aiken, Slater
    TE - 3 Watson, Dave Thomas, Devree

2. makoute

makoute In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +43 / 2 / -0

A third receiver, they can always get better on the line. Other than than defense has the most pressing needs.

3. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +894 / 20 / -20

I would agree, but add that there is no question we are adding a WR or 2 whether its Gaffeny or not. I think we may add OLs but only in minor FA or late pick moves.
    If we add the defensive side to thins equation, and use your needs vs want approach, it seems to add up to (especially when Cassell is traded for picks IF they are 09 picks) have enough resources to fill needs, but also address wants.

Its ironic that after not making the playoffs for the first time in a long time, the team may be in better shape for the future than at any time in memory.

4. mgteich

Ratings:
    +400 / 33 / -5

I think that we in better shape going into the 2004 and 2008 seasons. In 2004, we had one of the best teams in the history of the league. In 2008, we lost Brady and Thomas and didn't. But your primary point is well taken. Presuming Brady's health, we are in fine shape

5. AllabouttheVinces

AllabouttheVinces Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Agree that WR is the #1 need. Bringing back Gaffney is logical, but what's also needed is someone to groom for when Moss retires. What's he got left - 2 or 3 years?

#2 need I think is new blood at RB. Kevin Faulk is the ageless wonder, but father time will catch up some day. Maybe Law Firm can grow into Faulk-light.

I'm also betting that BB won't go 2 straight years without drafting a TE.

One more thing - we have no punter.

6. DESERTPAT

DESERTPAT Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

This has nothing to do with this thread, but since i wouldn't know how to start one I'll just throw this in here

List of fan-loyalty rankings

7. khayos

khayos In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I thought Slater played more safety than WR.

8. AndyJohnson

AndyJohnson PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +894 / 20 / -20

Im also factoring in age, we have gotten a lot younger on defense.

9. willdeespats

willdeespats Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0

#91 Jersey

Proposed new paragraph 3)

3) I think it essential that Yates be upgraded. Until Neal returned last fall, the OL play was marginal at best. Yates seemed only to be able to block straight ahead. If he had to move laterally to pick up a block, it rarely happened. Hochstein plays best as a backup LG/C and a sometime blocking TE/FB and he needs to be resigned and on the roster instead of Yates.

10. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,815 / 17 / -6

Well, with Brady's career over and being traded to the 49ers, I would say QB is our biggest priority wouldn't you think?

11. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

exactly, he cant even move, I hear. So since that slug is out of here Cassel needs a veteran backup!

12. mgteich

Ratings:
    +400 / 33 / -5

Yes, I would like our #4 guard, who is almost always inactive to be upgraded. The #4 guard /#5 interior lineman plays only when two interior linemen are injured. If this is an essential personnel issue, then we CERTAINLY have the best offense ever. :)

That being said, I am one of the biggest proponents of upgrades at guard. As of know, I still want to use our #23 on a guard to replace Neal or Mankins in 2010. In the end you are probably correct. Hochstein will be re-signed as the #1 backup off the bench, the gameday backup at center and both guard positions, and a draftee will be brought in to compete with Yates.

13. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

No essential upgrades needed. #3 WR and TE could use an upgrade but I wouldn't be terribly upset if nothing was done. Maybe some depth on the line. This offseason should be focused on defense.

14. dhamz

dhamz In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Agree completely.

15. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +300 / 22 / -15

No one agrees with me but 2007 and 2008 were MAJOR rebuilding years for the Patriots. Yet they won eighteen and eleven games respectively, while doing so. In 2007 they rebuilt the Offense with mostly trades on Offense. In 2008 they rebuilt the Defense, mostly with draftees. And the 2009 DRAFT positions and number of picks is more cream.

I STILL say the rebuilt JUGGERNAUT is building up Steam. :D

16. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +432 / 12 / -27

A receiving TE would add a dimension to this offense... depth on the O line is always nice.. Yates was not the answer.

17. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +300 / 22 / -15

ther si onlyonefootbsll. Moss and Welker and Faulk got 200 catches. The TE got thirty. What is wrong with that? What makes you think that a receiving TE would get more then Watson and Thomas?:D

18. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Yates has to go. Neal's return made a huge difference. If there's another OL injury like that I sure as ** don't want our newly-healed TFB behind Yates EVER again, if we can help it. :eek: I want our OL as armorized as possible.

19. HEY BRO! WHAT UP?

HEY BRO! WHAT UP? Banned

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Always can upgrade the O-line and get one more WR that is a deep threat. Yet, you will probably disagree with me.

20. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +432 / 12 / -27

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.. my point is that another pass receiving te, may diminish the need for a 3rd receiver... the consensus seems to be that Gaffney is not meeting the need, and a TE may be a way of resolving it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.