PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What is Seymour's future with the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have absolutely no sentimental values regarding players. I'm a hard core what-have-you-done-for-me-lately fan. The problem with evaluating Seymour (other then the # of downs played) is that the vast majority of fans do not know how valuable he is. There were posts during the season complaining about his lack of stats (tackles, sacks, pressures, deflected passes, etc, etc.) with some wanting to trade/cut him. All I know is, when BB states he had a dominant game (yet he had no stats to show for it) I'm with the program.
This guy has got to be the hardest player on the team to evaluate, unless your an X and O guy that attends games. The average fan is lost in trying to justify his status. Thus, I'll read the posts, but I'm not going to be swayed one way or another.

That's because the average fan doesn't know jack about Belichick's defensive plan.

I am surprised no one has floated the Assante scenario, which I see as the most likely. Seymour will likely position himself to get renogotiated this offseason or threaten a half season no show situation unless he is guaranteed that no franchise tag will be used after 2009.

I am surprised no one has floated the Assante scenario, which I see as the most likely. Seymour will likely position himself to get renogotiated this offseason or threaten a half season no show situation unless he is guaranteed that no franchise tag will be used after 2009.

I don't really see the situations as similar.

Samuel was a free agent (faced no fines) who was franchised and was coming off his best season capped by 2 pick 6s in the playoffs. He was worried about protecting a huge free agent contract.

Seymour is under contract (which means he will be fined), coming off 3 years where he has been hurt and has not played at an all pro level. He really needs to show he can stay healthy and play well in order to get a huge free agent contract.

Samuel was a free agent (faced no fines) who was franchised and was coming off his best season capped by 2 pick 6s in the playoffs. He was worried about protecting a huge free agent contract.

Seymour is under contract (which means he will be fined), coming off 3 years where he has been hurt and has not played at an all pro level. He really needs to show he can stay healthy and play well in order to get a huge free agent contract.

The last time Seymour was in the last year of his contract, he held out

until the Patriots gave him a salary adjustment. He reported part way

thru training camp after receiving a million or two adjustment. He

later re-signed a three year extension.

seymour is still the best 3-4 DE in the NFL.........the pats must try to extend him

considering jarvis green as any kind of replacement is ludicrous

seymour is still the best 3-4 DE in the NFL.........the pats must try to extend him

He's not awesome... he's just adequate.

Id take Seymour over any 34 de in the nfl.

Just checked the CBA, and the fines are steeper than I thought, including losing game checks for missing preseason games. $14k per missed practice.

He's not awesome... he's just adequate.

everyone's entitled to their opinion, but there are many out there who fail to understand what seymour means to this defense

the first place to save $$ is to dump jarvis green and the 2M of roster bonus he is supposed to get.......

The last time Seymour was in the last year of his contract, he held out until the Patriots gave him a salary adjustment. He reported part way thru training camp after receiving a million or two adjustment. He later re-signed a three year extension.

That is incorrect. The last time Seymour had 1 year remaining on his contract he signed an extension in April.

His 4 day holdout had been the previous year when he was coming off 2 straight all pro seasons and had 2 years left on his rookie deal which he felt he had outperformed and wanted redone.

He is not in nearly the same situation now either from a bargaining standoint (he has not been an all pro in 3 years) or from business standpoint where he has been very well paid on this contract and is going to be well paid again in 2009 under the current deal.

I would be surprised if he holds out.

The Patriots should cut Seymour IMO ... he's had a great career but he's a 2 down DE in our system. Kind of hard to cut a guy who was here for 3 rings but business is business. I'd rather see Jarvis Greene resigned for 3 years and use the savings elsewhere. Belichick will be grabbing a DT/DE type in one of the 1st 3 rounds this year IMO.

2 Downs, at DE, and then nickel on the nose, versitile, just pray for an unncapped year in 2010......

What a joke. He had a fine season after surgery and even got 8 sacks to make up for no outside linebacker rush.

So you clowns can't wait to get rid of him. Fortunately, I'm sure none of you are named Belichick or Pioli.

Do you think BB would have spent 3 1sts on DL if top 3-4 Linemen were easy to find?

Thanks for the laugh.

What a joke. He had a fine season after surgery and even got 8 sacks to make up for no outside linebacker rush.

So you clowns can't wait to get rid of him. Fortunately, I'm sure none of you are named Belichick or Pioli.

Do you think BB would have spent 3 1sts on DL if top 3-4 Linemen were easy to find?

Thanks for the laugh.

Who said they can't wait for him to leave? This thread is speculation. Nothing more, nothing less. After watching BB let his veterans leave before, it wouldn't suprise me if Seymour is not resigned. I hope he is, but I will not be shocked if he isn't.

Who said they can't wait for him to leave? This thread is speculation. Nothing more, nothing less. After watching BB let his veterans leave before, it wouldn't suprise me if Seymour is not resigned. I hope he is, but I will not be shocked if he isn't.

just wondering which veterans you are talking about who have left when referencing seymour........

I don't know, who said this and who agreed with him?

The Patriots should cut Seymour IMO ...

I pretty much agree with this

Junior GMs. lol

It's his contract year, let's see how he does auditioning to the entire NFL for his last big paycheck.

lol

i dont know how much double teaming was going on Sey during the champ. seasons, i remember quite a bit

now sey is not really double teamed, as far as i can see, and ppl just saying that really need to stop

wilfork takes up two players, and sey usually ahs only the LT to worry about, b/c an OLB takes the TE if he is there, and the LG usually spilts between wilfork and sey...

Sey does get double teamed, but not anywhere near often

please stop now before you embarrass yourself further. do you understand football or actually watch anything other than the QB on television

Seymour is our best D lineman, and makes everyone better.. just letting him go is a big mistake, can never understand this conversation, particularly after one of his greatest seasons..

The whole problem that keeps reemerging is that we do not know his specific game time assignment, and in a d that gameplans specific for each game we are still enamored with statistics.. instead of game results. Time and time again Seymour has been hammered regarding his play, only to hear BB say something to the effect that Seymour had one of his best games..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back