PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

we just had a super draft again

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2012 that list will hopefully be just Brady (35), Welker (31) and Mankins (30) and the transformation to a younger Offense will be complete.

That's assuming Welker is resigned, of course. They could look to have Edelman (26) assume that role by then.

I give this draft in a, but the player I really wanted on his team was Brooks Reed.

Maybe we passed on him because he did not fit our scheme:confused:

I just do not see that and I love his tremendous 10 yards split that even beat out Von Miller and this time.

we cannot fix the failed ability to not acquire this talent. A Top Gun10 yard split reaffirms the ability to put pressure on the quarterback forcing him to make mistakes.

I still see the cornerback we selected as a potential stud if he remains thehealthy

The complaine that we did not pick up pass rushers because this rebuilding project needs only one more draft for the patriot team to be top dog in the NFL. This draft we will intend and we will fulfill all of our defenses needs

I give this draft in a, but the player I really wanted on his team was Brooks Reed.

Maybe we passed on him because he did not fit our scheme:confused:

I just do not see that and I love his tremendous 10 yards split that even beat out Von Miller and this time.

we cannot fix the failed ability to not acquire this talent. A Top Gun10 yard split reaffirms the ability to put pressure on the quarterback forcing him to make mistakes.

I still see the cornerback we selected as a potential stud if he remains thehealthy

The complaine that we did not pick up pass rushers because this rebuilding project needs only one more draft for the patriot team to be top dog in the NFL. This draft we will intend and we will fulfill all of our defenses needs

It's still possible we sign Kiwi once free agency begins, he'd help out a lot on getting to the QB. Unfortunately I don't see it happening.

I agree DW - you summed it up well. This year's draft modus operandi was 'lets-not-make-a-mistake'. Safe picks for holes on the roster and few resources (picks) expended this year (no trade ups / trading out til next year).

And guess what - in a year where many wanted to go 'all in', BB instead cashed his chips and walked away early from the table to play again next year. And I completely get it.

Bill didn't know when he would see these rookies, he didn't know how many games would be played, he didn't know when FA would start and how many years of accrued service would qualify. He didn't know how much money it would take to sign this years rookies (rookie wage scale or not). Bill didn't even know for how many years he would be able to sign this years rookies for. So Bill said, F you this years class. I don't know the rules of this game so I don't want to play. And I get it. How are you supposed to develop a draft strategy and a team building strategy for developing these players when you don't even know the most basic thing as how long a contract you are allowed to sign them for?

This years rookie class could well have a redshirt year with little / no OTA's and so why waste a year of their limited rookie contract? Especially on DE conversions and high learning curve positions (WR , defense in Bills complex system). The offense was getting old anyway so take the safe and easy learning curve positions (RB, OT, OG, blocking TE). With unknown rules and not the deepest draft on a already loaded roster - take the safe picks at position with holes (which WILL make the roster) and push as many draft chips into next year. Thats how Bill played draft poker this year while the rules were changing day by day.

And I don't like all of the NEP draft picks -but I understand why he did what he did. Why draft clueless rookies on defense (who you don't trust on the field as little / no OTA's) and waste a year of their contract. Lets see this year on our young defense who develops the most (Pryor, Brace, Deaderick, Weston, Richard, Fletcher, Love, Butler, Whilite, etc). Let these 2nd / 3rd year players get the limited time 'give starters a rest' or 'mop up duty' limited game snaps. Let the 2nd year players get the coaches guidance at practice, let them get the teams resources. Instead of have these 2nd year players knocked off the roster to draft a bunch of highly rated rookie defenders who wont see the field anyway as they won't even have a chance to absorb past page 50 of the playbook. Let alone practice these plays at OTA's.

I htink you have analyzed the situation perfectly. As a famous literary character would have said, "By Jove, you've got it, Watson."

This strategy is nothing new for Bill Belichick. He has openly espoused the idea several times publically, that you don't miss with First Round picks. In fact he never has, although Laurence Moroney did not turn out as well as expected, he did play for three seasons. There certainly have never been any Jet like Gholtons, or Duane whatiznames from Kentucky so far.

The second is to pick up remaining crumbs that slipped, maybe gamble a little, and more importantly the third rounds are the experimental roll the dice. 'all-in' rounds. BB stayed true to his announced principles. Ryan Mallet is an 'all-in' choice. I think he hit a Pot of Marino Gold, due to the silliness of crowds, but we won't know for a while.

In one respect he and Dante did gamble a bit. They could have made the safe pick of Anthony Costanzo, and gotten a Matt Light, good but not the best, type player. But they gambled a bit on Nate Solder who could be average to good, or might still develop into the best in the League, All Pro. For Belichick and Scarnecchia that is a overwhelmingly favorable odds, but still a gamble.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots