PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are your HONEST OPINIONS on the play of Ellis Hobbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ellis Hobbs is the Willie Mays of the Patriots, only without the baseball part entirely, after all this is a different sport, the skill level, the money, fame, and popularity. And let us remember that we are talking about an entirely different generation.
But other than that, it is exactly the same!

Better than I expected. Hobbs is a good starter but I don't like him as the #1 guy. I hope the Pats get a stud though FA or the draft this offseason.

My honest opinion of Ellis Hobbs is that he is inconsistent. He looks good on some plays and terrible on others and he is too short to cover many tall wide receivers. He is definitely not the worst we've ever seen, but not the best either. He apparently plays/has played through injuries (see Superbowl and surgical aftermath) which is a credit to him.

I also think it MUST affect his stamina in a game to continue with his kick-off duties and I wish BB would find someone else for that role (although the Matthew Slater experiment failed miserably on Sunday), as Hobbs hasn't broken too many lately anyway, so why wear him out and expose him to potential injury.

Just my honest $.02

there has been a lot of talk on the size of a CB. I personally think size is irrelevant for the most part. I mean, yah, jump balls are part of the game, but i dont care how big or short someone is, you can either play well, or you cannot play well. just give us 1 that can make plays and ill be happy

Hobbs is a good athlete who is a gamer, as evidenced by the fact that he has played with knee and shoulder injuries this year and a groin injury in the SB. He is tough and a competitor who plays bigger than his size, I remember two fantastic plays he made on 3rd and 4th down inside the 10 to beat the Dolphins in his rookie year where he had to outleap much taller WR's. Hobbs is a good run defender also. He gets his hands on lots of balls or is close with good body position but doesn't seem to have the ball skills to make ints. He doesn't have pure speed to match up in one-on-one man coverage or the size to jam WR's, but is smart and anticipates well so he is effective in combo man and zone coverages.

Hobbs is also a very good KR with 2 career TD's there in a short time in the league, which adds to his value as a player. Overall he is a solid football player, a #2 or very solid #3 CB but not a lockdown, shutdown #1.

...but not a lockdown, shutdown #1.
Feel free to list those who are "lockdown, shutdown #1" CBs - just so we're all on the same page. :D

I have been arguing with this guy all morning about it. He thinks that he flat out sucks. I totally DISAGREE. Deltha O'Neal SUCKS. Hobbs is ok, IMHO. He's not great, but he's OK. I like Hobbs. I think that he gets a lot of unnecessary abuse from "SOME" fans and media. What are your thoughts?

I think he is a very good KR.......other than that I think he is a decent, sporadic secondary player in CERTAIN defensive schemes.....Unfortuneatly, the Pats have left him ALONE on an island all too often and he has been torched ALOT.....He should NEVER be man to man in ANY situation.......

Every time I hear the name Hobbs......or see him in coverage......I think of him tripping over his jock strap....while the ball is sailing into the hands of Plaxico "the shooter" Burress to take away the SB victory from us.......can't get it out of my head..........

hobbs plays with alot of heart, he is excellent special teams player which is why he will always have a spot on the team. As far as coverage goes he does not have the natural instinct for the ball like law and samuel had, he is good against run and he is the only one in the secondary who follows his assighnments. The thing that really gets at me is the 10-15 yard cushion that are corners give on every play and we wonder why we cant get off the field on 3rd down.

He's a solid starter in this league, nothing more nothing less. Honestly if Wheatley can be at Hobbs' current level in a couple years, I'd have no problems with them as our starting duo, assuming that we are able to find ourselves an adequate replacement for Vrabel and retain the rest of our front 7. I mean, I'd love to see Asomugha or another clear cut #1 CB on this team, but how are we going to afford it with Moss's deal and trying to extend our DL and Mankins when their deals are up? I'm not sure this team can afford another 'superstar' type contract.

He's a solid starter in this league, nothing more nothing less. Honestly if Wheatley can be at Hobbs' current level in a couple years, I'd have no problems with them as our starting duo, assuming that we are able to find ourselves an adequate replacement for Vrabel and retain the rest of our front 7. I mean, I'd love to see Asomugha or another clear cut #1 CB on this team, but how are we going to afford it with Moss's deal and trying to extend our DL and Mankins when their deals are up? I'm not sure this team can afford another 'superstar' type contract.

If Wheatley is only up to Hobbs level, we're in trouble. I'd like to see our players improving every year. Hobbs was given the opportunity to be the full time starter at CB but he has not impressed as being anything more than mediocre and giving up some rather memorable big plays.

If the Pats had the talent to push Hobbs to nickelback, our secondary would be in great shape. But alas that is not the case. Hobbs is being counted on to be a #1 CB right now, and he's just not that and he may never be that. Oh but to top that off, the guys behind him are even worse. Yeah...

Unfortunately the Pats have only so many draft picks to spend and their needs are many. IMO getting an upgrade to Hobbs at CB would be nice, but right now it looks like a Pass Rusher or Safety is a bigger issue. Teams complete plays in the middle and deep on the Pats secondary like they were automatic first downs. That has got to STOP for this defense to turn itself around.

Last edited:
i think hobbs is getting a raw deal. hes a #2 CB caliber player, but forced to being a #1. yes hes struggling, but he does a satisfactory job. hopefully he will be resigned for relatively cheap in the offseason, as long as a solid CB who can take a little pressure off of him. plus, i think if we had a better pass rush he wouldnt appear as bad as he has

eh he's solid I'd prefer he wasn't our number one though, he took alot of flack last year because of the blown plaxico td

Hobbs is definitely not horrible... but then again he isnt a superstar either.
Pretty much everyone has summed it up in this thread, he is a solid and dependable #2 CB and a great return weapon. But right now he shouldnt be a #1 corner even with a solid pass rush I dont know if I would want him to be covering the best WRs on the other side of the ball.
It is understandable why someone might think he along with our entire secondary is horrible since they are all being exposed thanks to the lack of a pass rush.

yah true, but plax 1 on 1 with anyone would probably win. that was terrible coverage, he couldve ran to the post or flag, there was no help over the top in either direction. i definitely dont blame hobbs for that, and i dont think anyone else should if they are going to be fair

Feel free to list those who are "lockdown, shutdown #1" CBs - just so we're all on the same page. :D

Well, since you asked:
Champ Bailey,
Nnamdi Asomugha,
Rashean Mathis and
Asante Samuel.

Very close and on the way to getting there:
Cortland Finnegan,
Darrelle Revis and
Chris Gamble.

Now if you want me to give you a list of upgrades over Hobbs as #1 who would instantly improve this entire secondary and allow the safeties to be able to be more playmakers and not sit so deep, let me know and I'll send you that list as well.

Well, since you asked:
Champ Bailey,
Nnamdi Asomugha,
Rashean Mathis and
Asante Samuel.

Very close and on the way to getting there:
Cortland Finnegan,
Darrelle Revis and
Chris Gamble.

Now if you want me to give you a list of upgrades over Hobbs as #1 who would instantly improve this entire secondary and allow the safeties to be able to be more playmakers and not sit so deep, let me know and I'll send you that list as well.

ill have to disagree here (im not even touching the lists u made)

but the safeties do NOT sit deep, they are up close to the line...
the cb's seems to me, (and the pats are the only team ive seen really do this) have ONLY THE CB covering receivers deep....never a safety there

every other team u see a wr going deep, a cb close, and a safety on the way, here u just see a db trying to cover a wr on a long ball

LOL at the people who consider Hobbs a SOLID #CB.

Are you guys even watching the games this year? Hobbs is struggling and he is responsible for a lot of the big plays we have given up in the passing game. Yes, Delta got picked on like the black sheep last week, but prior to that, it was Hobbs who constantly would give up the big play deep via reception or PI because he got behind the receiver.

He also plays 10 yards off the receiver EVEN on 1st and 10, or 3 and short. WTF? Our pass rush is bad, but this guy is usually a couple of steps behind whenever he gives up a reception. He rarely is competitive in trying to deflect the pass.

You guys are delusional.

eh he's solid I'd prefer he wasn't our number one though, he took alot of flack last year because of the blown plaxico td

He took a lot of flack last year because he got beat like a drum. Even before the Plax TD he gave up, he was struggling like he is now. Only reason his bad play reallly stood out last year was because teams stayed away from Asante for most of the time and picked on Hobbs. Now, teams have the luxury to pick on both tomato cans we have.

He took a lot of flack last year because he got beat like a drum. Even before the Plax TD he gave up, he was struggling like he is now. Only reason his bad play reallly stood out last year was because teams stayed away from Asante for most of the time and picked on Hobbs. Now, teams have the luxury to pick on both tomato cans we have.

This is a great post. you nailed it right on the head,,,,,,,,if you're a 12 yr old:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News