PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are your plans for the offseason?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no offseason, damnit :)

I'll probably still post now and then, but not nearly as much for a while. Draft time I'm sure I'll be back around.

Not a lot of different stuff for me. Married with two kids kind of limits my options.

- Heavy draft preparation.
- Fantasy baseball starting up, two leagues there.
- Hoping to upgrade from my 1989 27" TV to a HDTV by 2007 NFL season.

That's about it I think.

Hey, at least you got your money's worth out of that TV.

I've got a 27 inch that is only four years old, and sooner than later it'll be completely obsolete (more or less arleady is, but you know what I mean).

Is there an off-season? Please see the sticky above for the NFL schedule for the entire year. I'll be here every day and watching the NFL network.

BTW, there are lots of folks who seem to focus more energy on the draft than on the actual season. The NFL Network has full combine coverage, after having full coverage o Senior Bowl practices.

Most of us have other hobbies that we'll be moving on to, so I'm just curious what all of you have planned for the offseason.

I, as I've stated before in a much different type of thread :)eat1:), write music.. so that'll be a big part of my offseason. I've also been thinking about taking painting back up, as that's another hobby that's gone neglected for many long years.

I'll probably read some books. I got plenty of those for Christmas, so I'll probably start going through those.

They opened a new biking trail over the highway so I'll probably check that out.

What are all of you guys planning?

Last edited:
Well, I've got a few books to read.

Do some design and artwork.

There's the Red Wings and Pistons. I'll go to some games. Michigan hockey.

NCAA Tournament. Do some traveling.

Michigan spring game.

Read everything I can about the draft, watch the draft, check out minicamps.

NHL Playoffs, watch the Wings choke in the first round. NBA playoffs, watch the Pistons lose.

Wait for training camp by posting 1,000 times on PatsFans.

I've got to work on my 'real' beer drinking so I can join a certain posse.

I've got to work on my 'real' beer drinking so I can join a certain posse.

In that case I can give you a head start:

Whatever you do, stay away from
KL.gif

I think that's the first rule that was put in when BOR took over
the posse and started imposing 'man laws'.

Travel while you can because kids are hard to take everywhere.

Don't forget to fund your Roth IRA though!

I don't even know what a Roth IRA is. haha.
You can only put about $3K in a year. You really should start now - you can never make up the money you'll lose from not getting it in when you're young.

Remember, compound interest is your friend.

You can only put about $3K in a year. You really should start now - you can never make up the money you'll lose from not getting it in when you're young.

Remember, compound interest is your friend.

$4,000 per person in 2007 and that increases to $5,000 starting in 2008. Those over 50 can contribute an additional $1,000 per year.

Just to demonstrate the effects of compounding, take a gander at this example:

A 30 year old saving $4,000 per year and earning 10% will have ~$660,000 at age 60. If that person waited until age 40 to start saving, they would need to save $11,525 annually to have the same amount of money at age 60.

Sorry, just trying to help my fellow fans any way that I can.

$4,000 per person in 2007 and that increases to $5,000 starting in 2008. Those over 50 can contribute an additional $1,000 per year.
Unfortunately married people are screwed. My wife and I, if single, could each have a Roth IRA. But the max income for married couples is less than two times the max income for single people. So although we're far from rich, we make too much money. F*cking jerkoffs. At least there's the 401K.

Most of us have other hobbies that we'll be moving on to, so I'm just curious what all of you have planned for the offseason.

We ARE talking about the infamous PatsFans.com forum right? Other hobbies? Yeah right. :cool:

Just by saying what you said, something that has no place in this thread, for no apparent reason, you initiated another flame war by using, or suggesting, NEM , in your thread. It , really had no placve in this thread in which yu asked what people would be doing in the off season.

And for the record, I really could care less, but I imagine you can see that you sltarted something that really, need not have been started. It was done for no other reason than to initiate my response.... BTW, I plan on being here to piss you off for the entire off season. :D

Bad news for you: You don't piss me off. Just having a little fun with the whole huge thread that's taken over the board. If you don't want your negative press in the minds of posters here, then you could remove it by stopping what you're doing right above in the quote. You can end all of what is going on by simply stopping.

Sadly, for you, no.

Good luck with that.
:)

It's OK but it's just a fact of life once you have kids and are busier, tireder, etc, (and older of course), it's not quite as good as it once was.

Just like compound interest is your friend, a women's desire for kids is too (even if you both don't want them yet).

Last edited:
Plans include continuing to work my butt off at my offices in Hong Kong, Shenzhen, China and throughout the region on business trips; and spend as much time as possible with my wife and 3 kids in Hong Kong and traveling around (Thailand, Vietnam, Xiamen, China, and we already have a trip planned to Beijing in August for you-know-what!); start jogging a bit more when I can fit it in; enjoying my wife a bit more when I can fit it in.:cool:

:)

It's OK but it's just a fact of life once you have kids and are busier, tireder, etc, (and older of course), it's not quite as good as it once was.

Just like compound interest is your friend, a women's desire for kids is too (even if you both don't want them yet).

I will try to remember both of those pieces of advice. I'll have to look further into those IRAs or whatever they are. Compound interest compound interest compound interest. I think I've got it memorized.

Hey, why is compound interest good, but a compound fracture bad? :confused:

I will try to remember both of those pieces of advice. I'll have to look further into those IRAs or whatever they are. Compound interest compound interest compound interest. I think I've got it memorized.
The bottom line :

If your company has a 401K you HAVE TO max it out. Any matching is great but it's pre tax so you have HUGE $$$.

If not, or if you want to go in addition to, Roth IRAs are great. No tax benefit now but you all the earnings are tax FREE (not deferred) when you retire. Every cent in the account is yours and when you take it out the government gets NOTHING.

Traditional IRAs are fine, they're pre tax now but taxed when you get the money out. Much like 401Ks but no matching.

Work out like crazy! I have been lifting and swimming laps at my college for the past 3 months. My goal is to gain 15-20 pounds of muscle. I have totally changed the way I eat and hopefully it pays off. I'm currently working on my Political Science degree and only have 2 semesters left and summer school.

Well, Ill start working through the semester here at Dear Old State, then Spring Break in Ft. Lauderdale with my brother, then working hard core on my research paper (on football helmets, concussion, and spinal injury history) until the end of the semester. Watch the draft in April, go back to Boston in May, and try to find employment for the summer as I waste my nights away and prepare for the coming of a very large event ahead:

I turn 21 in September...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back