PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker, MVP candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might be the Patriots' MVP, but he's not the league MVP. If I had to vote for a WR to be league MVP, it would be Andre Johnson. He is the Texans, which might not be saying much, but he's the difference between 2-14 and 8-8. That's quite a bit. I might trade Welker and Moss for him.

Its a good thing you dont get to make those calls bub.

Welker has been responsible for 51 First Downs, which is an important stat. Half of his catches yield first downs, which to me, sounds very good for a slot guy, and a guy who also gets a lot of passes at the LOS.

The Moss comparison was intended to show his point production and yardage, despite having far fewer catches than Welker currently has. You have to acknowledge what Welker does in moving the chains, but I was speaking from an NFL MVP point of few, not team production. From past winners and competitors, point production and yardage are huge. Welker does not have that despite all his positive contributions. He is probably also considered disciplined and a hard worker, not a physical freak that terrifies opposing teams. That idea that you cannot stop but can only hope to contain the damage a player does skews defenses and makes them vulnerable to attack by supporting players. With Moss posing that type of threat, it is tough for Welker to say he would be as productive without Moss on the team.

Welker and Moss have individual characteristics that pose problems for defenses. Their skills are complimentary to each other, and each benefits from having the other on the field. I would not attempt to characterize one as more valuable than the other as each plays his specific role in the passing attack. Moss cannot do what Welker does for the team, and Welker cannot do what Moss does for the team.

Take either off the offense and I would bet the farm neither performs as well. I would not generally call one more valuable than the other as an asset, but this year Welker carried the team in at least one game, meaning the Pats would not be in the playoff picture without him and therefore, under the circumstances this season with Cassel at QB, I would label him more valuable than Moss. With Brady and the long passing game as it was last year, it was Moss.

Last edited:
[/I]

Its a good thing you dont get to make those calls bub.

Have you ever seen Andre Johnson play? The guy is as good as Moss was in his prime.

He might be the Patriots' MVP, but he's not the league MVP. If I had to vote for a WR to be league MVP, it would be Andre Johnson. He is the Texans, which might not be saying much, but he's the difference between 2-14 and 8-8. That's quite a bit. I might trade Welker and Moss for him.

You might want to find out which are the drug masking agents, just in case they start testing at work.....

Last edited:
Wes Welker is definitely the Patriots' MVP, with all due respect to Matt Cassel. With the lack of running game...

Sorry, don't mean to single you out or anything, and I don't mean to go off topic but the Patriots are on pace to have the team's highest rushing season since the 80's.

Just like the pro-bowl is a popularity contest, so is getting MVP. Welker is a workhorse, but he doesn't do the flashy things that get that MVP on TV throughout the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News