PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're on to the 3-4 Chargers (and they're on a roll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
We're on to the Chargers

Usually I would say we are on to Los Angeles but that could mean 2 teams right now.

So I have seen a little from the chargers this year but not very much so i made it a point to watch a fair amount of the Chargers/Broncos game this week. These are the next opponents after all.

A few things that stuck out to me I didn't notice before were how much their OL has improved particularly in pass blocking. They don't tend to get a lot of run blocking push but they are fairly consistent there. Their pass blocking has been really good this year with Rivers being sacked a mere 7 times in 7 games. Yes part of it is him but the OL really has done well. On offense they have a bunch of good weapons. Of course Allen is the first name that jumps out but personally I feel he has lost something. Maybe he needs a full year just to be healthy but he doesn't come off as a scary force he would have been years ago had he been healthy. Gorden is their workhorse back who is great for short yardage and their finisher when it comes to drives. He is likely falling forward more than not. However he doesn't seem to be explosive. He reminds me a bit of Blount but can catch better. A guy to respect but you don't need to fear. Williams and Hunter Henry (TE) are their next most important targets but neither worries me. The guy who perhaps worries me the most is Travis Benjamin who is their 5th target but does punts and kick offs. The kid can be a game breaker if given a chance. He is like Dorsett for the Pats but more versatile in the ways he can hurt you and he will be given more chances. However they don't have any one player you need to overly fear. For all the things they seem to have going for this offense they don't tend to score much. Part I think is Rivers just not being what he use to be and lack of big offensive plays.

On defense they have a fairly solid unit starting with their potent defensive line and pass rushers. Bosa/Ingram are a great duo who make big flashy plays. They have good depth behind them though. Luiget use to be one of my fav pass rushing DTs but seems to have quieted down. Chris McCain is having a good year so far but seems to have come out of no where. While they have speed and pass rush to spare they did it by going overly light. They lack heavy talent and that is why they are one of the worst run defending fronts in football. Their CB play is okay with Hayward being the big name there but from just a quick look and the little i know i don't respect their safeties much or other CBs. I think they have been covered for more by a great pass rush that invites teams to run. Their pass yards per game allowed looks nice but they don't back it up with the quality play either by eyeball test or statistically.

Generally the key is make them score to beat us and take the run. Run and then play action pass. Challenge the DBs once you get around the pass rush and then on D just good solid all around play. It is unlikely the Pats get home much so just stop a stoppable run game and then don't let big plays happen. I think that is the best plan.

Our O line will be tested. Hopefully they can meet the challenge.

Just like the D, they seem to be getting better.

No Fouts or Aikman, hopefully.

Now that the team has righted the ship, games against the terrible AFCW will be a breeze.

Team X. Fear them.

I'm sure the Chargers' coaching staff will spend a lot of time this week scrutinizing last night's game tape to see what might be in store for them at Gillette.

I'm sure the Chargers' coaching staff will spend a lot of time this week scrutinizing last night's game tape to see what might be in store for them at Gillette.

"We're sorry guys but the All 22 and other recordings are unusable because of the fog and gun smoke."

"We're sorry guys but the All 22 and other recordings are unusable because of the fog and gun smoke."
Seriously, the game film is going to be a joke, except for the field level cameral behind the QB. I am sure Badell will launch an investigation into whether BB was able to order a cloud to descend onto Gillette at just the right moment. After all, I don't recall heavy fog being in the forecast, do you?

Chargers— should’ve won their first 2 games had it not been for the young FG kicker they released. They got off to a slow start. They’ve since won 3 in a row.

Just like any other team, there are weapons. Melvin Gordon is developing into a fine RB. Keenan Allen is always a physical threat. Rivers is an experienced, yet often unspectacular QB. We’ve most certainly seen much worse.

Bosa and Ingram are tough in the front seven. They also have a pro bowl CB, if I remember correctly.

Like most other games, we should win by 10+, but I don’t think they’re as bad as their 3-4 record, either.

Do not sleep on this LAC team. With a competent FG kicker they could easily be 6-1/5-2.
They could and should, at least be 4-3. That’s giving them one out of the two victories that they should’ve had.

not going to lie I am scared ****less of this team. probably going to lose by 17+

Maybe bill can showcase his snow machine lol. In all seriousness that D-line's very good. I been impressed with their defense. Finishing up 6-2 would be a huge victory considering how this team has had to gel early on.

Maybe bill can showcase his snow machine lol. In all seriousness that D-line's very good. I been impressed with their defense. Finishing up 6-2 would be a huge victory considering how this team has had to gel early on.
We could always get out the "unicorns and show ponies" headphones for their head coach...

We're on to the 3-4 Chargers (and they're on a roll)

Spent some time looking at the Chargers after they shut out the Broncos to climb to 3-4 after starting off 0-4. This is a team that is drinking the Kool-Aid that 1st-time Head Coach Anthony Lynn is ladling out.

Rivers is playing conservative, protect-the-ball football and doing it well. The Chargers' defense is fast. Joey Bosa may be the best defender in the AFC. They have great special teams.

See the sack of QB Simien at about the 7:00 minute mark of the video below. Flattened.

This smells like a trap game since the Chargers haven't been worth a damn for so long. The defense has to have another game of intensity and discipline, and the special teams have to be excellent in coverage.

Anthony Lynn Is Changing the Culture of the Chargers

On defense, the Patriots need to concentrate on stopping both the run and the pass while keeping points off the board.

On offense, I think it’s imperative that they try to score points on every drive and have positive plays both on the ground and through the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back