PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wells Report on Dolphins locker room: Incognito, others in 'pattern of harrassment'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wells Report on Dolphins locker room: Incognito, others in 'pattern of harrassmen

I have work really hard to empathize with why anyone would find the phrase "Ladies and Gentlemen" sexist.... but I believe it has to do with the constraints society expected of a "ladies" behavior and the consequences of women that strayed outside these expectations.

What you experienced is hardly unique in college life.. "ladies and gentlemen" has worked itself into being categorized as un-pc in many colleges... but like every corrective movement in socuety.. there are many over corrections.

While I applaud original thinking and the people that challenge the system.. no matter how "right" your defense of what I also consider to be an innocuous phrase.. your reply to your professors reaction was simply self-destructive, potentially passive aggressive and obstinant.

No matter the strength of truth on your side.. telling anyone that they are hypersensitive and irrational just lost you the argument.

50+JP99wallmaydotnet+2+Brilliant+quote+Sheldon+Cooper.jpg

I wouldn't call it passive aggressive, rather, it was straight up aggressive :p. But yeah, it was self destructive to some degree as I only ended up with a B in the class.

Re: Wells Report on Dolphins locker room: Incognito, others in 'pattern of harrassmen

Martin isn't a very good NFL player, I have little doubt about that. He's big, talented and smart, however, so I'd give him a chance to see if he can make it at guard if I was an NFL team.

It is supposition that Incognito is a psycho, but he's also gotten kicked off the team at Nebraska, Oregon, the St Louis Rams, the Bills and the Dolphins. Every team he's ever played for has decided that their most talented offensive lineman was not worth the trouble. He assaults women, he drinks far too much, he has been arrested for assault and kicked off teams for fighting with teammates, and he spews filth to his teammates in attempts to "toughen them up." He is a loser, both in the moral sense and, more relevantly, in the footballs sense. He has never played on a single team that was not a disappointment. The best team he played on was the 9-3 Huskers' team that got his coach fired. His entire NFL career his team has never had a winning record. He doesn't know how to win, he shouldn't be a team captain, and he should have no responsibility over younger players.

As for fights being broken up in practice, you're right there. But what about Marcus Williams, who Bill Romanowski punched in the face, shattering his orbital socket and ending his career right there? Richie Incognito is a 305 lb beast, and we are not really talking about fighting on the practice field, but rather in the locker room, where there are no pads or helmets, and where one punch to the face from someone as big and aggressive as Richie could end your career right there. Fighting him is a bad idea. The Dolphins are a bad team with a diseased culture. Martin's problem isn't that he's a sissy, it's that he's not a very good player right now. If he was out there doing his job at a high level, it wouldn't matter that he doesn't want to fight people.

I hope the kid gets another shot with a different team, and seeing as how he'll probably cost nothing, I wouldn't mind it being with the NEP. He has size and agility, and if he can learn to play guard he could be a real asset.

I keep seeing people bring up that the teams that he has been on have been losers, but so what ? You don't judge a lineman by the teams that he was on. IF that's the case, then Barry Sanders was a "loser in a football sense".

Like it or not, Incognito is one of the better offensive linemen in the NFL when it comes to on the field play. The last few years, he even cleaned up his act wrt personal fouls and other stupid penalties.

I'm not saying that he's a choirboy by any means, rather, I disagree that he is a psycho.

As for Martin, you'll probably disagree, but one of the things that is preventing him from being a good player IS that he is soft and also that he let's things get to him. He has a bad play, then that carries over to the next play, and the next. Then to the next game, and the next. Yada, yada, yada.

I wouldn't call it passive aggressive, rather, it was straight up aggressive :p. But yeah, it was self destructive to some degree as I only ended up with a B in the class.

Ha. Good for you.

.. and holy crap that image I posted is huge.. I apologize to everyone. It wasn't even close to being that obnoxiously over-sized when I posted it on my Kindle/Tapatalk.

I keep seeing people bring up that the teams that he has been on have been losers, but so what ? You don't judge a lineman by the teams that he was on. IF that's the case, then Barry Sanders was a "loser in a football sense".

Like it or not, Incognito is one of the better offensive linemen in the NFL when it comes to on the field play. The last few years, he even cleaned up his act wrt personal fouls and other stupid penalties.

I'm not saying that he's a choirboy by any means, rather, I disagree that he is a psycho.

As for Martin, you'll probably disagree, but one of the things that is preventing him from being a good player IS that he is soft and also that he let's things get to him. He has a bad play, then that carries over to the next play, and the next. Then to the next game, and the next. Yada, yada, yada.

But he won't become less soft by punching Richie Incognito. His nature will not change. That's what you're not understanding. Read the Schlereth article that's linked in this thread, you don't have to be a fighter to be a good lineman.

Barry Sanders played in an NFC title game and made the playoffs a few other times, so that's a pretty poor analogy. Incognito has spent his career being a detriment to his teams. He is a divisive locker room force. He has cut down on the penalties that used to outright cost his teams games, which is a loser move, but he's made up for that by alienating players that his team needs to be a good team. I'm saying that it's relevant that his teams have been losing teams and that he's been kicked off those teams because the teams have decided that he is hurting their cause. Thus, in football he has been a loser. Winners don't necessarily have to win the game, they just have to help their team. He has consistently not done that. He had a few good seasons with the Dolphins, all while going out of his way to make the environment toxic.

If your entire disagreement is in my choice of words, perhaps you're looking at the word in the Norman Bates sense. I'm not calling him a murderer.

"As a personality disorder, it is characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, diminished empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behavior." Check, check, check, check. I've read that one in ten males are psychopaths, so this is not the craziest assertion in the world. I'm no mental health professional, but it's not out of the question that he's a psychopath. You just don't like the word because you are associating it with someone wielding a knife.

This idiot closed his Twitter account after pleading for people to "Please stop the hate" because he was tired of getting bullied. The same account where he was using to say he'd be exonerated, and the same one where he said Jon Martin wanted to kill himself. Maybe it's that he's just never been bullied before. Or maybe he's a little soft.

Ha. Good for you.

.. and holy crap that image I posted is huge.. I apologize.

It looked very appropriately sized on my Kindle and Tapatalk.

Yeah, it is huge. Kind of messed up the layout of the page on this end, making it impossible to read your post. I had to copy it over to Word in order to see it :) All good though. I meant to remove it in my reply, but forgot to.

Thought some more about your post (and my reply) as I was eating dinner. Say that you are going to a pot luck and have to take a dish. Do you worry that some very small percentage of a random population (say less than 1%), might be allergic to a certain ingredient, such as milk and cater to that ? Take gluten for example. If you don't know who will be there, do you decide against making brownies since 1 out of 133 or so people are allergic to it ?

krist...I cook..damn good..pot luck? what am I, a bag Joker? I eat what I want to eat, if that bothers some phukkin' bubble boy allergic to air, it's not my problem.

But he won't become less soft by punching Richie Incognito. His nature will not change. That's what you're not understanding. Read the Schlereth article that's linked in this thread, you don't have to be a fighter to be a good lineman.

This is probably going to sound contradictory, or at least somewhat confusing, but I'll give it a shot anyways. That one will stand up for himself and perhaps fight when needed doesn't make a "fighter". Let's look at Schlereth's article for example.

so I turned and said "Enough," they responded with a few choice words for me and I made it clear in no uncertain terms that they crossed a line and I wasn't putting up with it.

So, the other guys had to stop because Schlereth wasn't going to put up with it. So, what was he going to do if they didn't stop ? The implicit threat of force is there. The willingness to stand up is also present. That doesn't make Schlereth a fighter.

Does that make sense ? (Ever had a situation where you know exactly what you want to convey, but no idea how to put it into words? :)

Barry Sanders played in an NFL title game and made the playoffs a few other times, so that's a pretty poor analogy. Incognito has spent his career being a detriment to his teams. He is a divisive locker room force. He has cut down on the penalties that used to outright cost his teams games, which is a loser move, but he's made up for that by alienating players that his team needs to be a good team. I'm saying that it's relevant that his teams have been losing teams and that he's been kicked off those teams because the teams have decided that he is hurting their cause. Thus, in football he has been a loser. Winners don't necessarily have to win the game, they just have to help their team. He has consistently not done that. He had a few good seasons with the Dolphins, all while going out of his way to make the environment toxic.

I'm guessing you meant to say a Conference title game ? While Detroit made it to the playoffs a number of times in Sander's 10 years there, the team's overall record was 78 - 82, a winning percentage of 48.75%. They were under .500 in 5 of the 10 years, and under .400 in 4 of those 10 years.

Point being that you don't measure most football players by how well their team(s) have done. QB's are probably the only exception, but even that is up for some debate.

Bringing it back to Incognito, that fact of the matter is that he is indeed a pretty good lineman when you look at his on the field play.

If your entire disagreement is in my choice of words, perhaps you're looking at the word in the Norman Bates sense. I'm not calling him a murderer.

"As a personality disorder, it is characterized by enduring antisocial behavior, diminished empathy and remorse, and disinhibited or bold behavior." Check, check, check, check. One in ten males are psychopaths, so this is not the craziest assertion in the world. I'm no mental health professional, but it's not out of the question that he's a psychopath. You just don't like the word because you are associating it with someone wielding a knife.

This idiot closed his Twitter account after pleading for people to "Please stop the hate" because he was tired of getting bullied. The same account where he was using to say he'd be exonerated, and the same one where he said Jon Martin wanted to kill himself. Maybe it's that he's just never been bullied before. Or maybe he's a little soft.

Even given the above, I think "psychopath" is a serious overstatement wrt Incognito. He has some issues that need to be addressed, to be sure.

That said, I'd be interested in reading your source of 1 in 10 males being psychopaths.

So, the other guys had to stop because Schlereth wasn't going to put up with it. So, what was he going to do if they didn't stop ? The implicit threat of force is there. The willingness to stand up is also present. That doesn't make Schlereth a fighter. There's also the possibility that Schlereth was respected for his play and for his leadership qualities, and the players on the team did not want to disappoint a leader

Does that make sense ? (Ever had a situation where you know exactly what you want to convey, but no idea how to put it into words? :) I know exactly what you mean here, this happens to me at times. I get what you're saying but I just don't think it would work with The Tornado given what we've learned about him

I'm guessing you meant to say a Conference title game ? I did mean that, i edited it pretty quickly because clearly he didn't play in the early 60s :) While Detroit made it to the playoffs a number of times in Sander's 10 years there, the team's overall record was 78 - 82, a winning percentage of 48.75%. They were under .500 in 5 of the 10 years, and under .400 in 4 of those 10 years. Point being that you don't measure most football players by how well their team(s) have done. Agree wholeheartedly but I think an extremely compelling case can be made that Incognito hurts his team more than he helps it, especially during the first part of his career with the Rams and Bills. His reputation now precedes him and he's more likely to be flagged on a borderline call, even if he has cleaned up his play in an effort to stay in the league.

Bringing it back to Incognito, that fact of the matter is that he is indeed a pretty good lineman when you look at his on the field play. I'll agree, but again I don't think he's worth the trouble, and every team he's ever played for agrees with me.

Even given the above, I think "psychopath" is a serious overstatement wrt Incognito. He has some issues that need to be addressed, to be sure. He's had those issues for well over a decade and has chosen to never address them, despite them costing him jobs and millions of dollars. Unless or until he does, and real change is noted, I'd not want him on my team in any capacity.

That said, I'd be interested in reading your source of 1 in 10 males being psychopaths. I hedged my bet by saying "I've read..." because the exact source escapes me, but if you look at Joker's reply, he links to an article. It estimates that 1% of the general population are psychopaths, not 1% of males, and estimates that 25% of the prison population are psychopaths. Richie Incognito has demonstrated quite a bit of criminal behavior in his lifetime that is documented. He is not in prison, and I'm not saying he ever will be. I didn't even mean to start a true medical discussion on the subject, I just used the word psycho to describe him and when pressed I realize he fits a lot of the definitions. My basic point is that I think Martin would have a hard time playing left tackle for most teams, but I don't think he'd have a hard time fitting in on most teams, because most teams do not have exceptional dirtballs like Incognito and Pouncey recognized as team leaders of the same unit. They are a true outlier in that capacity.

There's also the possibility that Schlereth was respected for his play and for his leadership qualities, and the players on the team did not want to disappoint a leader

I get what you're saying, but that's not the way it reads to me. The players involved mouthed off to him so he "made it clear in no uncertain terms that they crossed a line and I wasn't putting up with it."

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with what he did. Apparently, it was effective. The point is that it involved an implicit use of force.

I know exactly what you mean here, this happens to me at times. I get what you're saying but I just don't think it would work with The Tornado given what we've learned about him

It might have worked with Incognito, or it might not of. Just as important, it could have changed opinions with many others on the team, including guys on the Oline like Pouncey or Jerry.

Agree wholeheartedly but I think an extremely compelling case can be made that Incognito hurts his team more than he helps it, especially during the first part of his career with the Rams and Bills. His reputation now precedes him and he's more likely to be flagged on a borderline call, even if he has cleaned up his play in an effort to stay in the league.

What ? You think that Incognito was the cause of the Rams sucking ? Or the Bills ? Both teams sucked before he got there and after he left. I'm not trying to say that he didn't cause problems, but to lay the suckitude of those two teams at his feet is another vast overreach.

I'll agree, but again I don't think he's worth the trouble, and every team he's ever played for agrees with me.

FWIW, Buffalo only picked him up on waivers and he apparently wasn't real happy about it (this is from reading a Buffalo board. It's unclear whether they didn't want him, or if he didn't want to play there. )

Here's food for thought though. After being booted by the Rams and eventually signing with the Dolphins, he cleaned his act up on the field. Question. IF he isn't banned and IF another team picks him up, is it possible/probable that he learns a lesson here as well and changes >? I'll be that more than 1 team will take that risk.

He's had those issues for well over a decade and has chosen to never address them, despite them costing him jobs and millions of dollars. Unless or until he does, and real change is noted, I'd not want him on my team in any capacity.

Damn, really didn't plan on turning this into a "Defend Incognito and his career prospects" thread..... :p

Anyways, sometimes people have to be struck over the head repeatedly in order to learn a lesson. You now, they reach up, touch the stove and get burnt. Then they reach up and touch the stove again and again just to make sure. Finally it dawns on them that the stove is hot.

WRT Incognito, he learned that his on field antics cost him his job in St. Louis, so he cleaned up his on field play. I came across an article somewhere that talked about how he started seeing a psychologist or the like and started taking some medication when he went to the Dolphins.

I can easily see him going into his Dr's office and saying "Hey Doc, it looks like there's more stuff that i need to work on".

At any rate, I'd like to steer this back to discussing what was in the report and what happened in the locker room.

What ? You think that Incognito was the cause of the Rams sucking ? Or the Bills ? Both teams sucked before he got there and after he left. I'm not trying to say that he didn't cause problems, but to lay the suckitude of those two teams at his feet is another vast overreach.

Here's a vast overreach. The part that I wrote, that you directly quoted, says absolutely nothing of the sort. I said that a compelling case can be made that he hurt his team more than he helped it. That's me saying that he's the reason the Rams sucked? Are you nuts? I'm saying that for a long time he hurt his team more than he helped it. That is not even remotely close to the words you jammed into my keyboard. Not close at all.

He got cut in the middle of the season because he drew two fifteen yard penalties on the same drive that basically directly cost his team a chance to win. That doesn't mean the Rams sucked because of him, that means exactly what I wrote--that the Rams felt they were better off without him.

How you could quote what I wrote and then write, inches below, something that I didn't come within a ballpark of saying is frankly just bizarre to me. I didn't lay the suckitude of those two teams on Richie, you didn't even read what I wrote. What the?

If Bill and Nick and Bob decide that bringing in this loose cannon (new word choice!) is worth the risk, I'd grudgingly back him because in BB I trust. I find that very unlikely. But you've gotten to the point in this discussion where you're just making sheeit up, and that's frustrating.

Here's a vast overreach. The part that I wrote, that you directly quoted, says absolutely nothing of the sort. I said that a compelling case can be made that he hurt his team more than he helped it. That's me saying that he's the reason the Rams sucked? Are you nuts? I'm saying that for a long time he hurt his team more than he helped it. That is not even remotely close to the words you jammed into my keyboard. Not close at all.

He got cut in the middle of the season because he drew two fifteen yard penalties on the same drive that basically directly cost his team a chance to win. That doesn't mean the Rams sucked because of him, that means exactly what I wrote--that the Rams felt they were better off without him.

How you could quote what I wrote and then write, inches below, something that I didn't come within a ballpark of saying is frankly just bizarre to me. I didn't lay the suckitude of those two teams on Richie, you didn't even read what I wrote. What the?

If Bill and Nick and Bob decide that bringing in this loose cannon (new word choice!) is worth the risk, I'd grudgingly back him because in BB I trust. I find that very unlikely. But you've gotten to the point in this discussion where you're just making sheeit up, and that's frustrating.

Hercules, I guess the problem is that I don't look at single posts in isolation, rather, I reply to them in the context of the entire exchange.

Here is what you started out with:

He is a loser, both in the moral sense and, more relevantly, in the footballs sense. He has never played on a single team that was not a disappointment. The best team he played on was the 9-3 Huskers' team that got his coach fired. His entire NFL career his team has never had a winning record.

Then later, this:

Agree wholeheartedly but I think an extremely compelling case can be made that Incognito hurts his team more than he helps it, especially during the first part of his career with the Rams and Bills.

You might not have meant it, but it comes across as saying that Incognito has been the reason that these teams haven't had winning records. All I did was equate losing records with "suckitude".

If Incognito had been drafted by, or gone to a normally good team, and then that team fell apart, that would support your position to some degree.

But the fact is, the Rams and the Bills both sucked and would have sucked even if Incognito had not been there. They could have had the highest rated choirboy as a RT and it still wouldn't have given them a winning record.

Hercules, I guess the problem is that I don't look at single posts in isolation, rather, I reply to them in the context of the entire exchange.

But the fact is, the Rams and the Bills both sucked and would have sucked even if Incognito had not been there. They could have had the highest rated choirboy as a RT and it still wouldn't have given them a winning record.

It certainly would have made more sense to quote the "every team he's played on has a losing record" line if you were to make that inference, although I was making that point to show the following: he has never been in a winning culture at any point in his career, and has indeed contributed to losing cultures with his antics. This was brought up in my attempt to show why making him a team captain and asking him to shepherd young offensive lineman was a bad idea by Philbin. I was not placing the blame of those teams failures on him. I stand by the assertion that he is a talented guard, and that he has been a net negative for the vast majority of his career.

To the bolded part, we are in agreement here and the only way that a disagreement could be seen is through a strawman argument. Now that I have made my point clearer, I do not anticipate that.

It certainly would have made more sense to quote the "every team he's played on has a losing record" line if you were to make that inference, although I was making that point to show the following: he has never been in a winning culture at any point in his career, and has indeed contributed to losing cultures with his antics. This was brought up in my attempt to show why making him a team captain and asking him to shepherd young offensive lineman was a bad idea by Philbin. I was not placing the blame of those teams failures on him. I stand by the assertion that he is a talented guard, and that he has been a net negative for the vast majority of his career.

To the bolded part, we are in agreement here and the only way that a disagreement could be seen is through a strawman argument. Now that I have made my point clearer, I do not anticipate that.

I guess what we can agree on is that he has been in losing cultures, and that he has acted up in the past. How much, or even if the acting up contributed to the losing culture is pure speculation.

In short, you see causation, whereas I see nothing but correlation.

I guess what we can agree on is that he has been in losing cultures, and that he has acted up in the past. How much, or even if the acting up contributed to the losing culture is pure speculation.

In short, you see causation, whereas I see nothing but correlation.

It's certainly more correlation. It's hard to argue he helped any of those situations with his behavior, but I certainly don't think he hurt them enough to be the cause. You're reiterating something I already said I don't believe and never said. Saying "you see causation" is merely a dressed up way of repeating the line about laying the blame on him.

All I said was making him a captain and mentor is a bad idea considering he's spent most of his career acting like a stooge and never been in an environment that fostered winning. But, if you feel like misunderstanding me yet again, and asserting things for me while I do not assert them, that's fine. Carry on. I'll let you get back to arguing that one adult should have punched another in the face to solve their quarrel like an adult.

It's certainly more correlation. It's hard to argue he helped any of those situations with his behavior, but I certainly don't think he hurt them enough to be the cause. You're reiterating something I already said I don't believe and never said. Saying "you see causation" is merely a dressed up way of repeating the line about laying the blame on him.

All I said was making him a captain and mentor is a bad idea considering he's spent most of his career acting like a stooge and never been in an environment that fostered winning. But, if you feel like misunderstanding me yet again, and asserting things for me while I do not assert them, that's fine. Carry on. I'll let you get back to arguing that one adult should have punched another in the face to solve their quarrel like an adult.

Actually, what you initially said was that Incognito was a loser in a football sense and as evidence, you stated that "His entire NFL career his team has never had a winning record." I haven't misunderstood you at all.

WRT him being chosen as a member of the Leadership Council, you do know that was voted on by the players, right ? They elected the members. Additionally, Incognito had been with the team for 3 years and was entering his 4th when he was elected to the council.

Perhaps the rest of the players on the team had a much different view or opinion of Incognito than most outsiders do ?

Actually, what you initially said was that Incognito was a loser in a football sense and as evidence, you stated that "His entire NFL career his team has never had a winning record." I haven't misunderstood you at all.

He has been a loser in a football sense. The cold hard facts are his teams have never won and he has been kicked off nearly all of his teams. If getting kicked off of bad teams because your team no longer feels you can help them despite you being pretty good at football does not make you a loser in football, I have no idea what the hell could. What is NOT a cold hard fact is me placing the blame for those teams being bad on Incognito, as you continue to assert that I have. I have simply said he didn't help. You have not shown any evidence to contradict me, you have just repeated something that I did not write and continue to tell you I do not believe. I have no idea what you are trying to prove. It's obnoxious.

I know he got voted to the Leadership Council. The Dolphins are a stupid organization with a clown for a GM, and a clown for an owner. They are a broken team. They got rid of all of the quality veteran leaders on the team and were left with clowns like The Tornado to provide veteran leadership and it blew up in their faces. He's a 30 year old man who dresses up in Japanese headgear to mock and ridicule a team employee. He's a 30 year man who goes to team functions, representing the team he is on the Leadership Council for, and sexually assaults women while sheeit-faced, in public.

He is NOT the cause of his teams being bad. I have not and will not assert that. He is a loser in football, because he has consistently demonstrated that he wears out his welcome on bad teams. I don't care how good he is at pulling or trapping or pass protecting, he consistently gets told to get lost by bad teams even when he is among the most talented in their ranks. That is what I'm asserting. Please stop thinking otherwise.

I strongly considered just editing that down to say that I'm tapping out because I really don't want to play the last word game, I just know that I'm being misunderstood and wish to assert exactly what I mean. I'm going to try my hardest to be done now, I cannot believe I've set my own personal records to posts on a subject I really don't care about. I'd love for the Dolphins to bring Incognito back as a captain, I hate that team and wish nothing but mediocrity upon them.

I strongly considered just editing that down to say that I'm tapping out because I really don't want to play the last word game, I just know that I'm being misunderstood and wish to assert exactly what I mean. I'm going to try my hardest to be done now, I cannot believe I've set my own personal records to posts on a subject I really don't care about. I'd love for the Dolphins to bring Incognito back as a captain, I hate that team and wish nothing but mediocrity upon them.

Demo is just arguing strawmen because if he actually had to argue the real positions, he knows he owuld be seen as silly

And give him and Philbin nice long extensions to prove they stand behind them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes