PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a waste!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't get it, do you? This team was immortal the moment it stepped on the field last night. As the years go by, as team after team chases a perfect season but never attains it, the story of what the 2007/08 Patriots accomplished will ever be told. The story won't be that they are a bunch of losers who couldn't close the deal. The story will be of how great they were to get that far. As Junior put it, they are "part of ever."

Of course, of course, a win last night would have been beyond fantastic. But, it did not happen. We are all in pain over that fact this morning. But, make no mistake about it. This will be remembered as a great team that achieved greatly before falling short.

Don't get it?

Yes we will be forever in infamy, but for all the wrong reasons. This 2007 squad, as unfair as it may seem will forever take a spot next to the 4 straight Super Bowl losing Bills and the USSR hockey squad.

Stadiums will forever be filled with 18-1 signs and chants like so much 1918. This will forever be the most traumatizing lost in franchise history that will never be topped, there's is no sugar coating it. As I said, we had an amazing 6 month climb to the top of mount Everest, then fell right ******* off while attempting to grab the top.

This team will forever be remembered as the team that couldn't close the deal, the prime example of this as well. "You've come this far, don't pull a '07 Pats!" will now become a common sports reference.

Again, we all still love and support our Pats and suggesting anything else is just uncalled for. But I am not going to try to make myself feel better at this moment, I'll need my week of mourning, then I'll be looking to the draft and reloading in April.

I hate it when the only worthwhile post in a thread is from a Chargers troll...

Not sure if they were overconfident or burnt out on the hype and pressure or just so overmatched up front they too were stunned to overcome it. But they certainly lacked intensity at the outset. The D began to step it up after that first series, and it was bad bounces and failure to capitalize on opportunities that did them in. And a piss poor defensive call when it mattered most. They shut down the run, and then let Eli beat them on the last series. The O never recovered from being biatch slapped. The Giants blitzed on about a third of their snaps, but it was the fact that our Oline couldn't even handle the stardard 4 man rush that killed us. They eeked out a drive in the first quarter due mostly to Maroney's lone good return, and only managed one other one courtesty of a 12 man gaff by the Giants in the 4th. In between that Brady nearly got killed. He had little to no time and the only players who stepped up were Welker and Faulk. Watson might as well be lumped in with the Oline since all he did was rack up a pair of penalties to match the pro bowl fraud Light. Sometimes that's survivable, but not on a night when the entire line scuffles facing an excellent front 4.

But no way it was a waste, and those who can't see that are nothing more than frontrunning fans. Like Junior and Rodney and Brady said last night, the journey was still pretty incredible and thoroughly enjoyable, and the lesson to be learned as fans is to enjoy that journey since winning it all is never a given.

I just think it's time to get back to our roots, and that needs to start with the players on the LOS. As bad as I felt, it was somehow less upsetting than last year when a woefully undermanned team got out to an 18 point lead over the Colts with only the Bears to follow. The underdog Giants deserved this win as much as we deserved our first in 2001. And as many almost turnovers as we forced last night that just wouldn't bounce our way, it's as if the football gods said just not meant to happen.

it's a waste. I could not believe that we did not achieve our goal when we had 2 week preparation.

only 2 TDs.? I stopped doing everything yesterday so that i could watch this game on a new HDTV Sony. What I saw was horrible. What a big disappointment.!

Last edited:
Don't get it?

Yes we will be forever in infamy, but for all the wrong reasons. This 2007 squad, as unfair as it may seem will forever take a spot next to the 4 straight Super Bowl losing Bills and the USSR hockey squad.

Stadiums will forever be filled with 18-1 signs and chants like so much 1918. This will forever be the most traumatizing lost in franchise history that will never be topped, there's is no sugar coating it. As I said, we had an amazing 6 month climb to the top of mount Everest, then fell right ******* off while attempting to grab the top.

This team will forever be remembered as the team that couldn't close the deal, the prime example of this as well. "You've come this far, don't pull a '07 Pats!" will now become a common sports reference.

Again, we all still love and support our Pats and suggesting anything else is just uncalled for. But I am not going to try to make myself feel better at this moment, I'll need my week of mourning, then I'll be looking to the draft and reloading in April.

Oh, please. When these other teams get even close to 18 in a row as well as all the media backlash and sabotage then they can blab about "pulling an 07 Pats."

As time as passed, intelligent people have come to realize just how remarkable 4 straight trips to the SB was for Buffalo, btw.

I'm not here to argue with anyone, the last thing I feel like doing right now.

I'm pissed, I will be for a while. Already said in my initial post I didn't agree with the original post but can relate to the feelings being expressed in here.

I'm not here to argue with anyone, the last thing I feel like doing right now.

I'm pissed, I will be for a while. Already said in my initial post I didn't agree with the original post but can relate to the feelings being expressed in here.

I don't want to argue either. You guys are the only people I feel like talking to at the moment.

We're all pissed. This back and forth eventually will be cathartic.

Oh, please. When these other teams get even close to 18 in a row as well as all the media backlash and sabotage then they can blab about "pulling an 07 Pats."

As time as passed, intelligent people have come to realize just how remarkable 4 straight trips to the SB was for Buffalo, btw.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

I think we just have to give people a lot of slack for things they are saying this morning. We're all very upset and I kicked a Giants fan out of my apartment last night, injuring a friendship.

I think I'm going to go take a nice long bath.

it's a waste. I could not believe that we did not achieve our goal when we had 2 week preparation.

only 2 TDs.? I stopped doing everything yesterday so that i could watch this game on a new HDTV Sony. What I saw was horrible. What a big disappointment.!

Post like these are the ones that kill me. They stopped doing everything last March so they could play in that game last night. Along the way they won 18 in a row. Sorry they disappointed you, but at least you have a new HDTV to comfort you...:rolleyes:

I am a Colts fan and have witnessed my team choke and it was bad. But the choke job by the Patriots last night tops all Colt choke jobs.
It was great to see the Patriots get punched in the mouth. This next few weeks should be fun as cheatergate begins to rumble.
Watching the Colts win the SB last year was only marginally better than watching the Patriots ket the snot knocked out of them. GREAT!

I don't want to argue either. You guys are the only people I feel like talking to at the moment.

We're all pissed. This back and forth eventually will be cathartic.

you are 100% correct. this is the ONLY place I'm coming. i'm throwing out the newspapers. i'm not watching TV. i'm trying to heal by working my feelings out among friends with whom i sometime disagree, but with an emphasis on "among friends."

I think I'm going to go take a nice long bath.

great idea. if it wouldn't sound weird, i'd say something like "i'm gonna join you in that." i will, however, have an adult beverage after work today.

Post like these are the ones that kill me. They stopped doing everything last March so they could play in that game last night. Along the way they won 18 in a row. Sorry they disappointed you, but at least you have a new HDTV to comfort you...:rolleyes:

Sorry or apology is what a loser does. With so many weapons in our O and 2 week preparation and #1 ranked O in NFL and best coach +QB, we only scored 2 TDs in a game. It was an insult and i don't find any comfort at all when we lost last game.

When i watched this game, i immediately remember our games with jet and dolphins and fans like you were happy because 'pats can win in a close game'. Remember.?

yesterday game was a close game but we did not win. So long sucker.!

There's nothing to be ashamed of when you play your guts out. I just wish the OL would have played better - even remotely better - and the defense could have played to their usual high level of clutch-ness at the end.

The year wasn't a waste, even if it feels like it because of the devastation of the loss.

Like the AFC championship game loss last year, this game is not meaningless. There are two ways you can deal with it. You can cry about it and feel sorry for yourself, or you can use at as a motivating fuel to light a fire toward a better season.

I seriously wonder what psychological effect this will have on the team next year.

I had the same question. Does this tragedy send several into retirement or does if fire them up or motivate some the key parts (Moss) to re-up at a favorable salary.

There is no "wait until next year". If the Pats had lost even once during the year the empty feeling wouldnt be as bad.

As bad as we feel, the players, coaches, management feels 10,000 times worse................

Do they, really?

I find it impossible to believe that any of them feels 10K, 1K, 100, 10 or even just as badly as I do, and will, forever.

that close to being in the history books = yeah its a suckerpunch especially the way the Offense played. Being AFC champion to me is a little bit of comfort (tiny bit), remember not too many fans of other teams can even fathom having a Conference champion!
To ones thinking how will the players/coaches psyches be affected: the PATS especially always throw away the past - if not , after the losing to the Colts in AFCC last year, they should of tanked & not get into the SB!!!??? right?!! U know Brady is going to be hungrier than ever & a lot of the other veterans too...
So come on real PATS fans think of the is:

* from SB XXXVI - XXXIX = PATS win 3 out of 4 SB CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!
** From XL - XLII = For the last 3 YEARS, we had one bad game (no doubt the better team won) when it counted - playoff lost in Denver 27-13.
b) Last year we lose by 3 points / 1 firstdown away from the SB to the Colts with inferior (sh*tty really) WRs! In the Dome!
c) We lose only in the SB (undefeated all year) by 3 points on a last minute / unbelievable plays (lucky you might say) to the Gmen.

Thats 3 SEASONS & we were only 'stomped' on once when it counted! This team is UNBELIEVABLE! It should show that sometimes you need the bounces / QB escapes / etc.. to win it. Sometimes football isn't won with predictable execution and that practically uncontrollable variables (no QB in the grasp called / pulling the fumble away from defender) will possibly happen in the big game to decide it! We were the beneficiary end of that last year in SD for the playoffs but this year we were on the other side of the coin (wrong side) so you got to deal with it....this is a waste only cuzwe're spoiled & now act like Spankee fans back in the day who believe World Series trophies is their right!

I can't wait till next season!!!! LET's GO PATS!

like most of you, i am in great pain over last night's game. i turned off the TV after BB shook Coughlin's hand. i could not sleep last night. i threw away this morning's papers before even looking at them. i haven't watched any sports TV today.

however, i cannot believe the negativity of some of these posts. the only people who can say that this season was a "waste" are the guys who laced 'em up and stepped between the white lines in Glendale yesterday. and, i would bet real money that none of them will say that this season was a waste after the emotion of losing subsides over the next few weeks.

this was a terribly painful loss of a championship game by an undefeated, three-time recent champion. it was the loss of an opportunity to do what no team had ever done. that kind of loss is not a waste in itself and certainly transforms nothing associated with it into a "waste."

the pats lost yesterday in one of the greatest games ever played in the history of the NFL.

people don't think first of who won the 1958 Colts-Giants NFL Championship Game, they don't think first of who won The 1967 Ice Bowl between the Cowboys and Pack, first they remember those games and what they meant and how great the champions were who played in them.

that is what the nfl and its greatest franchises are all about. we are one of those franchises.

if you love this game and it's history, you understand what that means. if you don't, if you hopped on the bandwagon back in 2001, if you stuck around "despite" the loss to Indy last year but are now trash-talking the team you claimed to love, i have no time for you.

agree 100%

like i said before, this forum is embarassing sometimes.

after the game, the only knee jerk reaction i had was "maybe josh mcdaniels and bill belichick were a little too overconfident", which i still think is the truth.

that can be fixed.

I feel the same way, a total wast of a great season, which I doubt will ever replicate. I also think maybe BB was reading to many of the press clippings proclaiming him a genious. I hope this loss cured him of that if its the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes