PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Have Plenty Of Cap Room For Normal Patriots Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The patriots might make a big splash in free agency, or not. But the difference won't be caused by the lack of cap room

If the team wants to pay Flowers $17M AAV, they certainly can afford it. A long-term deal wouldn't cost anywhere that amount in the 2019 cap.

We start with $24M. Brady's extension is being worked on. I expect McCourty's to be next, and then Van Noy. Mason's will likely wait until camp. .

If Gronk stays, his cap number will be less. Either some of his salary will be converted to NLTBE incentives or he will sign a 2 year extension.

The issue is value in any signing.

BOTTOM LINE
Extensions of Brady, McCourty, Van Noy and Gronk would add over $10M to the $24M now available.

A Flowers contract could be signed with almost any AAV, with a $10M 2019 cap hit.

Last edited:
When do the Patriots have to be under the salary cap? Does the timing of those extensions matter or could it be just at any time during the offseason?

When do the Patriots have to be under the salary cap? Does the timing of those extensions matter or could it be just at any time during the offseason?

The 2019 cap begins on March 13 at 4 PM. The effect of extensions would be felt on the day that notice of an extension is sent to the league office.

T Brown is gone. We need some cheap blood in OL.

The 2019 cap begins on March 13 at 4 PM. The effect of extensions would be felt on the day that notice of an extension is sent to the league office.
I guess my point is, does the timing of restructuring/extending those contracts (so if we do it now compared to in a few weeks) make a difference in our ability to be active in FA next week?

T Brown is gone. We need some cheap blood in OL.

Wouldn’t shock me if we drafted an OT with one of our first three picks I’f we’re concerned with Wynn making it all the way back next season.

IIRC, in the off-season they only count the top 51 players. Then come cut down time they need to be under with all 53 I think.

I still think flowers is bb’s number 1 priority in free agency.

We have Wynn if brown leaves and we can draft the kicker from Utah on day 3 if Gostkowski leaves.

But we do not have another utility knife/impact player like flowers to plug in if he leaves.

I would expect to use a top pick for an OT unless we trade for someone who could start of necessary.

Ww have Wynn and Cannon and no backups.

Wouldn’t shock me if we drafted an OT with one of our first three picks I’f we’re concerned with Wynn making it all the way back next season.

I guess my point is, does the timing of restructuring/extending those contracts (so if we do it now compared to in a few weeks) make a difference in our ability to be active in FA next week?

The patriots will negotiate whatever restructures or extensions that they need to in time to be active, if they should take that approach to free agency.

Why would they rework Mason's contract he just signed it last year?

because $3M can be freed up, and MIGHT be needed as come close to the final cuts
=====
Miguel has been suggesting this for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back