PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker out for the rest of the regular season due to concussions

RIpats88

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Just saw on ESPN...his last concussion must jave been bad if he cant even practice.

Ohhh no, that's horrible news...

Obviously take care of urself off the field first, worry about the game after

Pretty misleading title

He's out for the Broncos next 2 games against 2 joke teams. That's all.

Pretty misleading title

This. He's out for the rest of the REGULAR season. He's not on IR or anything.

That's truly awful. Best wishes go out to Wes that he can be Ok. He's such a warrior and has been a great football player. But life comes first.

I'm also worried about Nate Solder. The concussion situation in the NFL is not something to be trifled with by folks sitting behind computers. This is life.

On another point, the Ridley fumbling problem, I believe, may be directly related to the horrific head shot/concussion he incurred in the AFCCG last year. I literally had to walk away from the TV when it happened, it sickened me. I'm not so sure fear is not an element in the fumbling problem for him - - and I would COMPLETELY understand if it was. I love football, but the concussion situation truly gives me pause. Hopefully, there will be some sort of answer, like a soft helment. I really don't know.

The Dude has taken some monster shots in his career.

Re: OT welker out for the rest of the season with concussions

Sorry to see that. Welker was one of my favorite players when he was here. Not good that he is missing any time for a second concussion in a month.

I hope he is back for the playoffs. I want to see the Broncos crash and burn and see a lot of Manning face, but not at the expense of Welker's health.

The fact that he is being shut down for the regular season (even if the Broncos are playing two bad teams) for concussions is very concerning. I think the NFL is rightfully being over-cautious with concussions these days, but any concussion you suffer where you can't be cleared for practice the following week raises some real concerns about any long term damage.

Pretty misleading title

Let's not act like this is nothing. The guy couldn't get cleared last week or this week by a neurologist. That is a pretty big deal. That means he is still probably experiencing concussion symptom.

They may be shutting him down for a precaution, but it could be that they don't expect to clear him next week either which brings to doubt his availability in the playoffs.

Let's not act like this is nothing. The guy couldn't get cleared last week or this week by a neurologist. That is a pretty big deal. That means he is still probably experiencing concussion symptom.

They may be shutting him down for a precaution, but it could be that they don't expect to clear him next week either which brings to doubt his availability in the playoffs.

I never said it wasn't a big deal, I was commenting on the title which was inaccurate

During Welker's initial concussion test, they asked him if he knew where he was. He said he was in a snow globe in a dollar store and lizards were eating his legs, but didn't want to shower for fear of missing the second half. That's when they knew they had to shut him down for a while.

Another Peyton slot WR with concussion issues? Sounds like the QB is the problem.

Makes you wonder if he'll ever be Wes on the field again, considering he will be 33 next year and has a concussion history. I hope he thinks about the long term consequences of playing now.

That said, I'll take the 28 year old breakout Minitron over a 33 year old Wes in 2014 every time.

So he'll basically have one month off before he potentially plays again.

Why does it seem every slot receiver who plays with manning ends up getting concussions? Gonzalez, collie and now welker

Welker shut down for the rest of the regular season

per D&C this morning. It looks like he couldn't pass the concussion tests.

Message to Free Agent WRs: You can catch passes from Brady, who will always try to lead you away from monster hits. Or you can catch passes from Peyton who will hang you out to dry. While he takes all the credit.

IMO opinion Welker is one of the toughest guys to put on a Pats jersey in the years I have watched the team (and that is getting to be quite a few)

I have also always thought Welker played through more than one concusion when he was on the Pats (I also think that may have factored in the decision as to why he now plays elsewhere). As a fan of the game I appreciate how he plays no matter where he is, but I do have some concerns about the guys long term health...

Another Peyton slot WR with concussion issues? Sounds like the QB is the problem.

He definitely is. He had zero business putting Welker in that position. I saw that hit. Pollard was closing in fast and it was obvious Welker was going to get injured either way. It's actually a good thing Welker was going down. If he wasn't, the hit could have been even worse than it was. He'll be back by the playoffs.

I can't imagine how bad he must feel. Godspeed WWW.

Once you start getting them, the next ones are worse, and easier to have. Personally, I'd rather see him just shut it down, and know his kids names in 10 years....

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back