PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DW Toys Fifth annual Trade-A-Rama (4 rounds): Round 1, picks 1-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the effort. Wanted to talk about the Manning to Dallas thing since it's sorta the topic du jour. How do you see this acquisition working? Does Dallas trade Romo in the next week to make room for Manning? Does Manning sign and then they shop Romo for 60 cents on the dollar? What of the rumors that Manning likes the AFC over the NFC, as well as the talk that he's got no interest particularly in playing in the same division as his brother?

Also, regardless of who the Patriots would select in your trade scenario, I imagine a lot of folks would nearly pass out from delight if BB traded down so far while getting incredible value out of their QB development "industry."

I am making many assumptions because after all this is for entertainment purposes. Disagree if you prefer.

1-I am assuming that the Pats put a second round tender on Hoyer. The CAP price is higher but the trade award better if they get calls. The Hawks are not giving up a choice, just moving down in the first round and picking up a potential better bet than Jackson at QB AND a 2013 pick (4th? 5th?)pending Hoyers' starts.
In the end it could be third round tender for Hoyer, but it has been suggested two to scare some off?

2-I am assuming that the Boys make an effort to even go after Manning. Jerry has a 100,000 seat stadium he needs to fill. Romo is not a "healthy choice" either and only 3 years younger than Manning. What has he done for the last few years? He makes mistakes. Manning does not. Take away last year and Peyton has not missed games that we all know Romo will get dinged in 2012. It would be down right stupid for Jerry to not win this war with the fans passion and his ego. 2013 is Romos end of contract and he will have to deal with him then. Who know what the scale will be. How big of a story would Manning to the Boys and the extra picks from Romo to surround him are higher. With Whitten, Bryant, Austin and a decent run game....plus a DOME, they should be attractive to Peyton minus that "I don't want to play against my brother for a SB" crap.

3-I am assuming that Romos' last year finish creates a higher trade value for him.

4-I am assuming the Dolphins don't win the manning sweepstakes and Philbin goes after his familiar commodity in Flynn as the next prize.

5-I am assuming that the Seahawks are not attractive to Manning either. They need an upgrade over Jackson. The training and education of a Hoyer is superb, yet does not make any promises, but Flynn will demand more money as the Ultimate back up prize for a team and is there a remarkable upside for the Hawks with Flynn over Hoyer? Probably not.

6-I am predicting it makes more sense for Washington to go after RGIII because of their need of a QB, most of their offense is young to grow with him and the demographic in the town would embrace a great young African American QB and give him slack. If another high price FA comes in and busts, they will send Snyder out in a box. So anyway , they are out of the Manning sweepstakes plus cold weather and no DOME that the Boys can offer.

7-I am predicting the Cards do not want to pay the $7m bonus due Kolb next week. If Romo is available lets shoot the Boys a one and three and now shop Kolb. He is an upgrade over Kolb and more high profile for the Team. Fitzgerald and he might click very well thank you.

8-I am predicting the Jets need competition at QB. I feel a second rounder for Kolb makes sense and he will beat out Sanchez.

All of this is for fun but hopefully creates interest.
DW Toys

Last edited:
Why would Arizona not want to pay the $7 million to Kolb when they gave Kolb the money to be their starting QB? The only reason Kolb wasn't was because of injury. And injuries aren't predictable.

Also, you seem to overlook the cap hits that teams would take for some of your trades. Like for the Cowboys. How much is left on Romo's signing bonus and can they afford to trade him AND sign Manning? Especially after putting the Franchise tag on Spencer?

As for Ingram, the ONLY way he works for the Patriots is if they are going to stick with the 4-3. And, considering that they went to primarily the 3-4 during the 2nd half of the year and the play-offs, I highly doubt that the Pats make that move.

As for Fleener, he's not 1st round material. He's mid 2nd round. And there are others like him who can be had in the later rounds. Like Ladarius Green. Also, the Pats seem highly interested in Ike Ikgwenagu as a H-back type.

Now:
Rams - They have 2 young good OTs already. They need help on their interior line. They also need help at DE, DT, and CB.

Seahawks - Pete Carroll is a player's coach, but he's not a complete idiot. Why would he trade away the 12th overall for Hoyer and #27? Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Why would Arizona not want to pay the $7 million to Kolb when they gave Kolb the money to be their starting QB? The only reason Kolb wasn't was because of injury. And injuries aren't predictable.

Also, you seem to overlook the cap hits that teams would take for some of your trades. Like for the Cowboys. How much is left on Romo's signing bonus and can they afford to trade him AND sign Manning? Especially after putting the Franchise tag on Spencer?

As for Ingram, the ONLY way he works for the Patriots is if they are going to stick with the 4-3. And, considering that they went to primarily the 3-4 during the 2nd half of the year and the play-offs, I highly doubt that the Pats make that move.

As for Fleener, he's not 1st round material. He's mid 2nd round. And there are others like him who can be had in the later rounds. Like Ladarius Green. Also, the Pats seem highly interested in Ike Ikgwenagu as a H-back type.

Now:
Rams - They have 2 young good OTs already. They need help on their interior line. They also need help at DE, DT, and CB.

Seahawks - Pete Carroll is a player's coach, but he's not a complete idiot. Why would he trade away the 12th overall for Hoyer and #27? Makes no sense.
You are entitled to your opinion but understand that Kolb is due $7mm the 17th or the Cards can bail.

Just a minor point or two you did not pick up. If Hoyer gets a second round tender and as I noted, plus a 2013 Draft pick from the Pats pending starts, I disagree on the value of a move up. It might not BE the value the Hawks want to make a deal, but then I mentioned this was pure speculation.

Pro football Focus disagrees with you on your tackle evaluation on the Rams.

Secondary Need: Offensive Tackle

In recent drafts, the Rams have spent a couple of high picks on who they thought would be their right and left tackles for the next 10 years. Yet, as we’ve seen time and again, the draft really is a crapshoot. There are no guarantees and all you can hope for is that your picks develop into quality players. Jason Smith and Rodger Saffold are supposed to be the ones anchoring the offensive line, but instead they’ve been the ones sinking it. Over the past two seasons, Smith and Saffold have a combined grade of -50.0 and have given up 21 sacks and 86 quarterback pressures. Those numbers don’t include a full season for either of them in 2011, as they only managed 15 games total between them.

I think you can move Saffold to OG.

As far as Ingram goes, I am thinking LB, not DE. The steelers have a pretty good OLB that matches up with Ingram. Seems we had a #54 with about the same attributes at a MLB?

I have my opinion on Fleeners value. Brian Bilick says he is 37th on his board. ESPN draft gurus Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay came out Wednesday with version 3.0 of their 2012 NFL Mock Drafts. Amazingly, the two ESPN analysts agree on the selection for the New York Giants at No. 32 this April in the first round. They both have the Giants selecting Stanford tight end Coby Fleener. Fleener has been moving in many Mocks to the first round. That is what they are, just mocks. If your opinion is that Ike Ikgwenagu as a H-back type and you have specific knowledge that they are interested in Drafting him,“Te salute, Don Corleone.”. Hence first rounder for Fleener is realistic with me and my valid opinion I guess.

I appreciate the retort though.

I still say Jerry is crazy if he does not seek Manning!

DW Toys

Five years? Really?

Five years ago I promised I would stop all this draft stuff and get a life... I guess I should not make any more stupid promises.

Well done DW

Five years? Really?

Five years ago I promised I would stop all this draft stuff and get a life... I guess I should not make any more stupid promises.

Well done DW

THX,
Yep..5 years.
It is kind of therapy so when the Pats trade down and we are all disppointed, I have put more effort into that Draft class then they have....ha!
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye