PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We Drafting a QB

Seems pretty likely Williams and Maye will be considered “worth” top 3 picks.

The X factor here is Daniels. How he grades out pre draft largely will determine if he truly is worthy of being a top 5-10 guy. If he’s in that range, it’s a no brainer.

I think they are just worried about fixing their own ****. No time to worry about duping others. Being too preoccupied with that is part of the reason the roster is the way it is now.

There's nothing so complicated in that statement as to suggest preoccupation with outsmarting anyone. The fact he didn't outright say "quarterback" but "a very important position" suggests he either isn't completely sure or wants to keep people guessing to some extent. WR and OT are very important positions for this team as well.

is it out of the question - if he has identified his target - that we would now trade up to secure the pick?
Do we have the resources to make that move? Feel like it will take a ransom to trade up with Chicago. An amount that may leave us pick starved for years.

We need a QB. But that may be too much.

If they like all 3 QBs then what is another team gonna do by knowing they’re taking a QB? Only 2 spots ahead of them so one is guaranteed to be there.

I don’t think Mayo is at that level yet where he’s playing games. No offense to him. He was barely catching himself from saying “quarterback” itself here. I don’t think he is capable of subversion like that at this stage, but probably will be eventually.

I think they are just worried about fixing their own ****. No time to worry about duping others. Being too preoccupied with that is part of the reason the roster is the way it is now.
I just don’t buy they already know what position they are drafting
If that is the case then Kraft was lying about looking outside eventually for a GM

If Groh/Wolf are the GM’s and Mayo just gave away what position we were all in on
Then that’s his first major blunder.
I understand being transparent with the players.
Why would you show your hand so far in advance

Do we have the resources to make that move? Feel like it will take a ransom to trade up with Chicago. An amount that may leave us pick starved for years.

We need a QB. But that may be too much.
If its for a franchise qb, can we afford not to?

If Groh/Wolf are the GM’s and Mayo just gave away what position we were all in on
Then that’s his first major blunder.
I understand being transparent with the players.
Why would you show your hand so far in advance
I think that everyone already knows we are going to draft a qb.

Burton specifically asked him what they’re gonna do with the 3rd pick in the draft, his answer was this.
No he didn't. He specifically asked how excited Mayo was for the draft.

"How excited are you for the draft? You've got the 3rd pick in the draft, and now it's on your shoulders."

Rookie move, need the Art of war.
I think he is just confusing folks . What if bears want to force pats hand and trade them fields. Now that mayo has said it could possibly be a qb, Bears are limited in terms of what trade they can do with the pats or the assets they can obtain for fields.

If falcons gets russel wilson and raiders stay pat and vikings go on with cousins, Bears will be forced out of options .

If Bears want caleb and Marvin Harrison they need to trade with pats and provide a decent ransom so that we can draft a OT, wr and developmental qb .

I think it's time for us to fleece the bears.

If its for a franchise qb, can we afford not to?
There is a balance between sacrificing in order to obtain a franchise QB, and setting him up to fail.

While a lot of the defense has a good nucleus, the offense would be setup to fail without any high draft capital the next few years.

Not sure we can give up 3 firsts, a couple 2nd’s, etc…

It's like Edelman said today.

"It's a Quarterback league"
It’s Maye or Daniel’s,
Mayo isn’t picking a primadonna like Caleb or I think we can’t rule out trading for Fields if Bears fall in love with Caleb.

There's nothing so complicated in that statement as to suggest preoccupation with outsmarting anyone. The fact he didn't outright say "quarterback" but "a very important position" suggests he either isn't completely sure or wants to keep people guessing to some extent. WR and OT are very important positions for this team as well.
With this team, on offense, every position is very important!

I think that everyone already knows we are going to draft a qb.
If that is the case
Then this whole ”once we evaluate everything. We will start to look outside“ fir a GM is a bunch of BS
Or Kraft who said he never gets involved in personel unless they had bad behavoir has already told Mayo that they are getting a QB
So that would undermine the whole transparent image they were trying to portray

There is a balance between sacrificing in order to obtain a franchise QB, and setting him up to fail.

While a lot of the defense has a good nucleus, the offense would be setup to fail without any high draft capital the next few years.

Not sure we can give up 3 firsts, a couple 2nd’s, etc…
A trade up from 3 to 1 should not be ludicrously expensive, especially since pick 3 would be MHJ who is still a 1st overall pick-level talent. I bet the Pats could get that done with just sending this year’s 2nd. Granted, that’s still a pretty high pick, but you’d be able to get the specific QB you want. I wouldn’t do it, as the Pats need that pick too badly.

It’s Maye or Daniel’s,
Mayo isn’t picking a primadonna like Caleb or I think we can’t rule out trading for Fields if Bears fall in love with Caleb.
Newsflash - they're all primadonnas.

A trade up from 3 to 1 should not be ludicrously expensive, especially since pick 3 would be MHJ who is still a 1st overall pick-level talent. I bet the Pats could get that done with just sending this year’s 2nd. Granted, that’s still a pretty high pick, but you’d be able to get the specific QB you want. I wouldn’t do it, as the Pats need that pick too badly.
I saw a mock draft where we go to 1 to get Caleb and it cost us 3 first round picks and a second next year.

I don’t think this is typical “Jimmy Johnson trade value chart” stuff here.

Bears are well aware the value of being in a spot to take Williams is. It will take multiple firsts. Book it.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back