PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What do you guys think of Maroney?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't you know that Yankees/Colts
was also a Celtic fan when Russell played and also rooted for the Canadians in hockey as well when they used to win all the time.

Maroney looks good to me.

patsfan13 said:
Maroney has broken a lot of tackle sonce he get going his only limitation currrently is hesitating waiting for the hole, against certain teams that doesn't work.
We know Dungy Manning and Polian wanted Maroney more than Addai, good choice on their part.

they both look like good RBs to me.
maroney runs back kickoffs. he catches the ball well. he's strong runner, breaks sloppy tackles. can be elusive, makes people miss. no attitude that we know of. no domestic violence issues, traffic stops, or incidents outside strip joints. should be a good cold-weather RB. those 8- and 10-yard runs suggest to me he's got a nose for the goal line. no fumbling problems (yet).
IMHO he dances around too much, looking for a big gain, instead of lowering the shoulder and taking the 3 or 4 yards right in front of him. i haven't paid him enough attention to know about the pass blocking.
looking at the above, i certainly think the kid is a good draft selection, FOR WHAT PATS DO.

Maroney looks like the more explosive back of the younguns. He can really break those long gainers. I just like the way he moves. He can also return kicks pretty darn well. For the 21st pick in the draft I think the Pats got a steal.

Brown and McGahee look like solid backs but not as explosive. McGahee doesn't seem to have the nose for the endzone this season I wonder what his problem is. He isn't scoring so much for me in my fantasy league. :( His one big shovel pass reception is the only thing that saved his game against the Pats last week.

Problem with Brown is he is in the Fins offense... LOL. Nuff said. That OL is terrible and your QBs don't scare me.

VJCPatriot said:
Maroney looks like the more explosive back of the younguns. He can really break those long gainers. I just like the way he moves. He can also return kicks pretty darn well. For the 21st pick in the draft I think the Pats got a steal.

Brown and McGahee look like solid backs but not as explosive. McGahee doesn't seem to have the nose for the endzone this season I wonder what his problem is. He isn't scoring so much for me in my fantasy league. :( His one big shovel pass reception is the only thing that saved his game against the Pats last week.

Problem with Brown is he is in the Fins offense... LOL. Nuff said. That OL is terrible and your QBs don't scare me.

Yep. But thats the only problem with him... :cool:

Didn't say he was bad. :) Just not as explosive as Maroney. I think if the Phins spend their 1st day picks on OL they should be better next year. Dunno what you're gonna do for QB though.

grahambo82 said:
Addai: 70 carries, 354 yards, 5.1 per carry, 1 score. 14 carries, 107 yards, 1 score. 84 touches, 461 yards, 5.49 per touch, 2 scores.

Maroney: 86 carries, 361 yards, 4.2 per carry, 3 scores. 7 catches, 77 yards no scores. 93 touches, 438 yards, 4.71 per touch, 3 scores. 12 kickoff returns, 335 yards, 27.9 per kick return.

Seems pretty even to me. I haven't watched Addai play much, so I can't comment on whether or not I think he's better than Maroney.

If you consider that 3 of their wins were against the three of the four worst D's in the league, 5/6 against D's that rank 21st or lower, I think that it gives the edge completely to Maroney.

Come back after the Denver, NE, and Buffalo games, and then let us see what what Addai's yards per carry are.

There is no doubt that Maroney is the better back - and Maroney is TWO YEARS younger than Addai.

R

Last edited:
Found this posted elsewhere, which originated on finhaven: Phil Simms on Ronnie Brown and Lawrence Maroney:

"I answered this [Monday] to somebody," Simms said on 790 The Ticket. "I said let's take their team and match it up against the New England Patriots, and start naming [players]. All of a sudden they go, 'Oh yeah, wow, what a difference.' Let's match the Miami Dolphins up against the New York Giants. The Giants have potentially All-Pro players at almost every [position]. Can you say that about the Dolphins?"

Simms also was critical of running back Ronnie Brown.

"I don't look at him and go 'Oh, wow,' said Simms. "When I saw Laurence Maroney of the New England Patriots, I can tell you right away as soon as I saw him, I said, 'My gosh.'

"It's not about blocking," he said. "I understand sometimes there could be great running backs that are going to average three yards a carry if the opportunity is just not there ever. I don't think [Brown's] opportunities are great, but I don't see physical qualities that stand out tremendously like I do with a Laurence Maroney, a Tiki Barber and all the great backs in the NFL."

basement zombie said:
Found this posted elsewhere, which originated on finhaven: Phil Simms on Ronnie Brown and Lawrence Maroney:

Ya, pretty rediculous, huh? This guy was sweating Ronnie last year... and now that the Fins are having a bad year and the o-line gets decimated by injuries... he all of a sudden now doesnt think Ronnie is that good. Simms is a joke...

Ronnie is a downhill runner. He isnt a guy that is going to make a bunch of cutbacks. Thats not his running style. He is going to hit a hole quickly and hit it hard, and hit whoever gets in his way.

And it is funny he compared Ronnie to Tiki... as Charles on FinHeaven put it in perspective.

Ronnies first year he had 396 more yards on 71 more carries than Tiki did in his first year he also had more TD's in his first year than Tikis first THREE YEARS COMBINED.

Through three years Of Tikis career, he only has 28 more yards than Ronnies first year.

Tikis averages through the first three years: 3.8, 3.2, 4.2
Ronnies first year: 4.4

Tiki also played double the amount of games through his first 3 years that Ronnie did his first.

Ronnie, has fumbled 6 times in his career, 4 in his first season, he could fumble 4 times a season for as many years that Tiki has played, and would end up with 12 less fumbles than Tiki...

And Ronnie converts 63% of his runs on third down into first downs.

Last edited:
If I had to rank the rookie backs right now based on this season....

Laurence Maroney- lead the rooks in yards, also is a fantastic kickoff returner, and has shown flashes of being a passing threat....all while have 8 to 9 players in box because of weak pass game

Maurice Jones Drew- just seems to have a nose for the endzone

Joseph Addai- has the benefit of a great O-Line, and best passing game in the league, but has really improved since pre-season

Leon Washington- similar playing style to Drew, has really stepped up recently, and should get more PT with Jets playoff hopes fading fast

Jerius Norwood- averaging a ridiculous 7.6 yards per carry

Reggie Bush- fantastic returner, can catch a few passes, but isn't doing much running, and isn't gaining a lot of yards

DeAngelo Williams- should be getting more carries, has shown flashes

Mike Bell- not bad for being undrafted

all in all this should be considered one of the best running back classes ever when it's all said and done

edit: moved Addai to third

Last edited:
mavfan2390 said:
If I had to rank the rookie backs right now based on this season....

Laurence Maroney- lead the rooks in yards, also is a fantastic kickoff returner, and has shown flashes of being a passing threat....all while have 8 to 9 players in box because of weak pass game

Maurice Jones Drew- just seems to have a nose for the endzone

Leon Washington- similar playing style to Drew, has really stepped up recently, and should get more PT with Jets playoff hopes fading fast

Joseph Addai- has the benefit of a great O-Line, and best passing game in the league, but has really improved since pre-season

Jerius Norwood- averaging a ridiculous 7.6 yards per carry

Reggie Bush- fantastic returner, can catch a few passes, but isn't doing much running, and isn't gaining a lot of yards

Mike Bell- not bad for being undrafted

I would put Bush above Norwood... and Addai above Leon.

How would you rank the AFC East RBs?

I have to go:
Dillion
Ronnie
Willis
Maroney
Leon

I would put Bush above Norwood... and Addai above Leon.

Bush may turn into a player, but right now he is extremely overrated, all he is doing is catching security passes behind the line of scrimmage when he's not being covered and running for a few yards.

You're right about Addai tho.

How would you rank the AFC East RBs?

I have to go:
Dillion
Ronnie
Willis
Maroney
Leon

Right now:

Brown
Dillon
Willis
Maroney
Washington...

Brown is good, hes just stuck with two crap QB's, and a crap o-line.

Maroney should be the best in the league someday.

I remember seeing him in his 1st game at the Dome for the Gophers, I didn't know who he was, but I was immediately impressed.

I have been to just about every home Gophers game and he continued to impress me, time and time again.

I remember the big thing around here was the question:
Who is better, LoMo or Brian Calhoun?

I didn't think that it even was a comparison, but the Wisconsin Badgers fans sure did.
They were RUTHLESS at the dome ripping on Maroney, saying that Calhoun was the better back.

Most likely, they knew too, who was the better back...it's just that the Gophers/Badgers Vikings/Packers thing is so strong around here...it seems like everything matters.

Anyway, Maroney is a beast and a steal of a pickup where you picked him...I really wish that we could have gotten him.
And I really cant wait to see how his annual numbers stack up against Bush' later down the road.

Sackman

mavfan2390 said:
Bush may turn into a player, but right now he is extremely overrated, all he is doing is catching security passes behind the line of scrimmage when he's not being covered and running for a few yards.

You're right about Addai tho.

Right now:

Brown
Dillon
Willis
Maroney
Washington...

Brown is good, hes just stuck with two crap QB's, and a crap o-line.

I agree with you about your RB rankings in our division, just didnt want to be called a homer... ;)

But seriously, even though our division blows... we have some serious RBs in the East... and young too.

So what did you guys think of Ronnie yesturday? 29 carries for 157 rushing yards (5.41ypc) and 2 catches for 33 receiving yards... for 190 total yards.

He abused the best defense in the league...

Yankees/Colts said:
Addai is having a better season and looks like the better all-around back.

Then again... you have sh!t for brains... who really cares what you think.

Fencer said:
But hasn't yet shown anything like the receiving skills of either Faulk cousin.

Yeah, Faulk sure has skills at receiving... we all seen this last night.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes