PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

we just had a super draft again

Status
Not open for further replies.
to the doubters this is merely year 2 of our rebuilding.

NEXT YEAR we target every defensive need DE OLB DL we get our rushers then

I bet 1000 bucks we get another dominant DB or S:D

1 DRAFT Away from complete DOMINATION:cool::cool::cool:

NFL here we come:D:D:D after Draft 2012 SB win in route:) I have foreseen this and it will be more than just 1
and this must be Off The Grids other account

I believe Faulk is of the Bruschi kind that he will retire as a Patriot and will never wear another NFL jersey,he is that type of player IMO,if that means the Pats have no room for him then I think he calls it quits,he could re-sign temporarily for a retirement scenario if he wants to go that route.

Brady on the other hand IMO will not retire as a Pat,I think by his late 30s and near the end of his current contract,he will head off elsewhere as the Pats go different ways,especially if Belichick has left.

If Brady wants to finish his career playing for the team he grew up routing for as a kid ( 49ers ) and playing on the west coast near his family, IMO, he has earned the right to do just that.

Some people "hated" this draft.....Nobody is calling you names...

Now go take a "time out" :)

If you go back and read my post you will see that I am one of the few who agreed with the OP and actually liked this draft. I was defending the rights of the other posters who disagreed with me and the OP, to share their opinions without having to be attacked.

Last edited:
for those scoring at home.....

2011 NEP draft got:

(from Rick Gosselins top 100 list)

13, Nate Solder OT Colorado
35, Marcus Cannon G TCU
40, Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
46, Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
68, Shane Vereen RB California
+
best blocking TE in draft
+
2012 first round pick
+
2012 second round pick

So....take a deep breath and step away from the bridge :p

p.s. and yes - I am sure that you there reading this would have done a better job drafting. :bricks:

I like this draft simply for the fact that we got Solder and Cannon. I trust Dante's ability to evaluate offensive lineman over the rest of the team's ability to evaluate anything else. If you look closely at his track record its really unbelievably good.

Yup
started with 5 picks in the top 75
ended with 5 players in the top 75, plus a 2012 1st and 2012 2nd

Just BTW, Gosselin also had Solder higher than Castonzo.
==========================================

The only "questionable" pick is Ridley at 73.

A) I would have preferred OG Rackley (56), OG Moffitt (76) or DE Bailey (58).
All were high values at 73 who met needs. My strong choice was Rackley.

B) Gosselin had 3 top 100 rb's available at that point. nfl.com had an additional 5 running backs rated higher than Ridley. But if Belichick wanted a FB type, then it was Ridley or DeLone Carter (who went to the colts). Ridley also had the advantage of being a top STer, an obvious plus for a #4 running back.

C) The BOTTOM LINE is that Ridley may or may not have been there later. No one knew who might want a fullback type. In the end, it was us and the colts. Maybe Belichick could have traded down and gotten Ridley, maybe not.

for those scoring at home.....

2011 NEP draft got:

(from Rick Gosselins top 100 list)

13, Nate Solder OT Colorado
35, Marcus Cannon G TCU
40, Ryan Mallett QB Arkansas
46, Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
68, Shane Vereen RB California
+
best blocking TE in draft
+
2012 first round pick
+
2012 second round pick

So....take a deep breath and step away from the bridge :p

p.s. and yes - I am sure that you there reading this would have done a better job drafting. :bricks:

Last edited:
I give us an "A" for the following reasons (and yes, I hope we get a pass rusher in the future):

1. Solder, with Scarnecchia's help, will be excellent.
2. Dowling will be good if he stays healthy.
3. Great value in Mallett and Cannon picks.
4. Mallett's trade value.
5. Our OL will be tough to handle with Vollmer (6'7"), Solder (6'8"), Cannon (6'5" and 360), Gronk (6'6") and Lee Smith (6'6"). So, our power running game will be very successful (added Ridley).
6. 2 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders next year (good year for WRs).

Yup

Just BTW, Gosselin also had Solder higher than Castonzo.
==========================================

The only "questionable" pick is Ridley at 73.

A) I would have preferred OG Rackley (56), OG Moffitt (76) or DE Bailey (58).
All were high values at 73 who met needs. My strong choice was Rackley.

B) Gosselin had 3 top 100 rb's available at that point. nfl.com had an additional 5 running backs rated higher than Ridley. But if Belichick wanted a FB type, then it was Ridley or DeLone Carter (who went to the colts). Ridley also had the advantage of being a top STer, an obvious plus for a #4 running back.

C) The BOTTOM LINE is that Ridley may or may not have been there later. No one knew who might want a fullback type. In the end, it was us and the colts. Maybe Belichick could have traded down and gotten Ridley, maybe not.

The Colts got Carter? Something tells me that Donald Brown won't be with them much longer.

I like this draft simply for the fact that we got Solder and Cannon. I trust Dante's ability to evaluate offensive lineman over the rest of the team's ability to evaluate anything else. If you look closely at his track record its really unbelievably good.

+1

Love the O line picks. Cannon was a favorite of mine in the 2nd round. Off the charts awesome in the 5th!

Yup

The BOTTOM LINE is that Ridley may or may not have been there later. No one knew who might want a fullback type. In the end, it was us and the colts. Maybe Belichick could have traded down and gotten Ridley, maybe not.

Great point on the draft picks available in the 1st 75. Showed we got value again.

From what I've heard on Ridley is that if he would have had another good year, his draft projection would have been 1st two rounds. Seems like BB got a player who hadn't reached his potential. A pile driver. I was against this pick at first, but I've come to understand the necessity of it.

and yet another positive critique / review of the NEP draft by IMO one of the better national writers (Pat Kirwan):
NFL.com news: Head-scratching drafts for Pats, Seahawks? Think again

Yes true, Pats still have some needs. But for me, they had definate big holes to fill due to players no longer under contract (3 RB's, Light, Neal). Filled them with top 100 talent AND got high round picks next year to boot.

Meanwhile I find it laughible some writers giving Jests a higher draft grade.
Round breakdown:
rounds 1-3: Pats: 5 players / Jets 2 players
rounds 4-7: Pats: 4 players / Jets 4 players

Pats:
1) Drafted more players total than Jests: 9 to 6
2) Drafted more players in Gosselins top 100: 5 to 2
3) Picked up picks for next year: 1 first rounder, 1 second rounder. (Jets = 0)

So we got more players total, more higher rated talent, more picks for next year and yet Jests have a better draft grade?. WTF? Is that some kind of inverse logic? Is it like a golf score where lower is better?

I don't get mad, I just laugh at the absurdity of it all. Give me the man in the hoodie over the fat man in the bathtub, anyday and twice over Sunday. :singing:

and yet another positive critique / review of the NEP draft by IMO one of the better national writers (Pat Kirwan):
NFL.com news: Head-scratching drafts for Pats, Seahawks? Think again

Yes true, Pats still have some needs. But for me, they had definate big holes to fill due to players no longer under contract (3 RB's, Light, Neal). Filled them with top 100 talent AND got high round picks next year to boot.

Meanwhile I find it laughible some writers giving Jests a higher draft grade.
Round breakdown:
rounds 1-3: Pats: 5 players / Jets 2 players
rounds 4-7: Pats: 4 players / Jets 4 players

Pats:
1) Drafted more players total than Jests: 9 to 6
2) Drafted more players in Gosselins top 100: 5 to 2
3) Picked up picks for next year: 1 first rounder, 1 second rounder. (Jets = 0)

So we got more players total, more higher rated talent, more picks for next year and yet Jests have a better draft grade?. WTF? Is that some kind of inverse logic? Is it like a golf score where lower is better?

I don't get mad, I just laugh at the absurdity of it all. Give me the man in the hoodie over the fat man in the bathtub, anyday and twice over Sunday. :singing:

I don't know why everyone is afraid of the Jesters. They mortgaged their future for a couple of tries at the brass ring, and have come up wanting.

I expect the Green Team to start to turn downward eventually into a major rebuild.

You can't draft 2-3 guys a year, then miss on a couple an keep your team replenished over a decade. You'll only have 20 players on your roster... The Jest have been at this for about 8 years now and missed on Duane whatzisname from Kentucky, and Gholston too. They can't afford a single miss.

I don't know why everyone is afraid of the Jesters. They mortgaged their future for a couple of tries at the brass ring, and have come up wanting.

I expect the Green Team to start to turn downward eventually into a major rebuild.

You can't draft 2-3 guys a year, then miss on a couple an keep your team replenished over a decade. You'll only have 20 players on your roster... The Jest have been at this for about 8 years now and missed on Duane whatzisname from Kentucky, and Gholston too. They can't afford a single miss.

The Jets didn't have a 2nd round pick this year. Their 3rd round pick Kenrick Ellis is reportedly in legal trouble already. The Jets also are going to have issues resigning players and losing them to free agency. They're in some pretty deep trouble.

Some people "hated" this draft.....Nobody is calling you names...

Now go take a "time out" :)

Hated with good reason........2011 will be known as "The JAG Draft class". You get to pick your favorite JAGS after the first round or so.
DW Toys

Not sure Cannon will be a JAG...if he gets healthy he could be very good.

Hope I'm around in 3 years to see who the diamonds are and who the busts were. :singing:

Hated with good reason........2011 will be known as "The JAG Draft class". You get to pick your favorite JAGS after the first round or so.
DW Toys

If by (NEP) taking 5 of Rick Gosselins top 100, and they turn out to be JAG's as you predict, then this 2011 draft really would be one of the weakest in last many years. Right up there then with 2007 draft class.

I am hoping however, that you are wrong as I don't believe any other team had taken 5 players in top 100 list.

DW Toys

Would it be too much trouble to ask for you to at the very least, see what these guys look like on the field, on our team, before giving up them?

I mean, I understand they didn't draft who you wanted them to draft, but can you at least try to show some level of faith/perspective?

I wonder what the average age of the Patriots is if Morris,Taylor and Faulk are not brought back?

I wonder what the average age of the Patriots is if Morris,Taylor and Faulk are not brought back?

Adding in Matt Light to those three and the Avg age of the Offense was around 28.

Subbing in all the new guys it's around 26 so we shaved a couple of years off.

The guys who will be 30+ next year on the Offensive side are Brady (34), Branch (32), Welker (30), Koppen (32), and Crumpler (33).

In 2012 that list will hopefully be just Brady (35), Welker (31) and Mankins (30) and the transformation to a younger Offense will be complete.

No way are the Jets going away anytime soon

Sometimes the hatred of the Jets in here makes people believe they are done already when in fact the 'stars' on that team remain signed or will be re-signed

Edwards has said yesterday he is willing to take a pay cut to stay with the team so that leaves the WRs intact and a good portion of the defense is already coming back.

The Jets WILL win 10 games or more again....Question remains if New England will be able to get close to the amount of turnovers they had last year which was in the ridiculously high area
.....That made a HUGE difference in the 14-2 record or 10-6.

I would not count Miami out either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes