PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Pats want for Mallet according to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well two years ago, BB obviously saw enough to allow Mallett to leapfrog Hoyer in reps, and last year to allow Mallett to be the only backup.

BB may take gambles, but I think he takes calculated gambles.

When you've got an elite QB as your starter, you're not going to be getting anything near that from any backup. When you're dealing with guys like Brady and Manning, who've both basically had only one injury keep them off the field in each of their long careers, it's often going to be a gamble worth taking if you need the money for something else.

Yes, a maximum of a 3rd. However, if Mallett is worth anywhere what folks think, his contract will make him worth a 3rd. Obviously, he could be worth lots less.

As I believe I've pointed out in this thread (twice!), it's a maximum of a third, not a minimum, it's not a given the Pats will get one, and it'd be in 2016.

Preseason and practice is very misleading.

Matt Cassel –
2008 – 34 attempts, 19 completions, 55.9% completions, 165 yards, 0 touchdowns, 1 interception, 4 sacks, 56.6 rating
2007 – 40 attempts, 23 completions, 57.5% completions, 230 yards, 0 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 3 sacks, 53.1 rating

Keep in mind that when Mallett is practicing or on the field, he is out there with second and third string players along the OL and at the skill positions. Look at Brady’s numbers last season when he was not targeting a #1 option.
- Throwing to Gronkowski, Edelman, Amendola, and Vereen – 370 attempts, 245 completions, 66.2% completions, 2708 yards, 15 touchdowns
- Others – 258 attempts, 135 completions, 52.3% completions 1635 yards, 10 touchdowns

Do you really want to assess Mallett based on how he played with Sudfeld, Ballard, Sims, and the other roster cuts that he took the field with?

Excellent post.
DW Toys

Actually, that's a pretty awesome idea. It would be worth it moving up to the top of the 2nd and 3rd. Plus we could always trade back to get additional picks later.

Cousins,
Please riddle me. It's always pick this, pick that be it Second, Third etc. Picks are big gambles. Shall we review some Patriots Second or Third round doozies?

Why not consider Mallett in a trade scenario? The Blount deal was actually a "Trade". Here is a list of Trades for QB needy Teams. I would ask for your consideration:

Jags=Mallett for Jags WR Justin Blackmon. All the talent with an alcohol problem. If he can get straight he is only 24. I would suspect the Jags need a QB

Browns= Mallett for up and coming TE Jordon Cameron

Raiders=Mallett for perhaps the most under rated Center in the NFL. C Stefen Wisniewski. He can play Guard as well.

Vikings=Mallett for Harrison Smith SS. The Pats could have gotten him in the Draft. Nor elite, but young and a great pairing with McCourty.

Houston= I didn't want to discuss "picks" but would have to include picks and O'Brien knows Mallett, not these other QB Hopefuls in the Draft. I want Andre Johnson in a package. We would probably have to throw in a WR. Thompkins? The Texans also need a Safety and maybe we can package Tavon Wilson? He is not working here.

Just for fun Cousins...please

DW Toys

Jags=Mallett for Jags WR Justin Blackmon. All the talent with an alcohol problem. If he can get straight he is only 24. I would suspect the Jags need a QB

Seriously? You'd trade Mallet(3rd round pick) for a guy that's just one suspension away from being banned to the point no team will take a chance on him even if he gets reinstated into the league again?!?!? He's only worth a 7th round pick now...

When you've got an elite QB as your starter, you're not going to be getting anything near that from any backup. When you're dealing with guys like Brady and Manning, who've both basically had only one injury keep them off the field in each of their long careers, it's often going to be a gamble worth taking if you need the money for something else.

And given Brady's durability and performance, an intelligent coach can use the backup positions as possible developmental positions to enhance the roster in the future, whether as a player or as trade bait.

I have no doubt BB cares about who is there to backup possibly the GOAT at QB if necessary, but he also keeps his eyes to the future and what individual players may represent. He also plays probabilities, and Brady tends to stay on the field so the next guy in the depth chart is not as important. How many teams (with stable rosters) burn through 2 QBs and need a third?

I don't see the Pats looking to deal Mallett, absent the addition of Cassel in the offseason. I suspect Mallett is worth more to the team than he is to other teams right now. I believe your idea for exchanging positions would be enticing, but I believe it would take a 2nd round pick or higher (a player that could statisically help playoff chances now rather than later) for him to move and I just cannot envision any takers for that realistically. Draft picks are simply worth more with the new rookie contract controls.

Cousins,
Please riddle me. It's always pick this, pick that be it Second, Third etc. Picks are big gambles. Shall we review some Patriots Second or Third round doozies?

Why not consider Mallett in a trade scenario? The Blount deal was actually a "Trade". Here is a list of Trades for QB needy Teams. I would ask for your consideration:

Browns= Mallett for up and coming TE Jordon Cameron

Raiders=Mallett for perhaps the most under rated Center in the NFL. C Stefen Wisniewski. He can play Guard as well.

Vikings=Mallett for Harrison Smith SS. The Pats could have gotten him in the Draft. Nor elite, but young and a great pairing with McCourty.

Houston= I didn't want to discuss "picks" but would have to include picks and O'Brien knows Mallett, not these other QB Hopefuls in the Draft. I want Andre Johnson in a package. We would probably have to throw in a WR. Thompkins? The Texans also need a Safety and maybe we can package Tavon Wilson? He is not working here.

Just for fun Cousins...please

DW Toys

I would be elated if any of those trades were to occur, but I don't think they are particularly realistic. I just don't believe Mallett is going to fetch that much in return in a trade; getting Jordon Cameron or Stefen Wisniewski or Harrison Smith in exchange for Mallett seems like a lopsided steal to me.

Seriously? You'd trade Mallet(3rd round pick) for a guy that's just one suspension away from being banned to the point no team will take a chance on him even if he gets reinstated into the league again?!?!? He's only worth a 7th round pick now...

Try to get him for a 7th. And yes I would.He is better than anyone of our present core by a long stretch. Are you kidding me?
Wasn't Mallet kind of accused of the same deal and was straight here?
DW Toys

Try to get him for a 7th. And yes I would.He is better than anyone of our present core by a long stretch. Are you kidding me?
Wasn't Mallet kind of accused of the same deal and was straight here?
DW Toys

I'm not sure you're aware of this or not, but Justin Blackmon was suspended for the rest of the 2013 season. He has to apply for reinstatement into the league. If he violates substance-abuse policy again he'll be suspended for the entire season again, no matter if it's week 1 or week 17. And he'll have to apply to be reinstated, again. Would Goodell even let him back in? Trading Blackmon for Mallet is way too risky. Don't matter how good Blackmon is. Mallet is not in the same boat here no matter what he did in the past, it's about what he's done during the NFL. Which is nothing, unless I'm mistaken?

I'd go for him if he was a free agent, or if we could trade for him with a 7th and that's if the Patriots can renegotiate his rookie contract and put in some clauses if he violates the substance-abuse policy again.

I'm not sure you're aware of this or not, but Justin Blackmon was suspended for the rest of the 2013 season. He has to apply for reinstatement into the league. If he violates substance-abuse policy again he'll be suspended for the entire season again, no matter if it's week 1 or week 17. And he'll have to apply to be reinstated, again. Would Goodell even let him back in? Trading Blackmon for Mallet is way too risky. Don't matter how good Blackmon is. Mallet is not in the same boat here no matter what he did in the past, it's about what he's done during the NFL. Which is nothing, unless I'm mistaken?

I'd go for him if he was a free agent, or if we could trade for him with a 7th and that's if the Patriots can renegotiate his rookie contract and put in some clauses if he violates the substance-abuse policy again.

There's no need to renegotiate his contract.

We just need Kontra to spend a month following him around on weekends to see if he's drinking again. If Kontra gives him a clean bill of health, getting Blackmon for Mallett would be a case of the Patriots committing highway robbery.

WHAT DO THE PATS WANT FOR MALLETT?

for Mallett to be our 2014 backup quarterback for under $1M compensation.

Mallett can go after this season and find a fit somewhere. The patriots will get a compensatory pick depending on how large a free contract Mallett signs.

I don't see Belichick going into the season without a backup quarterback that has been in the system.
========

BTW, if there is no problem finding a player as good as Mallett for under $1M, then perhaps other teams can sign these mythical players instead of sending a top pick to the patriots.

Agreed. I really think people need to realize that no would even offer a day 2 pick for Mallett right now.

Wonderful !!! BB wouldn't take less than an early 2nd plus... So crazy draftniks can't draft their mythical Okeefenokee U phenom.

He knew that Mallett wasn't ready, because essentially everyone knew Mallett wasn't ready. That was painfully obvious to those of us who watched him in practices and exhibition games. He still cut Hoyer. He gambled on Brady's health, knowing that losing Brady means losing the season anyway.

This is assinine. You want people to believe that, in order to support your stubborn inability to admit you are wrong, that Bill Belichick kept only a QB who wasn't ready to play, because if Brady gets hurt the season is over, a couple years after Brady got hurt in the first quarter of the first game and the team won 11 games? What if Brady got hurt in week 13 when the team was 9-3 with a 1 game division lead? Season lost huh?
Lets not forget, that happened to be a SB team. I'm sure BB figured if Brady was injured at half time of the SB it didn't matter who the backup was because the season was lost.:rolleyes:
You will go to no length of disingenuous blabbering to not admit you are wrong.

Wonderful !!! BB wouldn't take less than an early 2nd plus... So crazy draftniks can't draft their mythical Okeefenokee U phenom.

This guys a declared underclassman. Could be worth a late round flyer.

Attachments

• tech sucks.jpg
    tech sucks.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 67
  • oke football.jpg
    oke football.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 67
This has been known for about 3 years. And it basically just says that the Pats have 0 interest in trading Mallet because Al Davis wouldn't even give up a 2nd round pick for him.

If anything, Mallet's value has decreased since joining New England. He has never looked good when on the field. His only accomplishment in the NFL is throwing the pass that helped break the tight end yardage record.

The Mallet zealots are absolutely nuts in thinking things like "Houston will draft Clowney #1 and trade #33 for Mallet!!!"

That's absolute nonsense for starters. He's shown a lot of promise.

On a team which has had a lot of success with their backups recently, I'll settle for BB's judgement in making him our ONLY backup.

We won't accept anything less than such a high pick because he's our guy if Brady goes down. They simply don't want to get rid of him unless a team is stupid enough to give us a pick in which we can then focus on getting a fresh one in.

Most considered Mallett a great value pick at #74 in 2011...

young-frankenstein.gif

IMO, Belichick might regret not being able to play Mallett as much as perhaps he should have, but I don't think he regrets drafting him in the first place.

For all we know, the Patriots' plan might have been to just keep him for four years and then let him walk unless they were blown away by an offer. As a point of comparison:

Kyle Orton, 2012-2014: $10.5M
Ryan Mallett, 2012-2014: $1.9M

Yeah, an early 3rd Rounder on a back up QuarterBack who sucks. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

And I have no idea why you rolled out that comparison. :confused:

Who gives a **** what some Idiot payed Kyle ****ing Orton??? :rolleyes:

Yeah, an early 3rd Rounder on a back up QuarterBack who sucks. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

:

Grid, you really think Belichick would have kept Mallett as Brady's sole back-up the last couple of years if he "sucked?"

Mallett can go after this season and find a fit somewhere. The patriots will get a compensatory pick depending on how large a free contract Mallett signs.

Not will. Might.

And I have no idea why you rolled out that comparison. :confused:

Who gives a **** what some Idiot payed Kyle ****ing Orton??? :rolleyes:

Grid, I know you don't like Mallett.

But, for whatever reason, Belichick has had enough trust in Mallett that he has brought in no serious competition (no, Tebow doesn't count).

And the point in my comparison is that there are teams that are spending $4M a year on the backup QB position, while the Patriots have been spending about $1M a year over the last seven years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back