PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI.com: Wonderlic scores leaking out

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a wonderlic question: Where is the term "wonderlic" derived from?

IIRC BB's never been a huge fan of the Wonderlic, at least not as a means to an end, though he definitely wants players who can think on the fly and make intelligent situational decisions. I think he understands that that ability he so covets,especially in certain positions,isn't always accurately reflected by Wonderlic scores.

But as someone asked before, how did these scores get out in the first place:confused:

This subject comes up every Spring like crocuses. I don't have particularly strong feelings either way on wonderlic scores but it seems to me that almost anyone should score in the 20's at least.

Out of curiosity: Anyone remember what Mayo's was last year? Or Crable? Or, what the heck O'Connell? :confused:

Mayo - 26
O'Connell - 30
Crable - ?

I imagine any Inside linebacker with a high Wonderlic score would naturally want to avoid playing in a BB defense and be asked to bang heads with 300 pound guards on a regular basis. Maybe Rey is our guy after all.

I agree 100%. Anxiety, and nerves will def. affect your thought patterns.

IQ smarts and test scores do not always match up perfectly.

Maybe we should look at it as a test of how one thinks under pressure, not just an IQ test.
It's a good thing NFL players will never need to think under pressure.:rolleyes:

Maybe we should look at it as a test of how one thinks under pressure, not just an IQ test.
It's a good thing NFL players will never need to think under pressure.:rolleyes:

Different types of pressure can yield different types of results.

It depends on the position. A QB with a poor Wonderlic would raise red flags. Vince Young comes to mind.

IIRC, Vince Wilfork has an abysmal score, but the Pats took him and he worked out okay.

It depends on the position. A QB with a poor Wonderlic would raise red flags. Vince Young comes to mind.

IIRC, Vince Wilfork has an abysmal score, but the Pats took him and he worked out okay.

This is an interesting tidbit..... I wonderlic what Vince's score was!!

This is an interesting tidbit..... I wonderlic what Vince's score was!!

Interesting article on the Wonderlic [Archive] - The Official Bulletin Board of The Tampa Bay Buccaneers

But back to the first round and those wonderful Hurricanes. Six 'Canes were selected in the first round, which is remarkable. But in the order they were drafted, here are their Wonderlic scores from when they were tested at the NFL's Combine: 10-12-23-21-18-10. ('Canes fans could use this as your Lottery number. UCF fans will notice that you can't use 10 twice.)

Sean Taylor, free safety taken No. 5 by Washington, got a 10. This validates tight end Kellen Winslow Jr.'s rant about being passed over because, after all, he got a 12. Defensive tackle Vince Wilfork was Miami's other 10 and went to New England but may have trouble finding it on a map.

Clearly, nobody cares if these guys were not really "student-athletes." They play ball real good.

What about quarterbacks, class? Do you have to be bright to run an offense?

Apparently.

Eli Manning led all quarterbacks tested with a 39. Ohio State QB Craig Krenzel is a molecular genetics major -- and fell short of Eli with a 38. (Krenzel went in the fifth round to Chicago, where you only have to be smart enough to duck.)

Accounting for the other first-round QBs, J.P. Losman scored a 31, Philip Rivers got a 30 and Ben Roethlisberger got a 25, just qualifying to run a team -- even in Pittsburgh.

High score in the first round was not put up by Manning, the first player picked, but by Georgia TE Ben Watson, the last player picked by the New England Patriots in the first round, with a 41. Bet Watson and Wilfork will get along great.

Lost in all this discussion is how this information became public. I thought these were going to be confidential, with big-time discipline for anybody leaking them to the public after the Vince Young embarrassment. With the way Pompei wrote this article it made me think he had a printout of every player's score from the entire Combine.
According to PFT there is ONLY one hard copy per team given to one in teh front office...NOT like all the other results of the combine that go across the net....
As PFT says about the source... ProFootballTalk.com - Latest News and Rumors
"So, basically, Pompei’s source likely is someone who operates at a very high level with one of the teams — and who is willing to disregard the league’s clear directive to keep the information secret. (Alternatively, someone who operates at a very high level with one of the teams has not safeguarded the information, allowing someone at a lower level to get their mitts on the numbers. Or, possibly, the leaker is employed by the league office or the Combine.)"....
One wonders how it all got out.

Ben Watson got a 41? Well, if there was any doubt at all, we now know that it's not correlated in any way with ability to catch the ball.

Ben Watson got a 41? Well, if there was any doubt at all, we now know that it's not correlated in any way with ability to catch the ball.

Watson is actually a really bright guy. I believe he graduated with a 3.8 in economics. He's quite articulate, presents himself well and is pretty witty in addition.

That said, it may be a hinderance for him in catching the football. He seems to catch more difficult balls than easy balls. I think the reason behind this is that he has too much time to think. His mind starts rolling, thoughts get strung together and it dings off of his hands. It's my 'Why Smart People Suck at Baseball' theory. That's also why very bright guys excel at positions like linebacker and quarterback. There's no simple cognitive recognition going on and there's no opportunity for much thought so it prevents the overthink. It's exactly why a troglodyte like Manny Ramirez can hit the piss out of the baseball. It's see ball, hit ball. Very concrete. Complex minds often struggle with simple motor tasks.

OK...but are you arguing that BB places an emphasis on the Wonderlic in particular? Because he has spent top picks on players with astonishingly low Wonderlic scores on more than one occasion, and with fine results. It all depends on the position.

Well.

Bethel Johnson should a be glare.

It was obviously his talent, speed and potential upside that got him here (for a little bit).

Wonderlic is an interesting concept, but, the play on the field will warrant more of an impact imo...

(the big duh moment goes here)

What was Bethel Johnson's wonderlic? lol

HUH?

Watson is actually a really bright guy. I believe he graduated with a 3.8 in economics. He's quite articulate, presents himself well and is pretty witty in addition.

That said, it may be a hinderance for him in catching the football. He seems to catch more difficult balls than easy balls. I think the reason behind this is that he has too much time to think. His mind starts rolling, thoughts get strung together and it dings off of his hands. It's my 'Why Smart People Suck at Baseball' theory. That's also why very bright guys excel at positions like linebacker and quarterback. There's no simple cognitive recognition going on and there's no opportunity for much thought so it prevents the overthink. It's exactly why a troglodyte like Manny Ramirez can hit the piss out of the baseball. It's see ball, hit ball. Very concrete. Complex minds often struggle with simple motor tasks.

See, this is exactly what I'm saying...

Maybe he should drink the fluoridated koolaid... :rolleyes:

I imagine any Inside linebacker with a high Wonderlic score would naturally want to avoid playing in a BB defense and be asked to bang heads with 300 pound guards on a regular basis. Maybe Rey is our guy after all.

VERY valid point! I wonder what Ted Johnson score was before he came here and what it would be today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye