PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Pats want for Mallet according to

Status
Not open for further replies.
But has that ever happened in the BB era? Brady and just one backup with zero experience in the system?

When BB drafts or signs an unknown QB, it's a 3rd string move.

Hoyer, in 2009.

You forget, though, that BB cut the more dependable Hoyer in favor of Mallett. That alone speaks volume as far as what BB thinks of Mallett. Hoyer as we know has shown that he is very capable of quarterbacking at the NFL level.

That speaks volumes about whatever we want to claim it speaks. I'd say that it speaks volumes about what BB was willing to pay Hoyer, and how willing he was to cut a player who he'd rfa tendered. Rumor after the cut was that BB thought Hoyer had plateaued and he didn't want to drop that cash on a player that he felt wasn't improving.

Hoyer, in 2009.

I'm inclined to think that was because of a perfect combination of external factors- Cassell's value skyrocketing to the point where we couldn't afford not to franchise him (and subsequently trading him) and KOC turning out to be a complete tank because he phoned it in during his stay here.

That speaks volumes about whatever we want to claim it speaks. I'd say that it speaks volumes about what BB was willing to pay Hoyer, and how willing he was to cut a player who he'd rfa tendered. Rumor after the cut was that BB thought Hoyer had plateaued and he didn't want to drop that cash on a player that he felt wasn't improving.

He wouldn't have cut a RFA-tendered player if he didn't feel he had an alternative. Dependable is still dependable even if he had plateaued.

He wouldn't have cut a RFA-tendered player if he didn't feel he had an alternative.

He knew that Mallett wasn't ready, because essentially everyone knew Mallett wasn't ready. That was painfully obvious to those of us who watched him in practices and exhibition games. He still cut Hoyer. He gambled on Brady's health, knowing that losing Brady means losing the season anyway.

If we get a 2nd I'll be ecstatic

This draft is so deep according to many GM, experts that I'll gladly take a high-mid 3rd for him. A 2nd round pick in this draft is delusional.

He knew that Mallett wasn't ready, because essentially everyone knew Mallett wasn't ready. That was painfully obvious to those of us who watched him in practices and exhibition games. He still cut Hoyer. He gambled on Brady's health, knowing that losing Brady means losing the season anyway.

That is incorrect.

Mallett was already taking the #2 reps prior to preseason, two years ago. If he wasn't ready, he wouldn't be taking reps at #2 in TC and preseason.

That would have made Hoyer #3, and at the RFA tendered 1.9m, that is way overvalued, so he was cut.

So both the Patriots and Redskins aren't telling teams 2 1/2 months before the draft they will accept very little for their back-up QBs? They have started by asking for top value?

This is shocking. :rolleyes:

It is meaningless at this point. It could be a negotiation starter for a player they intend to try and deal or it could be a sign that both are content to hold onto their back-up QBs unless someone is willing to overpay for them. And no one outside the organizations knows at this point.

Frankly, aside from the typical Draftnik clowns, I see no indication that BB has him on the market at all, Regarding the frustrated would- be GMs, they would gladly trade Brady for a 7th so they could draft Joe Dokes from Okeefenokee U and their 'Discovery'. The are certain he will be an unheralded Super duper Star. Dokes at 5'5" 152 # makes up for his dimunitive size by being slow, running 5.7 40 as a KR.

Belichick will get a minimum of a comp three for him after a year more of cheap experienced backup QB, if someone else signs him. Plus TFB may retire, and Mallett may stay to get his chance.

In the event that TFB goes down, Mallett could probably guide the Pats to a double digit winnng season, just like Cassell did, after 3 years of learning, but not playing,

Mallett is cheap to keep, physically more talented than anyone they could bring in without drafting him high. Why would BB change without 'an offer you can't refuse'?

Belichick will get a minimum of a comp three for him after a year more of cheap experienced backup QB, if someone else signs him.

Please explain how. Mallett is going to be an UFA after this season.

Preseason and practice is very misleading.

Matt Cassel –
2008 – 34 attempts, 19 completions, 55.9% completions, 165 yards, 0 touchdowns, 1 interception, 4 sacks, 56.6 rating
2007 – 40 attempts, 23 completions, 57.5% completions, 230 yards, 0 touchdowns, 2 interceptions, 3 sacks, 53.1 rating

Keep in mind that when Mallett is practicing or on the field, he is out there with second and third string players along the OL and at the skill positions. Look at Brady’s numbers last season when he was not targeting a #1 option.
- Throwing to Gronkowski, Edelman, Amendola, and Vereen – 370 attempts, 245 completions, 66.2% completions, 2708 yards, 15 touchdowns
- Others – 258 attempts, 135 completions, 52.3% completions 1635 yards, 10 touchdowns

Do you really want to assess Mallett based on how he played with Sudfeld, Ballard, Sims, and the other roster cuts that he took the field with?

The only thing painfully obvious is the utter worthlessness of your player evaluations. Your suggestion that Belichick decided to roll the dice by keeping Mallett as the sole backup while having no confidence in him is laughable.

Belichick will get a minimum of a comp three for him after a year more of cheap experienced backup QB, if someone else signs him. Plus TFB may retire, and Mallett may stay to get his chance.

As I believe I've pointed out in this thread (twice!), it's a maximum of a third, not a minimum, it's not a given the Pats will get one, and it'd be in 2016.

The only thing painfully obvious is the utter worthlessness of your player evaluations. Your suggestion that Belichick decided to roll the dice by keeping Mallett as the sole backup while having no confidence in him is laughable.

Agreed. Although the first part of your comment is a tad harsh, Belichick is way to calculated to "gamble" on Brady's health, especially having already lost him once for a full season. Cassel isn't a lights out superstar but is a solid QB. He has to feel the same about Mallet. He doesn't hide scrubs on the game day 46. It's a next man up system.

What's laughable is your post, but thanks. Mallett wasn't ready. That was obvious. BB knew that. He saw him in the same practices and exhibitions that everyone else saw. He gambled on Brady's health and won.

Also, regarding my player evaluations, there's a pretty long track record of them here. Feel free to hunt down the full list and get back to us. :thumb:

Agreed. Although the first part of your comment is a tad harsh, Belichick is way to calculated to "gamble" on Brady's health, especially having already lost him once for a full season. Cassel isn't a lights out superstar but is a solid QB. He has to feel the same about Mallet. He doesn't hide scrubs on the game day 46. It's a next man up system.

Interesting that you bring up Cassel in response to a post criticizing my take on Mallett, because I was one of the very few Cassel defenders on this board when everyone else was talking about him getting cut. I was also one of the first, and most consistent, critics of O'Connell after he was drafted.

Regardless of whether or not I'm correct on Mallett, Letekro's shot at me over player evaluation was brainless.

What's laughable is your post, but thanks. Mallett wasn't ready. That was obvious. BB knew that. He saw him in the same practices and exhibitions that everyone else saw. He gambled on Brady's health and won.

Well two years ago, BB obviously saw enough to allow Mallett to leapfrog Hoyer in reps, and last year to allow Mallett to be the only backup.

BB may take gambles, but I think he takes calculated gambles.

BB may take gambles, but I think he takes calculated gambles.

I think that is a very true statement.

My only point was that I feel there is more to it than just his evaluation of Ryan Mallett after one year, that's all.

Here's a scenario, assuming BOB likes Mallett enough to offer value:

• Texans want Clowney but decide that they can't go into 2014 with their current QB roster
  • Texans offer to swap positions in round 2 and 3 in exchange for Mallett (The trade chart equivalent of trading pick #47 to the Patriots)
  • Texans get Clowney and Mallett, and keep all their picks, while the Patriots move up into position to get both the TE and DL in the top 33, and they'd be in great position to grab an interio OL at the top of round 3
  • Texans get one year tryout with Mallett and can sell their fans on having the ability to draft a QB in a better year for them (2015), if needed

Ecstatic is the word that would come to mind for me as a Patriots fan, and it doesn't screw over the Texans in the deal.

Actually, that's a pretty awesome idea. It would be worth it moving up to the top of the 2nd and 3rd. Plus we could always trade back to get additional picks later.

Actually, that's a pretty awesome idea. It would be worth it moving up to the top of the 2nd and 3rd. Plus we could always trade back to get additional picks later.

It's really one of the only scenarios that I've seen proposed that makes sense for both sides in terms of not having to give up a high pick + sign Mallett to a new deal (blindfolded) in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST