PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Drafting a QB

Thing about focusing on the draft is FA comes first, so it’s almost impossible to say how the draft is going to go because team needs aren’t established yet. Pats sign Kirk cousins to a 3 year 75 mil deal qb becomes less of a MUST draft at #3. Give one of those 2nd tier QBs 2-3 years to sit and learn might get the next Love though so certainly an interesting thought process I would not be opposed to.

Here is my off season plan, step 1 recognize this is not a playoff team next year and focus on long term building of the core. There are too many holes to fill in one offseason so dont bother trying. I’d rather double dip on major issues so they get fixed, then single dip on all the issues and be totally screwed when one doesn’t work out. FA sign one of the good enough to start but not good enough to be a franchise QB Mayfield, Tanahill, Flacco etc idc which one to a 2 year 30-40 mil deal expecting them to start this year while the o line sucks and hopefully a highly drafted rookie learns. At least stop the bleeding so you can evaluate the rest of the roster.

I’m all in on tee Higgins give him a 5 year 22 per deal that is actually a 4 year 18 per but get him in the building. Lastly, and I don’t have a specific name but more a type that hopefully someone more in tune with NFL rosters can supply, a 32-35 year old starting LT that’s making too much money. Needs to be traded for cap relief and a couple of 4ths or 5ths will get it done. Again only expecting to start a year while a rookie gets swing tackle/jumbo TE experience. Besides that, just the usual depth signings and resigning the key FA Owenu and Hunter. Love Dugger but peppers is enough and they need a FS type more then another big hitter.

Draft, hope Drake Maye falls to 3, I’m not trading up for any of the top players and want nothing to do with Caleb Williams. He has primadonna bust written all over him, and while I only have watched highlight reels those have been enough to show me he doesn’t routinely make NFL caliber throws. Lots of broken plays where he hits a wide open guy for a long TD. Compared to Maye, pocket breaking down, trash at his feet, hits his covered guy in a spot only he can get to. That’s what the NFL will be like , so obviously either or both can be a bust, but I like what I have seen. Give him a year to sit, develop and learn from a vet, Star top 10 QB for the next 10 years.

MHJ isn’t Randy Moss he’s a taller faster version of his father, so he’s a guy that will get open a ton and make an offense work but isn’t explosive oooo did you see that? I can see him getting 6 catches for 80 yards game in and game out. He’s just not the guy that will take over and win you a game like Randy could. I’d absolutely love him on the team but any receiver is a waste of resources if you don’t have a QB or an oline. If this was next years draft and some of the holes had been filled I’d be in on drafting MHJ but at this point if he’s who is left of the big 3 I am trying to trade down, no lower then 6 so we still get one of the elite LT prospects. Pick up an extra 2nd rounder. So plan A Maye and trade up with our 2nd and a 3rd to get back into the late first and grab a LT. Plan B trade down get LT then use 2 2nd round picks on QB and WR.

TL;DR version spend the entire offseason fixing QB, LT, WR and leave the rest of the holes til next year.
Wasn’t too long to read, but I stopped at sign Cousins for 3 years and 75 million.

it's not wasted at all

They obv only pick one qb if they believe he can develop into a franchise qb

the pats have a rare opportunity to select a franchise qb here picking this high
I’m sure the Raiders didn’t think they were wasting their pick on Jamarcus Russel at all,

But the next two picks were Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas.

I’m sure the Raiders didn’t think they were wasting their pick on Jamarcus Russel at all,

But the next two picks were Calvin Johnson and Joe Thomas.
well thats the draft, you can't be 100 percent certain

Having a good team doesn't make you a contender with low tier qb play
and the pats certainly lack talent on offense. Selecting MHJ won't make any difference any time soon, selecting your eventual franchise qb will

I stand by that because the landscape has now changed and I believe the value chart is not some bible anymore.
We have a similar points system in our league and we have a nickname for them.

The magical fairy dust points.

Trade Mac and the #4 pick to Detroit for Hendon Hooker then select JJ McCarthy at the top of round 3. Mac cheaply replaces Bridgewater and its better than getting a 7th rounder for him. Plus after today, Goff looks like their long term starter. Hooker had a year to recover from his ACL and if it doesn’t work out J.J. gets worked in mid-year to get ready for 2025 (heck - he just turned old enough to legally drink). In this scenario, we take Harrison with #3 pick and the best OT with #34.

He's almost certainly not Moss, but both he and his dad ran 40s in the 4.3 range. Not sure why that means he can't be explosive.

I mean I'd totally use the #3 pick on a taller version of a Hall of Famer, but that might just be me. Plus he's been recorded at 22.2mph which if accurate* would be top #3 all time for fastest recorded NFL WRs in NextGenStats' 6 year history. Everyone's got a different definition of "explosive," but it'd fit mine.

*Take with grain of salt
I didn’t realize he was that fast based on the highlights I saw. I’m not a guy who watches a bunch of games but what I saw was a possession type receiver more then a take the top off deep threat like Moss. There is more to being explosive than strait line speed though that certainly helps. Moss not only was crazy fast he could also jump out of the building, and according to BB was one of the smartest players he has been around. I’m not doubting MHJ has the potential to be really good, I’m just saying the people comparing him to the 2nd best WR ever may need to slow down a bit, and that’s not the WR he reminds me of.

The reason I wouldn’t draft him at 3 actually has nothing to do with him amd everything to do with the current patriot team. Adding a WR to a team that has no QB or offensive line is a waste of resources.

Wasn’t too long to read, but I stopped at sign Cousins for 3 years and 75 million.
Why? Too much money? It was merely an example of how the patriots draft could completely change after FA not something I was advocating for.

My personal dream scenario: Williams and Maye go 1 and 2. We call up a Arizona and tell them we are taking Harrison unless they offer us the 4 and their other 1st rounder. If they bite on that, take Daniels and the best tackle available later in the 1st.

If they don’t bite, I still take Daniels and probably try and trade up from 34 to get our tackle.

What if Chicago goes with MHJ, then Willians goes second, we can take Maye who I'd rather have then Daniels. Chicago also has a second 1st rd pick so who knows what they're going to do. Maybe they think with MHJ that Fields will get better.

Trade Mac and the #4 pick to Detroit for Hendon Hooker

Cocaine use is bad for your health!

244otz.jpg

I wouldn't give a box of donuts for Hendon Hooker, no less a top 5 overall draft pick in the 1st round!

Pats may not be drafting a QB, Kraft really believe in Mac Jones and his 4.00 GPA. I anticipate he will tell Mayo to give Mac a chance.
That would be a move straight out of clown college. I know we've made some dumb decisions in the draft before, but that would take the cake!

I honestly don't think Kraft actively interferes in the draft. If he even utters such a sentence to Mayo he should tell "Thunder" as he calls him to go shove it!

That would be a move straight out of clown college. I know we've made some dumb decisions in the draft before, but that would take the cake!
Get ready for it.

Cocaine use is bad for your health!

244otz.jpg

I wouldn't give a box of donuts for Hendon Hooker, no less a top 5 overall draft pick in the 1st round!
Not to worry about drug use but not sure where you came up with a top 5 pick in the first round for Hooker as I believe I noted a 4th round pick not our #3 pick. And if the donuts are Dunkin’s that’s worth about a 4th round pick…

What if Chicago goes with MHJ, then Willians goes second, we can take Maye who I'd rather have then Daniels
That's my dream scenario but at this stage it's looking pretty unlikely but there's still a long way to go so who knows what might happen.

Trade Mac and the #4 pick to Detroit for Hendon Hooker then select JJ McCarthy at the top of round 3. Mac cheaply replaces Bridgewater and its better than getting a 7th rounder for him. Plus after today, Goff looks like their long term starter. Hooker had a year to recover from his ACL and if it doesn’t work out J.J. gets worked in mid-year to get ready for 2025 (heck - he just turned old enough to legally drink). In this scenario, we take Harrison with #3 pick and the best OT with #34.
This isn’t registering.

I didn’t realize he was that fast based on the highlights I saw. I’m not a guy who watches a bunch of games but what I saw was a possession type receiver more then a take the top off deep threat like Moss. There is more to being explosive than strait line speed though that certainly helps. Moss not only was crazy fast he could also jump out of the building, and according to BB was one of the smartest players he has been around. I’m not doubting MHJ has the potential to be really good, I’m just saying the people comparing him to the 2nd best WR ever may need to slow down a bit, and that’s not the WR he reminds me of.

The reason I wouldn’t draft him at 3 actually has nothing to do with him amd everything to do with the current patriot team. Adding a WR to a team that has no QB or offensive line is a waste of resources.
He averaged 18.1 yards a catch this year and had 14 TDs. That says a bit more than possession receiver to me.

it's not wasted at all

the pats have a rare opportunity to select a franchise qb here picking this high
You can't say both:

I think you have to take a qb, there is no other option. And then built a team around him

and

You can't have it both ways.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents