PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What If Bill Belichick Was A Free Agent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the exact particulars of the Kraft's group ownership of the Patriots (complete 100%?), however, I'd wish that a tiny piece of the pie could be afforded BB. Keeping his name as a part of the Patriots organization for many years to come is fitting to the utmost. For every hater out there, for every media mutt face, for every year Roger or his infestation of underling lice is around, and for everyone who believes in the sport of football, BB should be synonymous with Patriots.

Side note: Just as with Brady I pray the game doesn't need to pass him by before he retires. Make no mistake, just like with brady, health, desire, and/or the game will pass him by one day. Fortunately I think he's got years of desire to coach left in him, no word on any health issues (most fortunately), and he still passes the game by (not the other way around). And as long as all those things are there I don't ever want to even hear a joke of BB working for another team (so many teams would KILL to get BB as their football operation god).
Does anyone know what's the age of BB's oldest son, is he fully football involved, and if he has ever spoken at a presser was he terse and monotone? Just thinkin of the future....:)

I read the article below and saved it because one of the quotes from Kraft planted the seed for a theory in my mind.

"Kraft never answered my question about a disagreeable ending between the team and Brady, except to say something about the two of them working together to restructure the quarterback’s contract, which was far more complicated than people realized. “With all due respect to the media, they don’t know what’s really going on,” Kraft told me. “No one would believe what’s really going on.”"

Tom Brady Cannot Stop

What I think Kraft was referring to is that at some point the Krafts, Belichicks and Brady all sat down and agreed to form a succession plan. I believe it will include Brady & Belichick both completing their careers with the Patriots and at some point getting a percentage of the ownership. Belichick's son will be groomed and he will take over when he is ready. Brady's angle will be the integration of the whole athletic performance industry that he seems so interested in.

They are forming a lasting dynasty.

I read the article below and saved it because one of the quotes from Kraft planted the seed for a theory in my mind.

"Kraft never answered my question about a disagreeable ending between the team and Brady, except to say something about the two of them working together to restructure the quarterback’s contract, which was far more complicated than people realized. “With all due respect to the media, they don’t know what’s really going on,” Kraft told me. “No one would believe what’s really going on.”"

Tom Brady Cannot Stop

What I think Kraft was referring to is that at some point the Krafts, Belichicks and Brady all sat down and agreed to form a succession plan. I believe it will include Brady & Belichick both completing their careers with the Patriots and at some point getting a percentage of the ownership. Belichick's son will be groomed and he will take over when he is ready. Brady's angle will be the integration of the whole athletic performance industry that he seems so interested in.

They are forming a lasting dynasty.

While certainly an interesting theory, I think we'd all be kind of pissed if Stephen Belichick were given a head coaching opportunity here without taking the time to move up the ranks first.

Defensive coordinator? Sure, maybe at some point, but head coach? That sounds absurd to me, unless we're looking at 10 years down the road with high success at some other positions.

Either way, here's hoping for 5 plus more years of Belichick/Brady.

I think BB is worth the value of a top tier QB. Would you take Joe Flacco or Bill Belichick? Exactly.

During the period between week one and the home opener in week two vs. SD (2007), details were leaked, and I believe there was some talk of timeline and salary. Since then, details have been few and far between, with the only reports stating that "he will be here for awhile longer." Belichick could be making 10m dollars a year for all we know.

Last edited:
I took it from Forbes. I agree- its not publicly disclosed.

Sorry to speak of your post and then quote it afterwards, but I went backwards in the thread.

Having quoted Forbes, was there any mention of a timeline or contract length? I was under the impression that the 7.5m dollar salary was from at least 7-8 years ago, meaning that it's almost certain that 3 more SB appearances have raised his annual take.

I'm pretty sure the 2007 season was the last time specific details were leaked, which at the time made him the highest paid HC in the game, but I could be wrong.

Pretty confident is the highest paid coach in the NFL and Mr. Kraft knows what he has got.. BB has brought him and his family a whole lot of wealth.

If he was a free agent, pretty confident it would look like a Herschel Walker type trade.. where any team would mortgage the future to get him in as their leader...

BB is one of those guys that many fans from other teams love to hate, unless he was coaching their team..

In every coaching vacancy, the owner hopes to find the next BB..

Yeah, he's not going anywhere.

But what a way for him to get some revenge on his way out. When he's ready to retire:
1. Ask for his release from his Patriots contract. Kraft agrees.
2. His agent puts out an RFP for a five year contract. Sealed bids. One month to respond.
3. Four weeks of escalating frenzy, with all kinds of leaks and speculation about who is bidding what.
4. At the end of the four weeks, he announces that he's changed his mind, and is retiring after all.
5. The bids are "leaked", making transparent all the backdoor dealing by teams that already have coaches and GM's. Every owner who is a scumbag and bids while still having personnel in place is shown to be who they are...which will be a lot of them.
6. The leak is done through ESPN, forever harming its relationship with every NFL team that is connected to the bidding.

Anyway, that's what my devious, evil mind can come up with a few minutes to work with.

no one with any integrity or sense of personal ethics would ever do something like this... especially someone who loves professional football - with all its warts - and is very concerned with his legacy.

If Belichick were available, the owners should make him Commissioner of the NFL. The pay is right. He could handle the owners. The coaches and players would fall in line.

Belichick would create a fair and transparent disciplinary process. He would do whatever is possible to protect the players from head injuries. He'd force the owners to fairly fund the veteran health and retirement programs.

Of course, the NFL would have to do some serious realignment without franchises in Baltimore, Indianapolis, and Florham Park, NJ. But that's a small price to pay.

If BB is a free agent, I might probably stop watching the NFL.

would that mean I wouldn't have to watch your infamous sigs? :D

What a great idea for a thread.

How many years after he retires will we hear rumors that such and such a team is talking to BB?

Sorry to speak of your post and then quote it afterwards, but I went backwards in the thread.

Having quoted Forbes, was there any mention of a timeline or contract length? I was under the impression that the 7.5m dollar salary was from at least 7-8 years ago, meaning that it's almost certain that 3 more SB appearances have raised his annual take.

I'm pretty sure the 2007 season was the last time specific details were leaked, which at the time made him the highest paid HC in the game, but I could be wrong.
Nothing about length. Just said as of May 2013 he was pulling in 7.5m.

He could have received a raise since then. No question he has earned it.

I don't know the exact particulars of the Kraft's group ownership of the Patriots (complete 100%?), however, I'd wish that a tiny piece of the pie could be afforded BB. Keeping his name as a part of the Patriots organization for many years to come is fitting to the utmost. For every hater out there, for every media mutt face, for every year Roger or his infestation of underling lice is around, and for everyone who believes in the sport of football, BB should be synonymous with Patriots.

Side note: Just as with Brady I pray the game doesn't need to pass him by before he retires. Make no mistake, just like with brady, health, desire, and/or the game will pass him by one day. Fortunately I think he's got years of desire to coach left in him, no word on any health issues (most fortunately), and he still passes the game by (not the other way around). And as long as all those things are there I don't ever want to even hear a joke of BB working for another team (so many teams would KILL to get BB as their football operation god).
Does anyone know what's the age of BB's oldest son, is he fully football involved, and if he has ever spoken at a presser was he terse and monotone? Just thinkin of the future....:)
I wonder if they did give BB a slice of the team?

Interesting topic. Here's a thought--taking his age into account, is he the most valuable individual in the NFL? Meaning, if all players, owners, GMs, etc. are available, do you draft him first?

Feels like a slam dunk yes to me...
That is VERY interesting indeed! And I think I'm with you on that too, my answer would probably be a big yes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore