PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New lockerroom conduct standards coming

In before Curly Bill gif!

The Goodell-as-Hitler image is funny. It was not designed, nor intended, to depict Roger Goodell as a genocidal maniac or in any way diminish the historical evil of Adolph Hitler. It is a SATIRICAL/FARCICAL commentary on the commissioner's overbearing, oft-dictatorial (so it seems) style of management. That is all. I swear, how some of you guys turned this into something to be "offended" about is political correctness at its most absurd. Arnold Schwarzenegger had a term for this -- "girly men."

:bricks:

The Goodell-as-Hitler image is funny. It was not designed, nor intended, to depict Roger Goodell as a genocidal maniac or in any way diminish the historical evil of Adolph Hitler. It is a SATIRICAL/FARCICAL commentary on the commissioner's overbearing, oft-dictatorial (so it seems) style of management. That is all. I swear, how some of you guys turned this into something to be "offended" about is political correctness at its most absurd. Arnold Schwarzenegger had a term for this -- "girly men."

:bricks:

Better watch out. Your post may be offensive to women. We have to be careful about the feelings and sensibilities of grown men and women, both in the NFL and on this forum, in this day in age.

Goodell as Hitler isn't really funny, but taking offense to it is pretty weird. I mean, how long have you people been internetting? Pretty much every internet discussion gets Godwinned at some point, it's just par for the course.

I do think that it's yet another reactionary, stupid move by a clueless, out-of-touch commissioner and a bunch of owners who think that we'll keep watching no matter what, so they care more about protecting themselves from lawsuits than keeping in mind why anyone actually watches football. In other words, they're in pure "don't **** with the golden goose" mode. This won't change until people actually start tuning out, and even then it probably won't change for years after that.

They probably think that we're going to stick around no matter what, and they might be right. But even if that's true, though, it'll be interesting to see what happens with the generation that's coming up now, who will be watching this sanitized version of football while their parents prohibit them from actually playing it.

It's kinda funny, because football became my #1 sport in part because baseball did a ton of crap to alienate young fans while I was growing up (1994 strike, steroid era, playoff games being played while I was asleep, glacial pace of the game getting worse by year, etc.). Football was the main beneficiary of the MLB's failure to appeal to young fans. I think it's fair to wonder if they're making the same mistakes. I'm already coming around to the idea that live hockey games might be more fun than live football games.

I do think that it's yet another reactionary, stupid move by a clueless, out-of-touch commissioner and a bunch of owners who think that we'll keep watching no matter what, so they care more about protecting themselves from lawsuits than keeping in mind why anyone actually watches football. In other words, they're in pure "don't **** with the golden goose" mode. This won't change until people actually start tuning out, and even then it probably won't change for years after that.

we are not exactly best buddies on this board. I argue with you about all kinds of Patriot minutiae all the time. On this I find I couldn't have said it any better if I tried for a hundred years. Below is a link, one of countless reports, from 2010...FOUR years ago. This article spells out WHY the NFL doesn't care about the fans, only what they can fleece the fans out of.

NFL Ticket Prices Rise While Attendance Drops: What Are Owners Thinking? | Bleacher Report

Staying at home is far cheaper today.Watching from home is quickly becoming far better. Ticket prices have never been higher. Concessions, parking rising drastically from year to year even. Goodell is no fan of US, the fans. He's the dictatorial potentate of the NFL empire and his will be done, screw you, me, our families and anybody else , including the players, who try to get in his way. For this he gets this blind adoration by the spawn of Neville Chamberlain.."LOOK! Look at how the Godell has made the billionaires more billionairy(sic)! He TOO deserves tens and tens of millions!!! Us fans should shut up and PAY!!!!"....I shudder to think of the response on this board if anyone ever posted a .jpg of Roger the Benevolent as one of the Koch brothers...or both. The Goodilettantes would go postal.

...Re: locker room conduct standards, no, I don't think this is some reflection of the increasingly ultra-PC and/or Orwellian world around us...

The conversation that was had that involved the peeing sitting down is the sort of joking conversation I've had almost word-for-word with friends on more than one occasion, yet it's somehow evil incarnate in this report. Ball busting with someone who's giving as well as taking is now bullying.

To me, that's a pretty clear sign that the report is a reflection of the PC values that have been forced down our throats by the left over the past decades.

we are not exactly best buddies on this board...
We aren't? I always thought we could pull off a buddy cop movie pretty well.

Also, re: attendance, I'm going to be attending my first Pats game in years this season when they come out to San Diego. I'm pretty amped, but I'm also trying to manage the expectations of my girlfriend and my buddy who's never been to a Pats game before. In a lot of ways the TV experience really is preferable, and I wouldn't be surprised if my buddy (a lifelong fan from New Hampshire who somehow has never been to a Pats game) outright doesn't enjoy it.

Should we now move on to such luminaries as Stalin, Mao and Pot?

Moving on to pot might not be a bad idea for you, Deus. Might mellow you out a bit. :D

Seriously, though -- why can't we just move on to where we don't feel the need to liken anyone with some authority who does something we don't like to a genocidal despot?

When done in earnest, it's just ridiculous divisive rhetoric. When done as a joke, it's just lazy, boring humor that's almost never actually funny.

Moving on to pot might not be a bad idea for you, Deus. Might mellow you out a bit. :D

Seriously, though -- why can't we just move on to where we don't feel the need to liken anyone with some authority who does something we don't like to a genocidal despot?

Because we continue to see people in authority who decide to act like little dictators in many ways, and comparing those people to Bob from 421 East Blue Street doesn't pack the same rhetorical punch.

When done in earnest, it's just ridiculous divisive rhetoric. When done as a joke, it's just lazy, boring humor that's almost never actually funny.

It's often funny, or at least successful in getting the point across.

Patsfans perpetually offended have lowered their threshold.
End Times!

Patsfans perpetually offended have lowered their threshold.
End Times!

40+ years of raising men to be women by teaching boys that everything masculine is bad has really started having a major impact on social issues.

The conversation that was had that involved the peeing sitting down is the sort of joking conversation I've had almost word-for-word with friends on more than one occasion, yet it's somehow evil incarnate in this report. Ball busting with someone who's giving as well as taking is now bullying.

To me, that's a pretty clear sign that the report is a reflection of the PC values that have been forced down our throats by the left over the past decades.

Come on, don't play dumb. You know very well that, on its own, the peeing sitting down comment wouldn't raise a single eyebrow. It's only included in the report as one (relatively minor) part of a systematic pattern of abusive behavior.

According to the excerpt from King's article in the OP, behavior like having the veterans "run kangaroo courts and fine peers $100 for especially stinky farts" will still be allowed, so the peeing sitting down stuff won't even be forbidden under the new conduct standards.

As for the reflection of PC values -- just because people's notions of appropriate and acceptable behavior have evolved over the years doesn't mean anything has been forced down their throats. Public opinion changes. Just because you don't agree with the new consensus doesn't mean that everyone who does now has somehow been brainwashed by "the left."

Come on, don't play dumb. You know very well that, on its own, the peeing sitting down comment wouldn't raise a single eyebrow. It's only included in the report as one (relatively minor) part of a systematic pattern of abusive behavior.

According to the excerpt from King's article in the OP, behavior like having the veterans "run kangaroo courts and fine peers $100 for especially stinky farts" will still be allowed, so the peeing sitting down stuff won't even be forbidden under the new conduct standards.

As for the reflection of PC values -- just because people's notions of appropriate and acceptable behavior have evolved over the years doesn't mean anything has been forced down their throats. Public opinion changes. Just because you don't agree with the new consensus doesn't mean that everyone who does now has somehow been brainwashed by "the left."

Pee sitting down is the implication that the other person is a sissy. You know, a "nancy boy". Which, coincidentally, is basically the gist of most the things Incognito was "found guilty" of in the Wells report.

Can't have guys saying stuff like that because it might hurt someone's feelings. Ergo, it will be banned and offenders will be punished for it.

As for your last paragraph, you seem to ignore that public opinion can be shaped over time, which is EXACTLY what Deus was talking about.

40+ years of raising men to be women by teaching boys that everything masculine is bad has really started having a major impact on social issues.

Looks like you're trying to hit on Glen Reynolds' wife

You didn't read the report, then?

Martin was not the only one subjected to hurtful treatment. Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey routinely mocked and demeaned other Dolphins
players and personnel.

Player A

Player A was a Dolphins offensive lineman. Like Martin, he is quiet and unassuming. During his time with the team, Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey frequently taunted Player A with homophobic insults. He often was called a “***” or a “******” in a demeaning tone. Incognito reportedly accused him of “sucking ****” and “pissing while sitting down” and asked him “where’s your boyfriend?”

Ahh, those PC buzzwords...

Yeah, it pretty much does mean that, actually.

Looks like you're trying to hit on Glen Reynolds' wife

Dr. Smith is decades late to the party. This stuff has been suppertime conversation at my home since the late 70's, early 80's.

Because we continue to see people in authority who decide to act like little dictators in many ways, and comparing those people to Bob from 421 East Blue Street doesn't pack the same rhetorical punch.

It's often funny, or at least successful in getting the point across.

Sure, if the point you're trying to get across is "I'm easily outraged and have no sense of proportion." All you do when you throw around Hitler comparisons is damage your own credibility.

As for the humor of Hitler jokes -- when they're actually funny, people don't tend to be offended by them. The Producers' Springtime For Hitler is really funny, ergo, nobody has a problem with it. Cats that look like Hitler is funny and adorable -- nobody is offended. Just photoshopping a mustache on the face of someone you don't like is just lazy, lame and tired. I find it more offensive as a comedy writer than I do as a Jew.

Sure, if the point you're trying to get across is "I'm easily outraged and have no sense of proportion." All you do when you throw around Hitler comparisons is damage your own credibility.

As for the humor of Hitler jokes -- when they're actually funny, people don't tend to be offended by them. The Producers' Springtime For Hitler is really funny, ergo, nobody has a problem with it. Cats that look like Hitler is funny and adorable -- nobody is offended. Just photoshopping a mustache on the face of someone you don't like is just lazy, lame and tired. I find it more offensive as a comedy writer than I do as a Jew.

Are you working on a new sketch or something ? Is that it ? Cause I'm rolling on the floor over here that somehow, people are "offended" by this.

Given that you're currently the one expressing outrage and/or offense, I'd say you've got this just about 180 degrees off.

People are offended by everything. You being offended over nothing right here is a pretty good example of that.

Pee sitting down is the implication that the other person is a sissy. You know, a "nancy boy". Which, coincidentally, is basically the gist of most the things Incognito was "found guilty" of in the Wells report.

Can't have guys saying stuff like that because it might hurt someone's feelings. Ergo, it will be banned and offenders will be punished for it.

As for your last paragraph, you seem to ignore that public opinion can be shaped over time, which is EXACTLY what Deus was talking about.

You didn't read the report, then?

Ahh, those PC buzzwords...

Yeah, it pretty much does mean that, actually.

So we shouldn't tell boys that "everything that's masculine is bad," but it's totally fine to tell people that being feminine and/or gay is bad?

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back