PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with the #7 pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College - Yes, it's time to start thinking about life after Brady, and we all know Matt Cassell and Matt Gutierrez aren't the answer. Who fits better in Boston than a kid who played @ BC and has a last name like Ryan?!?!? Plus, he's got just a little talent!

I'm VERY happy that Belichick is the guy in control, and not you.

The other guy's that you picked are possible, but def. not this one.

McFadden would be a stupid pick,We have glaring weakness at ILB and probably CB,Even if McFadden would come in and have a 2,000 yard season what good would it do if the other teams kill our aging ILB D areas mentioned?

Besides,Maroney WITH Morris is more than an adequate RB tandem IMO

I have to disagree with this one. I am not saying the McFadden is my number 1 choice but looking past him to fill a hole would be a mistake. It is a difference in drafting - do you draft to fill holes or do you draft the best player?- I firmly believe you draft the best player.

With that said I do like Gholston and Conner but I admit I would be horrible at figuring which of the three are the best at their position

Don Banks' mock draft has us taking Gholston. That would be great. Btw, why do so many people want to use the pick to upgrade the offense? The offense is fine.

No, the offensive line is NOT fine.

Just watch the superbowl again if you don't agree.

Ummm . . . Sammy Morris says hi. :)

I realise that but is he coming back and will he still be the runner we saw last year. I like Sammy and I think if he had not gone down SB 42 might have been alot different

This is a moot point. If McFadden or Ryan were there at #7, I promise you that they aren't going to be the pick, and more likely than not that will mean a trade. We have enough holes on this team that we shouldn't be drafting in positions of strength, "best player available be damned"

There are only 2 or 3 players (Gholston being one) where I won't be severely ticked if the pick isn't "The NE Patriots select _______, CORNERBACK from ________" It's the clear need if Asante leaves, and it's not close. Just get it done.

I'm VERY happy that Belichick is the guy in control, and not you.

The other guy's that you picked are possible, but def. not this one.

All I said was "here is my wishlist of players they should be looking at in that spot".

I also said "These are in no particluar order. Just pick the one you think fills the greatest need".

Obviously, you don't think a QB @ #7 is "the one you think fills the greatest need".

Okay. I get it!

LOL!

I would take Gholston, but I think the Jets will take him.

To me it's gotta be Gholston or a corner or a trade down. I'm cool with any of those options.

Life after Brady? You kidding me - Matt Ryan's rookie contract will be expiring just as Brady's career is entering twilight. Maybe five years from now we can draft a Brady replacement, and even then I'll shudder.

Life after Brady? You kidding me - Matt Ryan's rookie contract will be expiring just as Brady's career is entering twilight. Maybe five years from now we can draft a Brady replacement, and even then I'll shudder.

Really? That means you think he has 8-9 years left?

Not me.

The guy has won three Super Bowls, been the game MVP twice, been the league MVP once, is at or near the top of the list of some pretty important records (postseason and regular season winning %, TDs in a season), bangs supermodels like they're going out of style, is a multi-multi-millionaire.

He is going to be a first ballot Hall of Famer based on what he's done already. He has a definite career in politics in MA or CA, if he wants it. He could even be a model or an actor himself with his good looks and smarts. He IS the whole package.

Why would he put his body through any more than another 4-5 years?

What? For us? The fans?

Okay, forget that for a minute.

And, okay, forget Matt Ryan despite him being a PERFECT fit for the Pats.

I ask you this one question: Are you comfortable with Cassell and Gutierrez behind Brady if he gets injured?

By the way, going back to my original list, here are the two guys I want the most and both fill BIG needs IMO:

Dan Connor, LB, Penn State - We definitely need LB help and we missed the chance to take another Nittany Lion LB stud last year when we took Bradndon Merriweather instead of Paul Posluszny. Let's right that wrong!

Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas - Because I think Asante Samuel is long gone and I don't think Ellis "Why the h e l l did they leave me one-on-one with Plaxico Burress on 3rd down with :58 left in the Super Bowl" Hobbs is the answer. Plus this kid's ballhawk in the mold of Law & Samuel.

Last edited:
What? For us? The fans?

Quite simply: for himself. When the GOAT conversation starts up, he wants it to start and end with "Tom Brady."

As for the question at the end of your post--given the choice of Matt Cassel + a #7 pick somewhere else, versus Matt Ryan + no #7 pick, yeah, I'll take my chances with Cassel.

They should take a kicker
j/k:D

I trade down and pick Safety Kenny Phillips, Miami, 6-2 208, 4.45
He's a playmaker at safety that played with Merriweather and who be a great tandom again.

With the trade say to 12 we get a 2008 2nd and 2009 1st.

With the second round pick I trade up if I have to using one of our 3rds and pick DE/OLB/ILB Quentin Groves, Auburn, 6-3 254, 4.46 who I believe would be a 2nd round steal. And is way better in coverage than Gholston who is not a LBer. This guy is the next AD.

With our 3rd pick I take an offensive guard to give us some extra depth.

What we need is "Playmakers" on defense because I felt our weakness on Defense was getting off the field on 3rd down and that's where playmakers shine through. Our only playmakers are Asante, AD and Rosie with Mike V getting older and slowing down we need them BAD.

1. Kenny Phillips
2. Quentin Groves

By the way we WILL resign Asante.

Assuming that the Pats don't draft someone off the current radar, let's look at the "consensus" picks in the top 7 and how I think the Pats react if they are there at #7:

Matt Ryan
No way they draft him, but is an ideal choice for a trade-down. Strong demand for QBs and the market is not so hot. Ryan has ideal measurables, a strong-enough arm and top intangibles. He may not turn into an All-Pro, but it is unlikely he will be a bust. Trade down and get a #1 in 2009 for the best crop of LB in quite a while.

Chris Long
This is the worst-case scenario for me. Limited options for trading down and a guy that doesn't seem to make this defense better. Deeper? Yes. Better? Not so much. So I implore you all to get out there and talk this guy up as much as possible.

Darren McFadden
Similar to Ryan above, except that the Pats can bluff a little better that they may actually take McFadden at #7. Makes it easier to get a team to pull the trigger rather than wait and try to deal with Baltimore at #8.

Glenn Dorsey
Great talent, but not a fit in terms of need or scheme. Will be able to find a partner for trading down (Cincy? Denver?) but won't be able to maximize the trade value.

Jake Long
Hard to pass on a top LT prospect. Fits from a need/scheme/money perspective. I wouldn't go in this direction, but wouldn't fault the Pats for doing it. The trade down possibilities would be tempting as I'm sure sure there would be a good number of teams in the low-to-mid 20's (the Pats drafting sweet spot) that would love a franchise LT.

Vernon Gholston
Like many of you, this is the guy I target if the Pats stick at #7...but only if they project him as having the ability to eventually play all over the field. I don't think they want to pay a one-trick pony $40+ million over 6 years.

Others
Clady - No worth the cost at #7
Ellis - See Dorsey above
McKelvin/Jenkins/Talib - Horrible value, especially for the Pats scheme

So when the Pats are sitting there at #7, the only guy I can see them taking is Gholston. Jake Long and McFadden would be tempting, but they would be much more valuable in a trade-down than actually taking them. Ditto for Ryan (except for the tempting part). Dorsey and Ellis are good values, just not for the Pats. I want no part of Chris Long and will be praying for the Fins, Rams or Jets to get him off the board before #7. The rest are just poor value at #7.

Last edited:
my draft philosophy is "take the best player available, regardless of position". so my preferences for the pats would be:

1. dorsey
2. mcfadden
3. chris long
4. vernon gholston
5. jake long

i'm not sure what defensive players fit our system better. my guess is long or gholston, but if mcfadden were there and long is gone, i jump on mcfadden. remember, we have a couple of options when filling needs.

Interesting tidbit on Gohlston:

Gholston tied the Buckeye record of 13 sacks in a single season set in 1995 by our very own Mike Vrabel.

we dont need mcfadden, if you dont believe me look the nfl.com/videos analysis of him, he has too many gaps and is not a power running back, trust me lo-mo will be huge next season barring he does not get injured, hes only 22 going on 23, hes still young, and learning quick and he has shown he can carry an offence if called upon

Why would he put his body through any more than another 4-5 years?

How about because he likes football? Tom consistently says on his Monday Morning WEEI spot that he plans to play as long as he can.

And the Matt Ryan thing is ridiculous from a salary cap perspective. You can't pay 40m to your back-up QB.

I trade down and pick Safety Kenny Phillips, Miami, 6-2 208, 4.45
He's a playmaker at safety that played with Merriweather and who be a great tandom again.

With the trade say to 12 we get a 2008 2nd and 2009 1st.

Just to be clear, you don't get 2008 2nd + 2009 1st for a five-spot swap.

Assuming that the Pats don't draft someone off the current radar, let's look at the "consensus" picks in the top 7 and how I think the Pats react if they are there at #7:

Matt Ryan
No way they draft him, but is an ideal choice for a trade-down. Strong demand for QBs and the market is not so hot. Ryan has ideal measurables, a strong-enough arm and top intangibles. He may not turn into an All-Pro, but it is unlikely he will be a bust. Trade down and get a #1 in 2009 for the best crop of LB in quite a while.

You'd have to trade down pretty far to get a #1 in 2009 for him.

Jake Long
Hard to pass on a top LT prospect. Fits from a need/scheme/money perspective. I wouldn't go in this direction, but wouldn't fault the Pats for doing it. The trade down possibilities would be tempting as I'm sure sure there would be a good number of teams in the low-to-mid 20's (the Pats drafting sweet spot) that would love a franchise LT.

Actually, I think the Pats would love to pick at 15 or 16, where the cost isn't all that much higher, and you can sign the player for six years instead of five.

. . . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back