PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome Nate Washington

Status
Not open for further replies.
He will be 33 when the season starts...let's see if he is still effective and can learn the playbook/develop chemistry with Brady. I am skeptical but hopeful that he can be an adequate player. Skeptical just because almost every year we seem to get a veteran receiver who is just supposed to fill a role but ends up being a bust.

I really like this...the guy is productive with the garbage Houston QB's throwing to him, i think he could do well here.

Now if a top notch WR falls to us, he may struggle to latch on, but he could be productive I think.

Great pickup if he's cheap. He's still a burner. I assume if he played well for BOB he can probably play in this offense?

What does this say about Josh Gordon?
Im accepting the Patriots are drafting a receiver early maybe Braxton Miller I hope BB isnt the one picking him.
I think with our averages draft 3

The Patriots signed wide receiver Nate Washington, the team announced Thursday. Washington spent 2015 with the Houston Texans and caught 47 passes for 658 yards with four touchdowns last season.

The The 6-foot-1, 183-pound receiver visited the Patriots last week. Washington came into the NFL as an undrafted free agent out of Tiffin University with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2005. He has 458 career receptions for 6,954 yards and 44 touchdowns, and his best season came in 2011 with the Tennessee Titans, when he caught 74 passes for 1,023 yards with seven scores.

Washington, 32, likely will go into training camp competing for a role with other depth receivers on the Patriots’ roster. He also gives the Patriots insurance at the position if they decide to part ways with slot receiver Danny Amendola.

Read more at: Nate Washington Signs With Patriots, Adds Veteran Receiver Depth

Yippee.....he'll get 2 maybe 3 passes thrown to him a game...if he can become a #2 or #3 option when the inevitable gronkowski/edelman/amendola/lewis injuries happen I'll be excited, till then he better get on Brady's good side and gain his confidence...if he's anything more than bethel Johnson I'll be shocked

He has to be on a cheap contract so there really isn't any danger there. However, he's getting up there in age and had drop issues last season. He could very well not make it out of camp. We will see what happens.

Yippee.....he'll get 2 maybe 3 passes thrown to him a game...if he can become a #2 or #3 option when the inevitable gronkowski/edelman/amendola/lewis injuries happen I'll be excited, till then he better get on Brady's good side and gain his confidence...if he's anything more than bethel Johnson I'll be shocked

He's got less speed than Johnson, and is on the decline, but he's got more smarts. Unless he declines significantly this offseason, he'll be better than Bethel ever was.

Note to future WR's everywhere: burn BB's defense on national television on a couple plays and he will be all over you when you hit the market. :D
Old news.
I seem to recall a guy named Wes Welker did pretty well against the Pats when he was a 'Phin.
And didn't Hogan have his best games against the Pats when he was a Bill?

Really love this signing and was hoping they would do it for the last week or so. Gronk, Bennett and Edelman will be your top targets taking up all the coverage, leaving Washington (and/or Hogan) to clean up.

If you double Gronk, double Edelman, you're probably still leaving Bennett with just a single LB on him and Washington with a single CB on him... Oh and then there's that Dion Lewis guy...

Washington didn't have a great year last year, but he had arguably the worst QB situation in the league last year. Could be a big rebound for him.

Really love this signing and was hoping they would do it for the last week or so. Gronk, Bennett and Edelman will be your top targets taking up all the coverage, leaving Washington (and/or Hogan) to clean up.

If you double Gronk, double Edelman, you're probably still leaving Bennett with just a single LB on him and Washington with a single CB on him... Oh and then there's that Dion Lewis guy...
As long as this isn't in front of Brady, the offense should be awesome.
turnstyles.jpg

All we need from Washington is likely something in the realm of 30-40 catches for 500-600 yards all on the outside. That will likely be enough.

Gronk/Bennett - 2000 yards
Edelman 1000 yards
White/Lewis - 800 yards
Amendola/Hogan - 700 yards
Washington - 500 yards.

That gives you 5000 give or take so really that is all you need from your outside option. I wonder how this effects Martin who the fans and organization like. He was good for about 1 big play a game the 2nd half of last year.

If they draft a WR high, I would think the depth chart by the time the season arrived would be something like...

Edelman
Washington
Hogan
Martin
(Rookie)
Slater

Maybe one of Amendola or Dobson makes the team, but that would be a lot of WRs on the roster. Hogan can do a lot of the stuff Danny does, but even if Hogan is the third WR, Martin can also replace Danny at a much lower cost. I also don't see Dobson making it unless he beats out Washington, which would be a good thing.

Maybe they carry an extra receiver since they're developing a rookie, but I'm not sure. Chris Harper can also be the depth slot guy, too.

What receivers in this draft are freaks in the Moss,Gordon role?
Still would take a flier and trade a low pick for Justin Hunter just to kick the tires on a freak talent

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST