PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What are people's thoughts on Bruce Carter from NC??

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianPat'sFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
It was mention on Wednesdays night of Path to the Draft that Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina might be targeted by BB in the late second early third round. With his knee injury I would think he would start the season on the PUP list but with extra pick in the second and third rounds NE might take a shot. Mayock talk about BB taking a chance on Tate and Gronk and both paying off and getting a "discount on a good player". He does not fit the typical height requirement but I think would be a great addition from what I have seen of him.

It was mention on Wednesdays night of Path to the Draft that Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina might be targeted by BB in the late second early third round. With his knee injury I would think he would start the season on the PUP list but with extra pick in the second and third rounds NE might take a shot. Mayock talk about BB taking a chance on Tate and Gronk and both paying off and getting a "discount on a good player". He does not fit the typical height requirement but I think would be a great addition from what I have seen of him.

I heard that too !

I then thought, they have no idea what Belichick likes in a OLB.

Carter is far too small for what Belichick likes in a OLB.
Carter is 6'1' 1/2 and he weighs only 240 lbs.
His last playing weight was only 234.

He is a good player, but he does not fit the Belichick mold for OLB.

will be interesting to see how many and which NEP scouts / FO show up for NC's pro day next week with Carter, Quinn and the other talent who's names slip my mind at the moment. I would be surprised if it was only a regional NEP scout at the pro day.

Carter's lack of size is a concern. He doesn't fit the mold of what BB is looking for at OLB. I think Romeus would be a better gamble for a 'redshirt' prospect with an injury concern. We might take him anyways if he falls fairly late on the draft. Could be projected as a ST/coverage/rush backer for subpackages. Kind of like Alexander but more athletic?

As Joe noted, it's a case of overanalyzing. Carter was an excellent 4-3 OLB, if you look at the current NE roster the LBs who are closest to Carter are Mayo and Guyton. NE released Ty McKenzie last year who was another 4-3 OLB after he struggled making the transition. BB may be willing to wait on a talented player rehabbing an injury, but the player needs to have a place to use his talents and I don't see where a healthy Carter in 2012 makes the team better at any position.

Square peg, meet round hole. I wouldn't consider him before the 7th. I would actually rather have Dontay Moch, who I believe is an inch shorter.

i think he could be a pretty good OLB with the bucs or colts but he dose not fit any 3-4 system in the NFL as a OLB i think like BOX said he would a wast of a pick like McKenzie was

I think NFL network said it was a bad ACL injury which means he may lose that first step explosion when he comes back.

Carter looks a little like Jerod Mayo to me, only slightly more high-cut. He could definitely play the Gary Guyton/Roman Phifer role in a 3-4. I don't see why there wouldn't be room for someone like him on the team, assuming he recovers.

Carter's lack of size is a concern. He doesn't fit the mold of what BB is looking for at OLB. I think Romeus would be a better gamble for a 'redshirt' prospect with an injury concern. We might take him anyways if he falls fairly late on the draft. Could be projected as a ST/coverage/rush backer for subpackages. Kind of like Alexander but more athletic?

Excellent Post! I agree entirely on Romeus. He was a top ten prospect and when he went down in 2010 Sheard took the spotlight but Romeus was bigger and better without character issues. I would red shirt Romeus like he was another first rounder in 2012.
DW Toys

Just as Cunningham was my Binkie last year Carter is this year. I see his value as a high ST luxury pick and at 60 I think he is worth a shot. He certainly isnt the prototype as most here will agree, but I think one thing that has missing on the defense is athleticism. Tweeners. The last one I can remember was Tedy and he worked out OK. He has value, the question is where it lies in BBs eyes. Do you think BB would have valued Izzo at pick 60 knowing his ST value? I say yes. I mean he drafted SLATER in the 5th, and he isnt half the player Carter could be. Yes other teams might value him higher, but do they have the picks or more importantly more pressing issues? Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back