PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are your HONEST OPINIONS on the play of Ellis Hobbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since you asked:
Champ Bailey,
Nnamdi Asomugha,
Rashean Mathis and
Asante Samuel.

Very close and on the way to getting there:
Cortland Finnegan,
Darrelle Revis and
Chris Gamble.

Now if you want me to give you a list of upgrades over Hobbs as #1 who would instantly improve this entire secondary and allow the safeties to be able to be more playmakers and not sit so deep, let me know and I'll send you that list as well.

Samuels, a shut down corner? You must be one of those guys who's impressed with interceptions, but doesnt see the blown coverages in the rest of his game. :rolleyes:

I do like Finnegan, but I would never use 'shut down' next to his name.

Well, since you asked:
Champ Bailey,
Nnamdi Asomugha,
Rashean Mathis and
Asante Samuel.

Very close and on the way to getting there:
Cortland Finnegan,
Darrelle Revis and
Chris Gamble.
I see we need to define "lockdown" and "shutdown."

Mathis and Samuel are ballhawks, players who will give up a big play for the chance to make a big play.

Bailey and Revis are darned good cover corners and probably as closed to "shutdown" as there has been in awhile - yet both needed Safety help to limit Randy Moss this season.

I haven't seen Finnegan or Gamble this season, they certainly weren't close to "shutdown" last season.

I keep reading how much people love Asomugha as a CB, I'll be watching for him tonight to see how well he plays.

There are undoubtedly a number of CBs whom we might like ahead of Hobbs, but he's who BB drafted and he's not playing that badly - he's played against some of the best WRs and QBs in this league and made them work for every inch.

Hobbs plays well with the ball in front of him, with good quickness and reaction time. He has trouble finding the ball and making plays with his back to the ball and gets beat frequently on deep passes and unable to adjust even to an underthrown ball. These have been very costly, as in the recent Jets game.

Hobbs drives me nuts. At times he looks good, at other times he looks like Cris Canty. His coverage skills are questionable. He has the speed to compete, but constantly gets burned because he is looking in the backfield instead of focusing on the reciever. He takes good angles when he tackles, but he doesn't tackle all that well. He talks a very good game, but always has an excuse for his many failures in coverage, and I am sick of him playing the hero by telling the press he played hurt, or by acting like he got hurt making a tackle, only to reemerge like Superman on the next play. Once or twice I can buy, but every game, multiple times? It is why he is Ellis Hobbles, and he lets everybody know. And I will never forgive his coverage of Plaxico Burris in the SB. If he had watched any film at all he would have known what play was coming, instead he turns toward the middle of the endzone and leaves Burris alone.

In reality he is playing out of position. He is a nickle back, and he might be a really good nickle back, but he shoouldn't be starting corner for a team that expects to go to the Super Bowl. He just isn't that good.

I have a Ellis card that spontaniously catches on fire, it is always too hot to touch.

Who do you think is better, Ellis Hobbles or Ricky Manning Jr? Both are the same player, both are smallish DB's with OK coverage skills. Manning can at least catch the ball. Manning was always a nickle back until he went to the Bears.

Hobbs drives me nuts. At times he looks good, at other times he looks like Cris Canty. His coverage skills are questionable. He has the speed to compete, but constantly gets burned because he is looking in the backfield instead of focusing on the reciever. He takes good angles when he tackles, but he doesn't tackle all that well. He talks a very good game, but always has an excuse for his many failures in coverage, and I am sick of him playing the hero by telling the press he played hurt, or by acting like he got hurt making a tackle, only to reemerge like Superman on the next play. Once or twice I can buy, but every game, multiple times? It is why he is Ellis Hobbles, and he lets everybody know. And I will never forgive his coverage of Plaxico Burris in the SB. If he had watched any film at all he would have known what play was coming, instead he turns toward the middle of the endzone and leaves Burris alone.

In reality he is playing out of position. He is a nickle back, and he might be a really good nickle back, but he shoouldn't be starting corner for a team that expects to go to the Super Bowl. He just isn't that good.

I have a Ellis card that spontaniously catches on fire, it is always too hot to touch.

So, should we add you to the list of people who DON'T like Hobbs? Im just guessing :eek:

We get a pass rush and Ellis Hobbs looks a whole lot better

I wish Hobbs and O'Neal would stop celebrating. The secondary is looking ridiculous. They make a play and they are off in the other direction jumping up and down and pumping their arm while the secondary is being exposed all game.

O'Neal has to go. Hobbs I will keep but for god sakes man you are not as good as your celbrations are making you out to be.

Just play ball....

This is a great post. you nailed it right on the head,,,,,,,,if you're a 12 yr old:rolleyes:

You think Hobbs is good CB. I think that speaks for itself on your knowledge of the game. Hobbs is not good. He hasn't been good.

Homerism is one thing, but be objective and judge players for their play. If Hobbs was a Jet, we'd all be cracking up and laughing at how terrible he is.

When it comes to Ellis, I keep coming back to one of BB's favorite expressions, "It is what it is." I think he's an OK CB, but by no means a number one corner for an elite team like the Patriots. He gives up too many big plays, but you can always count on him for 110% effort. He'd be a lot better off as a supporting player in a Backfield with superior athletes, but unfortunately that is not what we have this year. It's also tough for even outstanding CB's to look good when the Pass Rush gives the QB all day to pick them apart. However, until there's a Draft or FA alternative, "he is who he is."

As for O'Neal, it's pretty clear to me, as to most posters, that he either is in over his head or needs a lot more development, and will probably not be on the Roster next season.

For me, the bottom line is that one of the few big Player Personnel "fumbles" by Piolichick was failing to fully grasp Asante's potential earlier and lock him up after the 2005 season.

Last edited:
If Wheatley is only up to Hobbs level, we're in trouble. I'd like to see our players improving every year. Hobbs was given the opportunity to be the full time starter at CB but he has not impressed as being anything more than mediocre and giving up some rather memorable big plays.

If the Pats had the talent to push Hobbs to nickelback, our secondary would be in great shape. But alas that is not the case. Hobbs is being counted on to be a #1 CB right now, and he's just not that and he may never be that. Oh but to top that off, the guys behind him are even worse. Yeah...

Unfortunately the Pats have only so many draft picks to spend and their needs are many. IMO getting an upgrade to Hobbs at CB would be nice, but right now it looks like a Pass Rusher or Safety is a bigger issue. Teams complete plays in the middle and deep on the Pats secondary like they were automatic first downs. That has got to STOP for this defense to turn itself around.

Maybe Hobbs hasn't reached his ceiling yet. Right now I feel he's an adequate starter. If you're expecting more out of Wheatley you're expecting alot from a low 2nd rounder! We won our last Super Bowl with Asante (well before he was 'Asante') and Randall Gay at CB. And your last paragraph pretty much makes my point for me. We need to focus on our front 7 and perhaps upgrade Kaczur before we try and upgrade CB (assuming Wheatley pans out this way). Elite corners are hard to come by and going by the contract Asante got, just too expensive for their true worth to this team.

You think Hobbs is good CB. I think that speaks for itself on your knowledge of the game. Hobbs is not good. He hasn't been good.

Homerism is one thing, but be objective and judge players for their play. If Hobbs was a Jet, we'd all be cracking up and laughing at how terrible he is.

BINGO! We got Bingo!

Who's being a homer? I think he's a good corner, and you don't know what you're talking about. You think he's bad, and I don't know what im talking about. I'd say we're even, being that im sure you're not an expert, and im not either. agree to disagree.

Is there seriously anyone on this team you're happy with? :confused:

Welker, Faulk, Mayo, Seymour, Wilfork, Neal....

Hobbs is a nickle disguised as a #1. Yes, if the pass rush was all world, his dificiencies would not be so exposed and yes, if Thomas were healthy, the schemes may be different. However, it is what it is and the secondary 'aint good. It wasn't good last year either - the Pats just always had such a lead that it was not an issue.

Hobbs is a nickle disguised as a #1. Yes, if the pass rush was all world, his dificiencies would not be so exposed and yes, if Thomas were healthy, the schemes may be different. However, it is what it is and the secondary 'aint good. It wasn't good last year either - the Pats just always had such a lead that it was not an issue.

no mankins? :D

I could agree with what you're saying, though I do think Hobbs is a little better than a nickel. I just don't think he sucks, like most on this board. Sometimes I wonder if he gets a little winded near the end of games. He's very good at returns, and I like him back there, but I think sometimes it's too much.

Completely agree. I keep hoping for this guy to develop the way Asante did, but it looks like he's regressing. Sometimes, the completions doesn't even look competitive.

He is a very good kickoff returner though.;)

ill have to disagree here (im not even touching the lists u made)

but the safeties do NOT sit deep, they are up close to the line...
the cb's seems to me, (and the pats are the only team ive seen really do this) have ONLY THE CB covering receivers deep....never a safety there

every other team u see a wr going deep, a cb close, and a safety on the way, here u just see a db trying to cover a wr on a long ball

This is way off, I'm at every game and the safeties are split sitting deep most times and the Pats rely on the front 7 to stop the run, and that's why TE's are so effective off of play action vs our D.

With the CB's being so ineffective, the Pats coaches seem to lack faith in them and thus always give them help. The CB's are stopping us from being a versatile D as in the past. Safeties aren't involved in the box and less blitzing. Physicality and versatility is what makes the Pats D work. I also wish we could see some more 4-3 looks this year. It's good for the defensive line because if the Pats are always in the same position, the opposing offenses know how to better attack. Switching 3-4 and 4-3 looks gives the D-line and LB's an advantage when they can move around and get into different spots. The 4-3 will present more opportunities for Seymour as well, who has had a nice bounceback year and is difficult to keep out of the backfield when not doubled. In order to get more pash rush we need to see more 4-3 because I haven't seen many blitzes dialed up this season due to not wanting to leave the CB's on an island. 4-3 will free up Big Sey and Jarvis Green to get into more one-on-one situations.

This is way off, I'm at every game and the safeties are split sitting deep most times and the Pats rely on the front 7 to stop the run, and that's why TE's are so effective off of play action vs our D.

With the CB's being so ineffective, the Pats coaches seem to lack faith in them and thus always give them help. The CB's are stopping us from being a versatile D as in the past. Safeties aren't involved in the box and less blitzing. Physicality and versatility is what makes the Pats D work. I also wish we could see some more 4-3 looks this year. It's good for the defensive line because if the Pats are always in the same position, the opposing offenses know how to better attack. Switching 3-4 and 4-3 looks gives the D-line and LB's an advantage when they can move around and get into different spots. The 4-3 will present more opportunities for Seymour as well, who has had a nice bounceback year and is difficult to keep out of the backfield when not doubled. In order to get more pash rush we need to see more 4-3 because I haven't seen many blitzes dialed up this season due to not wanting to leave the CB's on an island. 4-3 will free up Big Sey and Jarvis Green to get into more one-on-one situations.

I agree that switching from time to time is a great idea and they have been known to do that - but Warren has to be healthy - and he hasn't been.

Maybe it will happen this weekend:
ESPN - John Clayton Blog

Pats go back: The Patriots are banged up in the front seven, which is why they signed linebacker Rosevelt Colvin Wednesday. Adalius Thomas is out with a fractured forearm. Linebacker Pierre Woods has a jaw injury, and that might keep him out indefinitely. Defensive end Ty Warren has a groin injury and might be out for a while. It's not out of the question for the Patriots to play more 4-3 than 3-4 because they are down two linebackers.

I don't like the Warren comment,
has a groin injury and might be out for a while

Also, I hope Woods doesn't have a broken jaw. That would probably keep him out the rest of the season.

Last edited:
I agree that switching from time to time is a great idea and they have been known to do that - but Warren has to be healthy - and he hasn't been.

You're right from a health prespective. He would play DT in a 4-3 so Wilfork and Seymour can do that but depth would be an issue with only 5 healthy DL so Adams would have to get the call up from the PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes