PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you think of these Patriots helmets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red = losing tradition. It also doesn't fit a team named "Patriots" who fought a war against invaders in red uniforms. Orthwein did the franchise a favor switching to blue.

I agree. Blue = winning, Red = losing, regarding the Pats. White's neutral-ish, but much more boring than silver (in terms of helmets.) Pat Patriot was static and cartoonish; the flying elvis has motion. You can see in how many teams adopted that shape that it's kinetic and fan-friendly (e.g., the Panthers, the Jags, the Broncos to an extent; the cyberhorse faces in the direction the team wants the ball to go and suggests motion in that direction.)

No. Current unis look great and they are part of a winning tradition.

Dont.
Change.
Anything.

Not good. What's wrong with the current helmets?

Add me to the group that loves the original helmet. The white with the flying elvis, with the red shirt and white pants

American soldiers wore whatever color they could get their hands on. Hell, some wore red. Some wore white. Some even wore purple. British soldiers also wore blue.

The American flag colors are given as 'red, white and blue'. The British flag has more blue in it than the American.

Just points of reference. Say you like them because they were worn by the best Patriots teams, but not because of historical fiction.

I like the first one, but I'd still rather just do throwbacks.

red is an awful color-period.

Yeah, the late 80's/early 90's helmets were my fave of all the slight changes they made to the Pat Patriot white ones.
What were the changes?
1. Middle blue stripe is added between the two reds in 1965.
2. The Pat Patriot logo on each side is enlarged sometime around 1980.
3. Three different facemask colors were used. Grey up through around 1980. White in early 80's & the '85 Super Bowl, then switch to red in late 80's for the last 3 or 4 seasons or so, before the big overhaul in '93.

Then there's the whole location of the jersey shoulder stripes thing and outlining of the numbers, which is really extensive to document.
And there's the red pants away look too, which I totally loved.

Bottom line, the Pat Patriots unis were considered the 2nd best in the league behind the Chargers' powder blues back in the day. That's why people around the league rave about them whenever they're broken out of mothballs these days. I mean, when they isolate Wilfork wearing it, his big red 75 jersey just POPS off the television screen at you.
Present era Pats unis aren't really regarded that high on the current "who's got the best uniforms" discussions.
All in all, The New England Patriots uniforms of the 60's thru early 90's drew more attention to the team. They were unique and they were drop dead gorgeous.
People will say they weren't that good back then. I say what does that have to do with the uniform? The uniform was visually fantastic.

Sure they lost their fair share games.

Yeah, but they looked damned good doing it. Damned good.

Man, I can't believe how so many people hate pat the patriot. I love the throwbacks. And financially, it makes more sense for the krafts to advertise pat the patriot gear by having them wear throwbacks once a year. Personally, I think they should do 2 games with one of them being on the road in the white on whites.

No. Current unis look great and they are part of a winning tradition.

Dont.
Change.
Anything.

I dont think anyone is advocating changing the surrent unis, certainly not me, I think they're fantastic, I'd just like to update throwbacks.

It would be cool if Nike could come out with pro combat uniforms for the NFL, one game a year wearing throwbacks one with the pro combats

If we're in full on Wish Mode for uniforms, I want an Oregon-style Chrome Helmet.

If we're in full on Wish Mode for uniforms, I want an Oregon-style Chrome Helmet.

I'm intrigued, if we were to go that route we'd need to go back to having silver in the uni as opposed to the grey tone they went to with the new Nike unis.

I honestly don't get these red = losing arguments. Yeah, they lost in them back in the day. If you put Tom and the team in them right now and start truckin', you know what happens? Red = winning. It wasn't the uniforms that made those teams suck. I never watched a game back in the day and thought, "garbage! we'd have won with different uniforms!"

I'd rather make some new memories in those colors then revel in misery over past defeats. They LOOK better. That's all that should matter in a uniform discussion.

I'd rather make some new memories in those colors then revel in misery over past defeats. They LOOK better. That's all that should matter in a uniform discussion.

Blaming a lack of team success on unis is pathetic and weak minded.

Yeah, the late 80's/early 90's helmets were my fave of all the slight changes they made to the Pat Patriot white ones.
What were the changes?
1. Middle blue stripe is added between the two reds in 1965.
2. The Pat Patriot logo on each side is enlarged sometime around 1980.
3. Three different facemask colors were used. Grey up through around 1980. White in early 80's & the '85 Super Bowl, then switch to red in late 80's for the last 3 or 4 seasons or so, before the big overhaul in '93.

Then there's the whole location of the jersey shoulder stripes thing and outlining of the numbers, which is really extensive to document.
And there's the red pants away look too, which I totally loved.

Bottom line, the Pat Patriots unis were considered the 2nd best in the league behind the Chargers' powder blues back in the day. That's why people around the league rave about them whenever they're broken out of mothballs these days. I mean, when they isolate Wilfork wearing it, his big red 75 jersey just POPS off the television screen at you.
Present era Pats unis aren't really regarded that high on the current "who's got the best uniforms" discussions.
All in all, The New England Patriots uniforms of the 60's thru early 90's drew more attention to the team. They were unique and they were drop dead gorgeous.
People will say they weren't that good back then. I say what does that have to do with the uniform? The uniform was visually fantastic.

Sure they lost their fair share games.

Yeah, but they looked damned good doing it. Damned good.

Nice write-up.

The stripes on the shoulders changed too. In the 60's there was a white stripe in the middle of 2 blue strips. In the 80's the blue stripe was in the middle of 2 white stripes. Of course in the 70's the stripe was placed down at the bottom of the sleeve, but that really sukked and didn't last too long.

It's all just a matter of superstition regarding "winning" or "losing" colors. If Blue had been the color the Patriots wore throughout their perpetual streak of abominable performance, then I doubt anyone would want to return to it (assuming another color was worn since the beginning of the dynasty).

I, for one, like whatever color they're wearing as long as they are winning.

American soldiers wore whatever color they could get their hands on. Hell, some wore red. Some wore white. Some even wore purple. British soldiers also wore blue. Say you like them because they were worn by the best Patriots teams, but not because of historical fiction.

The "identifying" colors for the British army and Colonial army regulars were red and blue, respectively:

Attachments

• colonial soldier.jpg
    colonial soldier.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 86
  • British redcoats.jpg
    British redcoats.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 87
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye