PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What to do with the #7 pick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Long
This is the worst-case scenario for me. Limited options for trading down and a guy that doesn't seem to make this defense better. Deeper? Yes. Better? Not so much. So I implore you all to get out there and talk this guy up as much as possible.

Vernon Gholston
Like many of you, this is the guy I target if the Pats stick at #7...but only if they project him as having the ability to eventually play all over the field. I don't think they want to pay a one-trick pony $40+ million over 6 years.

Others
Clady - No worth the cost at #7
Ellis - See Dorsey above
McKelvin/Jenkins/Talib - Horrible value, especially for the Pats scheme

So when the Pats are sitting there at #7, the only guy I can see them taking is Gholston. Jake Long and McFadden would be tempting, but they would be much more valuable in a trade-down than actually taking them. Ditto for Ryan (except for the tempting part). Dorsey and Ellis are good values, just not for the Pats. I want no part of Chris Long and will be praying for the Fins, Rams or Jets to get him off the board before #7. The rest are just poor value at #7.

WTF!?!?!?

Are you high? He'd instantly be a OLB for us and hes a better all around prospect than Gholston is.

Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College - Yes, it's time to start thinking about life after Brady, and we all know Matt Cassell and Matt Gutierrez aren't the answer. Who fits better in Boston than a kid who played @ BC and has a last name like Ryan?!?!? Plus, he's got just a little talent!

This would be the worst pick in the world.
First, Matt Ryan isn't a top 10 pick
Second, You don't draft a starting qb's replacement 8 years in advance; unless you have no confidence in that qb leading your team.
Third, You don't use a first round pick on a player who has no shot at ever being a starter on your team.

For those of you wanting to draft Ryan, I am told crack kills brain cells so you better get off of it. Too much money for a backup QB.

My pick would be Gholston.

Wow i thought people were joking about Drafting Ryan but if you people are serious then i dont know what to tell you.

Maybe put down the mouse and keyboard and go get some food and take a walk in the park or something because patriots offseason activities are not for you.

How about because he likes football? Tom consistently says on his Monday Morning WEEI spot that he plans to play as long as he can.

And the Matt Ryan thing is ridiculous from a salary cap perspective. You can't pay 40m to your back-up QB.

Do you think he'll get $40m?

Admittedly, I am not a salary cap guru.

You'd have to trade down pretty far to get a #1 in 2009 for him.

Agreed. You would probably have to drop into the 20's...and even then there would have to be someone at #7 that a team would really think would be a franchise guy. McFadden definitely qualifies. I think Ryan does as well but that opinion is certainly not universal. Maybe Jake Long, but there have been some notable top 10 OT misses recently that could scare teams away.

Actually, I think the Pats would love to pick at 15 or 16, where the cost isn't all that much higher, and you can sign the player for six years instead of five.

Appreciate you bringing that up because I keep forgetting that point. That definitely factors in the strategy of trading down.

Wow i thought people were joking about Drafting Ryan but if you people are serious then i dont know what to tell you.

Maybe put down the mouse and keyboard and go get some food and take a walk in the park or something because patriots offseason activities are not for you.

First of all, my post was not "Draft Ryan at All Costs!!!!!!"

I just threw out some names of some guys I thought we had needs for.

No, I did not research what every #7 pick has made over the past 10 years, and no, I am not a salary cap guy.

I was just free-lancing some thoughts about where our needs lie, and for me, backup QB IS a need on this team because we really don't have a decent one!

Jeez, I know we're all pissed about losing the Super Bowl, but this really is NOT a controversial post at all, unless you just need to make it that for whatever reason.

Do you think he'll get $40m?

Admittedly, I am not a salary cap guru.
There's a thread pinned on the Draft Board with these numbers. It's less than half of that at #10 so a small trade down makes a huge difference.

Drafting Ryan now would be like me getting a heart donor ready for when I need a new heart - and I'm only 41. There's not much that would irritate me on draft but but, while I like him, drafting Ryan at #7 would irritate me very much.

I would like Ryan to be on the board at #7, because he might bring the most value in a trade-down.

People will overpay for a QB if they have a crappy one, and their fans will love the trade. Even if it was over and above the value charts, if Ryan were there then a #1 next year and a decent pick this year (15-25) might be attainable

Don Banks' mock draft has us taking Gholston. That would be great. Btw, why do so many people want to use the pick to upgrade the offense? The offense is fine.

I want it for defense... unless Chad Johnson wants to play for the Pats and sign for less.

No player coming out of this draft is going to have as much impact as Chad Johnson next year.

That being said, Gholston sounds fantastic to me. I'm also thinking that Chris Long is going to take some hits about his athleticism between now and April. He may be there at 7.

First of all, my post was not "Draft Ryan at All Costs!!!!!!"

I just threw out some names of some guys I thought we had needs for.

No, I did not research what every #7 pick has made over the past 10 years, and no, I am not a salary cap guy.

I was just free-lancing some thoughts about where our needs lie, and for me, backup QB IS a need on this team because we really don't have a decent one!

Jeez, I know we're all pissed about losing the Super Bowl, but this really is NOT a controversial post at all, unless you just need to make it that for whatever reason.

-Never said it was

-We have a need at QB? Really? I dont think anyone thinks so. But if this is true then if Indy were in our spot and drafted a QB this high what would you say? Genius or what the hell did they do that for?

-Regardless why would you ask for a below average prospect in Matt Ryan. Jesus its MATT RYAN! Hes not even good. Hes a little above average. He had one good year in college and that was last season.

-Neither does: Indy, Pitts., Dallas or Giants. But does it matter who they have at backup? No. I picked only those 4 teams because they were all contenders. I could have easily picked more.

-You call for a 1st round pick to be used on a QB to replace Brady for the future but fail to realize what it would do to Ryan himself. I dont think not playing 3 or 4 years would help him be a great player to step right into the league.

I would like Ryan to be on the board at #7, because he might bring the most value in a trade-down.
Agreed, it's a deep QB draft this year but Ryan is likely the only first round QB (pre combine). A team very well may want to trade up for him rather than take a Flacco, Henne, Brohem, etc.

WTF!?!?!?

Are you high? He'd instantly be a OLB for us and hes a better all around prospect than Gholston is.

Have you actually seen Chris Long play? What makes you think he has the skills to be a LB? He was a productive DE in a watered-down ACC. No coverage skills and poor pursuit speed. He has good strength but is primarily an effort and high-motor guy...which is like someone telling you your blind date has a good personality.

The best defensive player on the board.

To waste the #7 pick in the draft to improve the greatest offense in the history of the NFL would be ridiculous.

This is a defensive draft afrom start to bottom for the Patriots.

I'm thinking Brohm will have a better career than Ryan in the NFL. Brohm impressed me quite a bit.

As for the Patriots in later rounds, the CB from PSU Justin King has outstanding size and speed, but he's been buried under Joe Pa's blundering the last few years. I'm betting the kid is a much better corner than Joe Pa's soft zone defense has allowed him to be. He might be a steal.

As for the Patriots in later rounds, the CB from PSU Justin King has outstanding size and speed, but he's been buried under Joe Pa's blundering the last few years. I'm betting the kid is a much better corner than Joe Pa's soft zone defense has allowed him to be. He might be a steal.

And he is not alone. I bet the Pats come away with 2 DB's in the middle rounds. That is why I can't see drafting a DB with #7 (assuming they stick there).

Have you actually seen Chris Long play? What makes you think he has the skills to be a LB? He was a productive DE in a watered-down ACC. No coverage skills and poor pursuit speed. He has good strength but is primarily an effort and high-motor guy...which is like someone telling you your blind date has a good personality.

You mean besides Al Groh and his FATHER Howie Long saying he'd be better playing as an OLB for a 3-4? I guess those two guys shouldnt count. Most draft experts agree that he can be productive in either situation.

His postives are ridiculous.

- Great Awareness
- Hard Worker off the field
- Team Leader
- HE IS great in pursuit
- Uses his hands well
- Does a great job of using leverage

On top of that he was the only real big talent on his team last season and he still put up 79 tackles, 19 for a loss with 14 sacks.

Thats better than you could say about Gholston.

I personally dont like Matt Ryan. In all honesty, in all the games ive seen him in, he kinda stinks *shrug*

um, sign Adrian Peterson? >_> lol THAT aint gonna happen

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes