PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What could the Pats get for trading Brian Hoyer?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What could the Pats get for Hoyer?

• 2nd or 3rd round pick

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • 4th or 5th round pick

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • 6th or 7th round pick

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • They couldn't get anything

Votes: 14 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed....Cassel was franchised and teams knew the Pats wouldn't be able to hold on to him. The strategy there was to wait the Patriots out until they became desperate to unload him at a lower price.

After the trade with KC was announced, I remember a report that some team was interested in giving up a 1.

yeah, not to drag out the ancient history, but if you remember the pats were on a very tight timetable as free agency was a couple days away and they had zero cash.
I think they actually pitched bodden a deal with that money, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Regarding the 2nd for Cassel. I watch Cassel alot and hes not that good. Very inaccurate. I dont know how he won 11 games for the Pats. Right now, Cassel is not a guy that can carry a team like Brady and win you a bunch of games.

Some blame his WRs. We will see, if Baldwin pans out, he'll have him, Bowe, Moeaki (decent TE), Mculster and one of the best run games in the NFL. KC will likely add a FA WR or two.

Until Hoyer proves he can start and win regular season NFL games, he isnt worth anything IMO.

Until Hoyer proves he can start and win regular season NFL games, he isnt worth anything IMO.

Have Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder proven that?

Regarding the 2nd for Cassel. I watch Cassel alot and hes not that good. Very inaccurate. I dont know how he won 11 games for the Pats. Right now, Cassel is not a guy that can carry a team like Brady and win you a bunch of games.

Some blame his WRs. We will see, if Baldwin pans out, he'll have him, Bowe, Moeaki (decent TE), Mculster and one of the best run games in the NFL. KC will likely add a FA WR or two.

It amazes me how particularly regarding the QB position people here continually fail to learn the lesson when it's being taught right under their noses.

There are a handful of teams in this 32 team league who have a QB on their roster who can carry a team and win you a bunch of games. Yet all 32 teams field a so called starter. Guys like Hoyer and Cassel may not project the perceived ceiling that some of the more highly touted draft picks do...or did. What they do project is a higher solid floor. They're guys who won't kill you and if you build a halfway decent program around them they might just surprise their kneejerk critics who can't get over where or whether they were drafted...

Beyond the tag situation with Cassel, part of what hurt his pre draft value was the perception fueled by the Boston media that he had one foot out the door heading into the 2008 season and had been passed on the depth chart by everyone but the ballboy. That left a lot of pundits scraping egg off their face and and looking for an alternative explanation, so they settled on the system and the talent around him not allowing for failure. Many of them still haven't been able to scrape the remainder of that egg off their faces to this day. The good news (that many of their followers here haven't yet grasped) is they won't make that mistake again and do the same thing to Hoyer. Perception is reality in the NFL when it comes to assessing player value in the offseason, and Hoyer is building value. Acknowledging that doesn't make you a homer, it makes you a savvy observer - just like it did with Cassel for some of us...

Pre conceived value notions are exactly what led Lloyd Carr to nearly flumox Tommy's NFL career before it ever started... The Cowboys traded a third round pick to the Houston Texans in 2004 for a baseball player the Texans had taken a flyer on in the 2001 draft - even though he was at the time playing in the Yankees system... Had he not decided to sign a baseball deal following his 2000 season at Michigan, Henson would have likely commanded a first round selection from some NFL sucker...because of the long standing, scouting fueled perception he was a 5 star can't miss talent...

I concluded a long time ago there are more insurance salesmen out there these days who could have been developed into damn fine NFL QB's if only ever given a shot than there are five star prospects who will not bust. Hundreds of college teams take the field annually and each of them has a QB and yet only a dozen or so see theirs given even the time of day by guys so enamored by measurables they can't see a damn thing beyond them.

Did Hoyer get drafted in the 1st round?

No, but JaMarcus Russel did, anyway, what's your point?

A player can be drafted anywhere but they still havent proved they can produce in the NFL. Hoyer has proved a LOT more than Newton and the other 1st round QBs have, which is 0.

A player can be drafted anywhere but they still havent proved they can produce in the NFL. Hoyer has proved a LOT more than Newton and the other 1st round QBs have, which is 0.
The Panthers would have been better served to go after Jim Sorgi than Cam Newton. He's already coming across as a pompous prick only a few days into his employment minus the mental aptitude to play the position.

It amazes me how particularly regarding the QB position people here continually fail to learn the lesson when it's being taught right under their noses.

There are a handful of teams in this 32 team league who have a QB on their roster who can carry a team and win you a bunch of games. Yet all 32 teams field a so called starter. Guys like Hoyer and Cassel may not project the perceived ceiling that some of the more highly touted draft picks do...or did. What they do project is a higher solid floor. They're guys who won't kill you and if you build a halfway decent program around them they might just surprise their kneejerk critics who can't get over where or whether they were drafted...

Beyond the tag situation with Cassel, part of what hurt his pre draft value was the perception fueled by the Boston media that he had one foot out the door heading into the 2008 season and had been passed on the depth chart by everyone but the ballboy. That left a lot of pundits scraping egg off their face and and looking for an alternative explanation, so they settled on the system and the talent around him not allowing for failure. Many of them still haven't been able to scrape the remainder of that egg off their faces to this day. The good news (that many of their followers here haven't yet grasped) is they won't make that mistake again and do the same thing to Hoyer. Perception is reality in the NFL when it comes to assessing player value in the offseason, and Hoyer is building value. Acknowledging that doesn't make you a homer, it makes you a savvy observer - just like it did with Cassel for some of us...

Pre conceived value notions are exactly what led Lloyd Carr to nearly flumox Tommy's NFL career before it ever started... The Cowboys traded a third round pick to the Houston Texans in 2004 for a baseball player the Texans had taken a flyer on in the 2001 draft - even though he was at the time playing in the Yankees system... Had he not decided to sign a baseball deal following his 2000 season at Michigan, Henson would have likely commanded a first round selection from some NFL sucker...because of the long standing, scouting fueled perception he was a 5 star can't miss talent...

I concluded a long time ago there are more insurance salesmen out there these days who could have been developed into damn fine NFL QB's if only ever given a shot than there are five star prospects who will not bust. Hundreds of college teams take the field annually and each of them has a QB and yet only a dozen or so see theirs given even the time of day by guys so enamored by measurables they can't see a damn thing beyond them.

See, I think Cassel is a guy who will screw up and lose you an important game. His performance vs the Ravens last post season was pitiful: 9 comp - 18 attempt - 0 tds and 3 ints. If the Chiefs dont bring a strong run game they are screwed with Cassel IMO.

The Chiefs spent a 2nd for a glorified game manager. Thats too high a price in my eyes for what they have in Cassel right now. I see why teams backed off from Cassel.

What has Hoyer proven?

That he can hold a clipboard?

See, I think Cassel is a guy who will screw up and lose you an important game. His performance vs the Ravens last post season was pitiful: 9 comp - 18 attempt - 0 tds and 3 ints. If the Chiefs dont bring a strong run game they are screwed with Cassel IMO. The Chiefs spent a 2nd for a glorified game manager. Thats too high a price in my eyes for what they have in Cassel right now. I see why teams backed off from Cassel.

Cassel walked into a hot mess that remains at best a work in progress. Haley may prove to be the worst choice Pioli made in his effort to replicate the system. As for QB's, give me a guy who can manage the game over some measurables knucklehead who can't be taught or bothered to any day at any price. Teams backed off of Cassel because of ignorant misinformed media fueled perception he was not only a product of the system but hanging on here by a thread in the presence of such potential talents as KOC and Matt Gutierrez...

Last edited:
See, I think Cassel is a guy who will screw up and lose you an important game. His performance vs the Ravens last post season was pitiful: 9 comp - 18 attempt - 0 tds and 3 ints. If the Chiefs dont bring a strong run game they are screwed with Cassel IMO.

The Chiefs spent a 2nd for a glorified game manager. Thats too high a price in my eyes for what they have in Cassel right now. I see why teams backed off from Cassel.

You do realize this makes absolutely zero sense.

Your justification is a playoff game that happened 16 months after the guy arrived following a 2-14 season?

If you watched so many games, what about that Chiefs game in San Diego?

Not trying to be insulting but....WOW!!!!

The one thing I'm certain of is that BB thinks highly of Hoyer. I don't believe we'd take a QB in the 3rd round unless he already started thinking about cashing in with Hoyer. In fact, the ball may already be moving on this one. I'm convinced of it.

If you listen to Michael Lombardi, the Patriots ranked Mallett as the #1 QB on their board. When he was still there at 74, they saw him as way too much value to pass up, regardless of whatever plans they might have for Hoyer.

What has Hoyer proven?

That he can hold a clipboard?

Hoyer has actually played in NFL games, and he's also proved he's not someone to alienate players and embarass the franchise.

2nd or 3rd round voters one thing to say to you.....

Put down the crack pipe

Come on now,Hoyer for a 2nd?...even Al Davis would be laughing his pruney face over that.

He's wayyyy too slow for Al. I wonder what Al would give up for Mike Vick? And I think Hoyer could get a 4th, maybe a 3rd.

You do realize this makes absolutely zero sense.

Your justification is a playoff game that happened 16 months after the guy arrived following a 2-14 season?

If you watched so many games, what about that Chiefs game in San Diego?

Not trying to be insulting but....WOW!!!!

Cassel was 10 comp - 22 attempt - 68 yards - 1 TD - 0 int.

Hoyer has actually played in NFL games, and he's also proved he's not someone to alienate players and embarass the franchise.

Hoyer has thrown 1 TD in the NFL.

Hoyer has thrown 1 TD in the NFL.

Yes, and it’s WAY more than Cam Newton has done, which is NOTHING. Let me put it this way, suppose you’re an NFL coach and your job depends on winning next season, would hiring Cam Newton be a better bet than Brian Hoyer? If I’m going to hire a QB I’d take Hoyer any day of the week than the first rounders this year.

Hoyer hasn’t had a lot of playing time but when he was in he was accurate, made good decisions, had a nice delivery, demonstrated excellent poise as he stepped into throws right as he was being hit in front, and is not a jackass like a bunch of 1st round picks have proven themselves.

Cassel was 10 comp - 22 attempt - 68 yards - 1 TD - 0 int.

Well then he must have been super human considering the fact he didn't play the game in San Diego.

That was the game he was out because he had surgery for appendix removal.

Thanks for proving my point.

So much for the intense study.

BTW, ya might want to review 2006. The whole year of poor play for R'berger was blamed on his appendix surgery. Ya might want to review

Yes, and it’s WAY more than Cam Newton has done, which is NOTHING. Let me put it this way, suppose you’re an NFL coach and your job depends on winning next season, would hiring Cam Newton be a better bet than Brian Hoyer? If I’m going to hire a QB I’d take Hoyer any day of the week than the first rounders this year.

Based on what? His 1 td pass vs a floundering Miami team.

Hoyer has played in garbage time after the game was already won.

Hoyer hasn’t had a lot of playing time but when he was in he was accurate, made good decisions, had a nice delivery, demonstrated excellent poise as he stepped into throws right as he was being hit in front, and is not a jackass like a bunch of 1st round picks have proven themselves.

All his 2010 completions came vs Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes