PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What could the Pats get for trading Brian Hoyer?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What could the Pats get for Hoyer?

• 2nd or 3rd round pick

Votes: 38 31.7%
  • 4th or 5th round pick

Votes: 48 40.0%
  • 6th or 7th round pick

Votes: 20 16.7%
  • They couldn't get anything

Votes: 14 11.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything is possible when you have teams like the Seahawks giving away a 2nd for Charlie Whitehurst. If Hoyer has a strong preseason, I'd say a 3rd or 4th. I don't think he'll be traded though. I expect the team to carry 3 QBs again, hopefully the competition makes both Hoyer and Mallett better.

Last edited:
Hoyer is a starting calibar QB. I know that is hard to back up based on limited playing time but he has played very well in the pre-season. Further, in week 17 he looked fantastic. Trading him would be a mistake. Why wouldn't we keep a solid starting calibar QB at a cheap price. I am guessing if BB likes Malletts progression he will trade Hoyer when his contract is running out, if not, he will keep him. Multiple reports have backed up my sentiment and NFL teams have taken notice.
These are the last two post on Hoyer via Rotoworld.com.

Former Patriots QB and current Boston-area radio host Scott Zolek believes the New England brass is as high on Brian Hoyer's development as they were on Matt Cassel three years ago.Coach Bill Belichick's high opinion of Hoyer was made clear when the undrafted rookie was kept as Tom Brady's only backup in 2009. According to Zolek, the Patriots believe Hoyer "gives them an as good or better chance to win than Matt Cassel did ... They love Hoyer." Zolek doesn't expect the Pats to draft a QB because "Hoyer's the guy — flat-out." Apr 21, 5:48 PM
(April 21)

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi believes Patriots backup Brian Hoyer makes a better trade target for quarterback-needy teams than Eagles backup Kevin Kolb.
That's not to say Lombardi believes Hoyer is a better QB, just that the Eagles believe they can get "a great price" for Kolb. "If teams evaluate New England's Week 17 game against Miami," said Lombardi, "they'd see that Hoyer demonstrates the skills needed to be a starter." In 42 career attempts, Hoyer has posted a 61.9 completion rate, 6.3 yards per attempt, and 77.9 passer rating. His passer rating in preseason games is just north of 95.0. Related: Kevin KolbSource: NFL.com (Feb 22)

What he did in two regular season games:
Patriots QB Brian Hoyer came off the bench to complete 7-of-13 passes for 122 yards and a touchdown in the team's Week 17 win over Miami.
He was 7-of-11 (63.6%) with an 11.1 YPA if you throw out an odd second-quarter series in which a cold Hoyer was inserted for Tom Brady, threw two incompletions, and then was pulled for Brady on third-and-ten. Hoyer's best throw was a 42-yard missile to Brandon Tate in the back left corner of the end zone. It looks like Hoyer won't embarrass himself if he's forced into spot duty.
-Rotoworld
Rookie Brian Hoyer completed 9-of-11 passes for 52 yards and added six rushes for -2 yards and a touchdown against the Titans in Week 6.
Hoyer came on to mop up after Tom Brady had staked the Pats to a 52-0 lead early in the third quarter. With the game out of hand and the Patriots moving to a conservative offense, it was hard to get a read on Hoyer's passing prowess. He did move the offense into the red zone on his first two drives.
-Rotoworld

Further he has played very well in the pre-season. BB also only carried two QB's last year. Evidence of belief in Hoyer. I think it would be a mistake to trade Hoyer and if possible, hope we could keep him long enough to be Brady's heir.

Last edited:
2nd or 3rd round voters one thing to say to you.....

Put down the crack pipe

Come on now,Hoyer for a 2nd?...even Al Davis would be laughing his pruney face over that.

2nd or 3rd round voters one thing to say to you.....

Put down the crack pipe

Come on now,Hoyer for a 2nd?...even Al Davis would be laughing his pruney face over that.

I don't think we'd get a second, but Charlie Whitehurst?

A bag of footballs and a used massage table.

Last edited:
Whatever Hoyer's value is would be determined almost solely by preseason tape. No one will give up much for a QB who hasn't had any real playing time in the regular season. If his mechanics, accuracy, and decision making check out on preseason film, he might be worth a 4th rounder at the absolute most.

It's possible that he could pull more for us, but only if the other team is desperate and stupid. Luckily this is the NFL we're talking about, so that's always a possibility.

Difference between Kolb and Hoyer is that Kolb has a few starts under his belt. If Hoyer ever gets that kind of experience, then we can talk about 3rd round picks.

4th or a 5th more likely a 5th.

A ham sandwich however you'll be lucky to get a pickle on the side.

If Jake Locker is worth a 1st round pick, then the sky is the limit here.

But seriously, the Whitehurst deal showed that it only takes one sucker. Yes, he was a higher draft pick than Hoyer. In fact, he was a higher draft pick than Tom Brady too. He also hadn't attempted a single pass in an NFL game.

His pre-season numbers were also mediocre prior to the trade:

Comp: 104 Att: 197 Comp.%: 52.6 Yards: 1,031 TD's: 5 INT: 7 Sacked: 13 Fumb.: 6 QB Rating: 60.6

Whitehurst was also the 3rd QB behind Volek, while BB chose to have Hoyer as the primary, and only, back-up to Brady, which is a rather large vote of confidence.

Hoyer is still not a fantastic prospect. He was 19 of 27 in his rookie season with mostly short passes, but last year was only 7 of 15 with 1 TD and 1 INT in limited reps. But his pre-season numbers are significantly better than Whitehurst's were.

In 2009, Hoyer completed 29 of 44 passes (65.9%) for 354 yards, 1 TD and 0 INTs and a 98.1 QBR. He followed that up in 2010 with 32 of 57 passes (56.1%) for 471 yards, 3 TDs and 1 INT and a 93.5 QBR.

So a 2nd or 3rd might be unlikely. It really depends on the desperation level of a team. But it's hard to believe Hoyer isn't at least on par with where Whitehurst was when Seattle came calling. It doesn't matter if 25 other teams won't give up a top pick for him so long as one does.

Last edited:
Really? Looking at the votes here and seeing that 2nd or 3rd pick is tied for 1st in the voting boggles my mind. Seriously, the Pats got a 2nd for Cassel who actually proved something in the NFL.

I agree - Cassel was 11-5 in real live NFL games that meant something and he was worth a 2nd rounder.

How many NFL wins does Hoyer have?

Work backwards from a 2nd rounder folks... way back.

No doubt there's a number of teams with questionable depth at QB where I'm confident Hoyer could give them a run for their money and challenge for a starting spot. But while those teams would love to throw him into the mix, they're not giving up a high draft pick for him.

In a perfect scenario without a lockout, at any point should the Pats think that Mallet is ready to be the #2 starter - and as of now that's a LONG way off as Mallet has yet to evenshow he can make meetings on time - perhaps they consider trading Hoyer for a conditional pick.

A more likely scenario might be a player swap - a team with depth at a position of need for the Patriots seeking a QB once the lockout is over... but I think the point of taking Mallet this year was to shelve him as the Emergency QB and let him straighten out his life before throwing him to the NFL wolves.

Where is the option for 1st round pick?

Hoyer's a good QB. BB's success in grooming Cassel actually works in Hoyer's favor. I think most of you underestimate his value. Forget everything else. Here's the bottom line. It's tough to find quality QB's. When they're found, they have value. Hoyer has impressed since the first time he saw the field during the preseason of his rookie year. His performance against Miami in week 17 last season was also mighty impressive. I expect BB to showcase Hoyer as much as possible in the hopes of trading him before his contract expires. I wouldn't be shocked to see BB get a 2nd rounder for him. It all depends on how needy a team is for a good QB. I'd love to see him go to Arizona. I think he'd do really well out there. All they need is a decent QB and Hoyer could be that guy.

BTW...Rob Johnson (1 start) and Matt Shaub (2 starts) were traded for 1sts with not much more game experience.

you guys turn on people pretty quick around here.

Hoyer's a good QB. BB's success in grooming Cassel actually works in Hoyer's favor. I think most of you underestimate his value. Forget everything else. Here's the bottom line. It's tough to find quality QB's. When they're found, they have value. Hoyer has impressed since the first time he saw the field during the preseason of his rookie year. His performance against Miami in week 17 last season was also mighty impressive. I expect BB to showcase Hoyer as much as possible in the hopes of trading him before his contract expires. I wouldn't be shocked to see BB get a 2nd rounder for him. It all depends on how needy a team is for a good QB. I'd love to see him go to Arizona. I think he'd do really well out there. All they need is a decent QB and Hoyer could be that guy.

BTW...Rob Johnson (1 start) and Matt Shaub (2 starts) were traded for 1sts with not much more game experience.

schauby was also a 6'5" 3rd rounder who pitched a 300/3 game in his second year for a 112 qb rating.
hoyer was undrafted.

Ha!

Prior to the Draft, I would had said NOTHING. Now that the draft has passed and having seeing where some quarterbacks were selected, I would say the Pats could get a 2nd or 3rd.

Even though they only got a second for Cassel, I'm sure there are a few teams kicking themselves for not jumping into the mix.

they only got a second for cassell 'cuz he was on a 1 yr deal paying like 14m and not only do you need to fit that under your cap but you don't know if you can sign him past one year.
in addition, pats were motivated sellers as they would've had great difficulty fitting him under the cap and pioli was as aware of this as anybody in football.

Ha!

Prior to the Draft, I would had said NOTHING. Now that the draft has passed and having seeing where some quarterbacks were selected, I would say the Pats could get a 2nd or 3rd.

Even though they only got a second for Cassel, I'm sure there are a few teams kicking themselves for not jumping into the mix.

If McDaniels had gotten in on the Cassel sweepstakes, he might still be a HC right now.

If Cassel had somehow been under contract for 2009 at, say, $3M, the Pats probably WOULD have gotten a first for him.

Last edited:
they only got a second for cassell 'cuz he was on a 1 yr deal paying like 14m and not only do you need to fit that under your cap but you don't know if you can sign him past one year.
in addition, pats were motivated sellers as they would've had great difficulty fitting him under the cap and pioli was as aware of this as anybody in football.

Agreed....Cassel was franchised and teams knew the Pats wouldn't be able to hold on to him. The strategy there was to wait the Patriots out until they became desperate to unload him at a lower price.

After the trade with KC was announced, I remember a report that some team was interested in giving up a 1.

I agree with the previous poster that said Schaub had better measurables (6'5") but if a team believes the kid can play, they'll pay. Don't forget about Shannahan. I believe he visited our training camp for a few days during Hoyer's rookie year. If the kid looked as impressive then as he has when I've seen him, Hoyer could be a future Redskin. Plus Shanny and BB have a good relationship, so I would expect BB's endorsement to carry more weight than it would with a typical schmoe who might feel BB is trying to snooker him.

The one thing I'm certain of is that BB thinks highly of Hoyer. I don't believe we'd take a QB in the 3rd round unless he already started thinking about cashing in with Hoyer. In fact, the ball may already be moving on this one. I'm convinced of it.

Those are my two cents. We'll have to wait and see and hope for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News