PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker as an MVP candidate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuckeverlasting

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
just heard on espn radio

from some db radio host that welker is not mvp material. i have to preface this by saying he's probably a jets or giants fan (being on espn and all).i think his name is valvano. if this is true, is there something i'm missing ? for me, he's definetly in the conversation. what say you ?

Re: just heard on espn radio

It's the end of Week 4. As far as I am concerned, no one is in the MVP conversation.

that's Bob Valvano...ESPN chirpakeet...he does the 1-5 overnight...just trying to keep listeners...the mere mention of the word Brady drives thousands of frenzied green loons to jump out of bed and sleepily try to dial their TV remote control instead of the phone...

from some db radio host that welker is not mvp material. i have to preface this by saying he's probably a jets or giants fan (being on espn and all).i think his name is valvano. if this is true, is there something i'm missing ? for me, he's definetly in the conversation. what say you ?

If WW ends up with 160 or more catches, he will, very likely, win the MVP. Whether some or even many fans agree (or blowhards on the radio trying to get listeners) is immaterial. You don't shatter a record like total passes caught without getting the full attention of the MVP voters. With that said, it should be noted:
A) He will have to shatter it. Beating it by a handful won't cut it because his TD catch total and spectacular TV highlight plays probably won't be high.

B) If a QB has a great season and/or breaks a category like TD passes, or a RB has a crazy yardage total, or a defender ends up with a crazy sack total....they will probably get it before WW.

i say he's kinda Right Welker cant win the MVP because if he has anywhere near the type of season he's on pace for that would mean Brady brakes Dan Marino's passing yards record and makes Tom the lock for MVP just look at Moss in 2007

i say he's kinda Right Welker cant win the MVP because if he has anywhere near the type of season he's on pace for that would mean Brady brakes Dan Marino's passing yards record and makes Tom the lock for MVP just look at Moss in 2007

I don't doubt that real possibility. After checking the MVP list and seeing that QBs or RBs almost always win it, I suspect even shattering the record will not get WW the MVP.
Because WW does this with his small frame (by NFL standards) and that he does it over the middle (in harm's way), I do think he will have an outside shot if he shatters the record and TB puts up Oakland Raider type numbers (versus the stark Miami/SD numbers).

It's very unlikely Welker will get it. It is almost always a QB or a RB. Never in the history of the NFL has a WR been the league MVP.

Last edited:

that's Bob Valvano...ESPN chirpakeet...he does the 1-5 overnight...just trying to keep listeners...the mere mention of the word Brady drives thousands of frenzied green loons to jump out of bed and sleepily try to dial their TV remote control instead of the phone...

It is about being a contrarian.. see Felger and Borges.

We're 1/4th through the season...what success the Pats have had thus far is due to largely to Brady & Welker, the latter of which is truly on a historic run.

If Welker keeps up this pace to even 75%, and the Patriots continue to win, shouldn't he be in the conversation for MVP?

Wes the Great is not only one of the most consistent wide receivers in the NFL, he IS the top clutch wide receiver in the NFL. to boot.

Yes, he should receive immense consideration...but he would have to break every record in the book to get it, because MVPs are invariably quarterbacks and running backs.

God, the guy has just been unspeakably great for us--and with much less fanfare than he should receive.

He is definately the Patriots MVP.

Next game he will match his 2010 totals. lulz.

Last edited:
the amazing thing to me, is that at 30years old, wes has actually evolved as a player alot this year...

hes not only the "slot over the middle receiver" that he was when Moss was here...but is running alot of longer routes and is a big reason why brady leads the league in 20+yard throws this year(along with Gronkowski)...and you look at what he's doing and consider his height against most corners and its even more impressive IMO

I'm really suprised that Moss resigned here at the beging of the year...wait, people did say welker could only play good with moss right?

the amazing thing to me, is that at 30years old, wes has actually evolved as a player alot this year...

hes not only the "slot over the middle receiver" that he was when Moss was here...but is running alot of longer routes and is a big reason why brady leads the league in 20+yard throws this year(along with Gronkowski)...and you look at what he's doing and consider his height against most corners and its even more impressive IMO

Did anyone else notice that Welker got behind the coverage twice yesterday for sure TDs, or at least huge gains, but Brady overthrew him? So much for the slow white guy. Keep up the good work Wes. Unfortunately, he just isn't flashy enought for MVP, and as someone else pointed out, if Welker is having the season of his life, Brady is right there with him.

Did anyone else notice that Welker got behind the coverage twice yesterday for sure TDs, or at least huge gains, but Brady overthrew him? So much for the slow white guy. Keep up the good work Wes. Unfortunately, he just isn't flashy enought for MVP, and as someone else pointed out, if Welker is having the season of his life, Brady is right there with him.

its extremely tough to hit welker deep, because it has to be pretty close to the money, and because you have to get it over the tall defenders behind him....i hate it whenever brady throws deep to welker on a vertical, its usually an incompletion

hes an amazing WR, but that is not part of his game....now if you want to go to him deep, make him run a slant

I disagree.

To say that Welker is Brady's "go to guy" doesn't quite fully convey what Welker mean to this team when we're 1/4th of the way through the season and he's on pace for 160 catches.

(And when we say "on pace" I'm not sensing this is a statistical aberration. Defenses already know Brady's looking to Welker first and he's still averaging 10 catches a game.)

While we can all admit the Patriots chances of winning the Super Bowl without Brady is hovering around 0% I don't think it's a helluva lot higher if they lose Welker for the season either.

As far as comparisons with Moss - I could easilly see them winning a Super Bowl without Moss - but not without Welker with the current team configuration.

I would MUCH prefer that we saw other receivers earning more of Brady's trust, taking pressure and defensive attention off of Welker to make him more effective on critical downs. I felt the same way about too much attention going to Moss and Welker in 2007 and felt like that did eventually catch up with the team.

But just looking at the Patriots MVP race so far, after Brady it's Welker and it isn't even close - and if Welker goes out given the way the defense is playing, I'd not put a dime on the Patriots to win the Super Bowl.

Aaron Rodgers will be MVP. That much is obvious.

its extremely tough to hit welker deep, because it has to be pretty close to the money, and because you have to get it over the tall defenders behind him....i hate it whenever brady throws deep to welker on a vertical, its usually an incompletion

hes an amazing WR, but that is not part of his game....now if you want to go to him deep, make him run a slant

I agree. I think Brady's forced some deep throws to Welker in part just to try to keep defenses honest in Hernandez's absence (our defacto deep threat WR) and Ocho's lack of production.

I don't think they feel they have much a of choice - but most of Welker's longer pickups have still been a slant thrown 10-20 yards followed by his incredible ability to turn upfield and leave his defender in the dust.

Those plays I don't mind - the actual deep routes when Welker's covered by a much taller DB I'm not crazy about.

Aaron Rodgers will be MVP. That much is obvious.

Yeah - I'd go along with that too - but if Welker gets 160 catches he'll be in the discussion.

Rogers could then find himself a victim of having too much talent around him - whereas it would be clear where the Pats would be without Welker.

Rodgers hasn't exactly faced elite D's to the point. Unfortunately, their schedule is pretty damn easy in that regard, so his production will probably put Brady or Welker out of the MVP race at some point.

Fortunately, the Pats should have their sights set bigger than individual awards this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back